It's a Snowstorm. I'm Calling it a Snowstorm.

It's a Snowstorm. I'm Calling it a Snowstorm.Environment Canada has issued a winter storm watch for much of southern and parts of eastern Ontario, extending from London to Peterborough, and including Toronto.

Between 15 and 25 centimetres of snow along with strong easterly winds are expected. It'll be the most snow we've seen since in Toronto since February 2009.

It's not the Snowpocalypse or Snowmaggeden, it's not even a Snowicane or Snowpalooza. It's just a snowstorm.

You might want to work from home tomorrow.

Cheryl

I always work at home. No worries there. I don't plan on going out today or tomorrow. I just wonder how it is in Barrie because my trainer is there. He won't be coming home until Sunday as the curling is still on. My trainer lost the first two games yesterday, but handily won the last one 8 to 2. It was a blowout. Well, three more games left. If they win them all, I guess they could sneak into the playoffs and if they win it all, go to the Brier. I don't know. Brier means another week without workouts at the beginning of March.

My Habs lost though 2 to 1 last night and my Suns lost. No good. The good thing was that my favourite player, PK Subban scored a goal last nighit, his first goal. That's great. PK is the best. He's a superstar.

February 7, 2013 @ 9:44 AM

Andrew

Hey Mike,

Will you brave SnowStorm 2013 to make it to the Blue Party?

@Cheryl - He'll be fine. I'm leaving Saturday afternoon for the event - roads should be good by then and then it's supposed to warm up and rain.

I think we are supposed to get around 20cm in south Niagara around the falls.

Cheers,
Andrew

February 7, 2013 @ 9:55 AM

@Andrew

I'll definitely do my best to make it to the Blue Party. I'm looking forward to it!

February 7, 2013 @ 10:05 AM

Andrew

@Mike,

I'm sure it'll be good, if people can get there. I won't be... I'll be manning the snow fort!

Cheers,
Andrew

February 7, 2013 @ 10:38 AM

Corey

Grumpy today because the first thing I heard on the radio was a weather reporter saying, "Snowmageddon". God I HATE that, and any other over-blown, idiotic, unoriginal buzzword to describe a weather event. Equally hated is the lazy, moronic suffix "gate" to any scandal. Are there any intelligent journalists left? If I was an editor, I would fire any reporter on the spot who tried to use any of these cliches.

February 7, 2013 @ 11:05 AM

Jamie

Etiquette question Mike.... Since I'll have to leave at 4:30a.m tomorrow to come to work, would I be allowed to use my loud ass snowblower at 4:00a.m or is this considered a noise by-law faux pas?

February 7, 2013 @ 11:11 AM

Argie

Corey,

Going along with that, any journalist who uses buzz phrases like "game changer", "ramping up" or "a conversation" should also be canned.

February 7, 2013 @ 11:27 AM

Guys... you just fired all the journalists!

The gate one is fascinating, b/c Watergate was the name of the hotel. Adding '-gate' to a scandal doesn't mean anything. It's dumb.

February 7, 2013 @ 11:31 AM

Corey

Oh, thought of another irritant. Is there a way to fire all the brain-dead internet posters who invariably will post "Better call out the Army, Toronto!" under every story related to this event? Nothing like a 14 year old reference to get us laughing. Throw in some Y2K jokes, and you'll have us all "ROFL"ing.

February 7, 2013 @ 11:57 AM

Andrew

I always quote this classic MAD-TV skit... WINDSTORM '97!

Good laugh.
Cheers,
Andrew

February 7, 2013 @ 12:26 PM

Lorne

Snowmageddon!
Snowpocalypse!
Snowtastrophe!

Snowocaust! (ummm...)
Snowcentration Camps! (What?)
Snowschwitz! (Bob, the CRTC is calling...)

{Bob gets dragged off screen, screaming}

Hotel Snowanda!!!!!!!!!

February 7, 2013 @ 12:37 PM

Geoff

"Much of southern and eastern Ontario is bracing for a winter storm Thursday night."

I always wondered how people "brace" themselves for a storm?

February 7, 2013 @ 12:49 PM

4x4 Time

@Geoff - I "brace" myself for a storm by pouring a glass of Jack Daniels, spinning some vinyl, and waiting for the snow to stop. Works great everytime..

February 7, 2013 @ 1:03 PM

Blind Dave

@ 4x4 Time

That's the way to do it!

Here in Saskatchewan where we get actual SNOW, we'd refer to the upcoming Toronto "storm" as a "dusting".

February 7, 2013 @ 1:18 PM

Steve

If the journalists want to change up the snow thing, I'd be completely fine with somebody trying out any of the following:
Snowsni Mubarak
Snowbodan Milošević
Snowmar Gaddafi
Snowddam Hussein
Snowsama Bin Laden
Snowlin Powell

Both unexpected and educational as it would help people with their current events.

February 7, 2013 @ 1:25 PM

Anonymous

The correct branding for this storm is maximum snowverdrive.

February 7, 2013 @ 1:56 PM

Stephanie

I thought I was going to have to wait until tomorrow to weigh-in on the 'snow' topic through Open Mike..

It's crazy out there. It's snow. We've all seen it before and we know how to deal with it! The grocery stores are reminiscent of what we see on tv when a cat 5 hurricane is racing towards the Bayou and people are driving frantically with look of fear.

I would have ordered through Grocery Gateway but I know what would have happened... "Something" would have been backordered or unacceptably substituted, I'm sure... ;-)

February 7, 2013 @ 2:36 PM

I have to pick up the kids at school at 5 and my car doesn't have snow tires.

I plan to drive slower and very carefully.

I also plan to avoid grocery stores.

February 7, 2013 @ 2:43 PM

Pete McPhedran

@T.O. Mike,

You DON'T have snow tires, this from the guy that demands everyone get a flu shot!

Walk to school and save the smart ones amongst us that were sensible and have snow tires or at least "all-seasons".

For all the h8ters, I'm joking with Mike ;-)

Has anyone else noticed that @Cheryl treats every post like it's an Open Mike?

--Pete (skiing to work tomorrow)

February 7, 2013 @ 4:47 PM

@Pete McPhedran

I'm a very careful driver, and quite sensible, but not even I can will the influenza virus from my body. :)

By the way, my flu shot this year was the best ever. No arm pain, so fast... Awesome!

February 7, 2013 @ 4:50 PM

Liz

@Stephanie

You made me laugh with your Grocery Gateway comment! And, you know why.

Just got home - we live in the country so the back roads made for some tricky driving. No one was going anywhere near the speed limit.

Got a nice fire going (in the fireplace, thankfully :) and have all the ingredients ready to make a nice dinner while I listen to Bill Brioux on H&F.

@Toronto Mike

Heard the podcast last week so I know you would not like our dinner tonight - WAY too many veggies! :) Looking forward to hearing the episode you and Rosie are doing tomorrow - thanks for doing them!

Take it easy out there everyone (except Argie, who I encourage to wrap himself around a pole at high speed).

Enjoy a nice, snowy evening.

February 7, 2013 @ 5:14 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Have to work in Midland and Gravenhurst Friday, just going to leave extra early, and since I have Snow tires, it won't be much of a snowmaggedon for me.

@ Jamie. Give a listen to FreddieP's Snow Removal machine for some guidance. Always loved this!

February 7, 2013 @ 5:23 PM

Rosie

@Pete you took the words right out of my mouth... And I'm not joking. It is ridiculous to lecture everyone about getting the flu shot and then drive around in terrible weather with no snow tires.

But I can say no more... The Management has ordered me to save it for the podcast.

February 7, 2013 @ 5:26 PM

Your math skills are bad. Two wrongs never make a right.

But I'm saving it for the podcast.

February 7, 2013 @ 6:42 PM

andrew

Quebec made "winter" tires mandatory 2 years ago & have seen much less accidents. They should be mandatory everywhere & it's the idiots with "all season tires after using them for 5-6 years - bald as Kojak" think they are OK that causes all the problems. Believe me I learned the hard way 5-6 years ago driving into a ditch with no control following the driver ahead of me also ditching it.

Snow Tires don't exist anymore as they are properly known as Winter Tires.

February 7, 2013 @ 6:48 PM

Pete McPhedran

@Rosie,

Oh nos, you're working for "the man" now and you are already getting censored ;-)

@T.O. Mike, I'm coming around to getting the flu shot. I have done some very informal polling (read: grilling) of some Dr and nurse friends of mine that I trust very much and respect their opinions. I think I will get one next year.

--Pete

February 7, 2013 @ 6:48 PM

@Pete McPhedran

It's okay to say I've made great sense and talked you into it. :)

Welcome to the sensible club.

February 7, 2013 @ 6:51 PM

Gump

@andrew
"... seen much less accidents ...".

"fewer", not "less" in cases of quantity.

This message has been brought to you by the Grammar Police. Schoolhouse Rock animation to follow.

February 7, 2013 @ 7:09 PM

Gump

I'm going to put on my iPod and crank this song (my fav energy song from 2012) and think of my cottage as I shovel my driveway (and my elderly neighbour's too).

February 7, 2013 @ 7:13 PM

Corey

@ Mike,

Hey, we get to lecture you! There's no reason not to have 4 proper snow tires on your vehicles. All-Seasons don't cut it, and it doesn't cost anymore $$$ to have them, because you end up using the summer tires half the amount of time. I have little patience for "very careful" drivers who have to drive 10-15 km slower than everyone else who have proper winter tires on.

February 7, 2013 @ 7:15 PM

@Corey

You're right.

Although I drive about 15 km a week these days.

But you're right.

February 7, 2013 @ 8:04 PM

Gump

Hate to pile-on here (well, not really, a pile-on is fun especially on a optional-pants snowday) but snow tires are essential equipment for driving in Toronto, even if you only 'need' them a minimum of two or three times a winter. All it takes is one avoided fender-bender because of the different rubber compound of snow tires that work when it it under 5C to make them pay for themselves many times over.

February 7, 2013 @ 8:18 PM

Rick C in Oakville

I'm with Gump, only if you need them 2 or 3 times a season. Last snow storm I took the lakeshore to Browns line, and went up to the 427, and 1/2 the cars could not make the little hill heading towards the Chrysler casting plant. All the snow tired vehicles just breezed by.

February 7, 2013 @ 8:36 PM

Lorne

Have to agree with the other posters. I'm a good driver, too, but having driven both with and without snow tires-- its a world of difference. And no matter how good of a driver we are, there's gonna be a moment when reaction time will only get you so far. Or too far, as the case may be.

I get my flu shot because I understand biology. I get snow tires because I understand physics. =)

February 7, 2013 @ 9:00 PM

Gary

Lorne...if you really understood biology, you might not get the flu shot.

(here we go...)

February 7, 2013 @ 9:07 PM

Matt

Just went from Oakville to Brampton on the 407 and not a soul in sight! I'll gladly pay a few bucks anytime for the convenience of the 407.

City roads weren't that bad either.

Quebec has it right. Snow tires should be MANDATORY for everyone!

February 7, 2013 @ 9:59 PM

CQ

I wouldn't demand mandatory snow tires as law. In the Toronto pocket under the 401 highway, we are only talking about 2 or 3 days per winter of adverse road conditions. Take the Transit. In a day or two the streets are all cleared and dry.
Then ask where all those condo and townhouse owners (plus apartment dwellers) will store their extra set of tires. It's not like my 80+ dad's day of simply leaving them around the roomy garage, for free.

February 7, 2013 @ 11:39 PM

Teena in Toronto

Yep, I'm working from home tomorrow.

February 7, 2013 @ 11:41 PM

Lorne

@Gary I'd argue, but it's a done topic. It's even on Mikes List Of Those Topics.

And besides, you're wrong. =)

February 8, 2013 @ 8:46 AM

Gary

@Lorne...it is a done topic and I am not wrong.

February 8, 2013 @ 1:00 PM

Douglas

I agree with Corey and others who despise mass media's need to placate sheeple with stupid names for various events. Mike is right. This is a snowstorm - unless you're from western Canada, where this would be a snowfall.

February 8, 2013 @ 1:37 PM

Pete McPhedran

Looks like someone got my picture going to work today http://pic.twitter.com/SOPo4qpM

--Pete

February 8, 2013 @ 3:42 PM

Listen to the first episode of my girlfriend's new podcast here:

She calls it "In Her Shoes" and she lets me talk on it.

February 8, 2013 @ 4:07 PM

Ya

Andrew, just what we need more government intervention in our lives by forcing us to winter tires. Are you part of the tire lobby-group?

It aint the tires its the skill of the drivers & the competence of the snow-plowers who instead of salting to remove snow, how about just lowering their plows & PLOWING.

PS Why are the main sidewalks not plowed on main streets(ie Bathurst, Yonge) but yet i see these crews on residential streets even parks?

February 8, 2013 @ 4:19 PM

Douglas

As andrew correctly notes, we have "winter" tires now. Why not "snow" tires? The difference isn't quite so much the tread pattern anymore, but more a recognition, after the rubber/tire industry learned that they really cannot change the laws of chemistry and physics. Once the temperatures drop below 7°C/45°F, you need a tire that is optimized for colder temperatures, because rubber that is pliant for traction and grip at higher temperatures just does not have the ability to make sufficient contact with the road anymore (conversely, try driving in really warm temperatures with winter tires and you'll think you have Jell-O on your rims). "All-season" (sic) tires were the greatest lie ever foisted on lazy, ignorant car owners who just didn't want to be bothered with doing the right thing. Better to have winter tires and two-wheel drive than four- or all-wheel drive on warm weather tires.

Pretty simple, actually - if it never goes below 7°C where you live, you don't need winter/cold weather tires.

I had plenty of fun on my short drives to and from work today - full-time all-wheel drive (not "slip and transfer power to the other wheels and hope for grip") and winter tires. Since I was the last one at the office, I had fun doing donuts in the parking lot.

February 8, 2013 @ 7:02 PM

Cheryl

Well, guess what. My trainer's team won't be in the playoffs. He won today, and there is another game tonight, but they're mathematically out of the playoffs. Let's hope that my trainer makes it home safely. He may go home tomorrow. I'm not sure if he will or if he's going to stay for the finals and just watch.

February 8, 2013 @ 7:31 PM