Toronto Mike'd (City Love) - A Podcast Theme Song From iLLvibe

Toronto Mike'd (City Love) - A Theme Song From iLLvibeI've dropped a few hints about the podcast I'm going to start. It'll be a half hour a week, discussing a few Toronto-centric topics that are also covered on this blog. I'm doing it because I think it will be fun.

Originally I was going to use Lowest of the Low's Rosy and Grey as the theme song, but then I had a better idea. I had local musician and producer extraordinaire iLLvibe produce an original track I could use without having to deal with any licensing issues. Here's the new theme song from iLLvibe.

Toronto Mike'd (City Love)

Download the MP3

Honestly... what do you think?

CQ

Need you ask? It's no T.O. Town by Rockadrome.
Then again, like Today's 'T-dot', maybe your intended audience excludes me.

August 2, 2012 @ 1:43 PM

Lyle Lanley

Am I the only one who never understands what CQ is trying to say?

I'm going to state the obvious: if you hate rap or 'urban' music, you'll hate this song.

I happen to like this song. Good job!

August 2, 2012 @ 1:47 PM

Ken U Barrett

Ya ,Ok other than maybe the two shysters Mumble & Ted whom really gives a shirt.

August 2, 2012 @ 1:50 PM

@Ken U Barrett

Firstly, welcome back.

Secondly, I must disagree with your comment. Neither Humble nor Fred likely give a shit.

August 2, 2012 @ 1:51 PM

Declan

Why would anyone hate this?

It's a nice little ditty that plays on a podcast. It's not the bloody national anthem!

Excellent work iLLvibe.

August 2, 2012 @ 1:59 PM

Monica

It reminds me of the City Guys theme song.

August 2, 2012 @ 2:01 PM

@Monica

I completely missed City Guys. Wikipedia says it was "similar in style to Saved by the Bell, but with an urban setting and more diverse cast".

Perfect! All similarities are completely intentional.

August 2, 2012 @ 2:09 PM

Rosie & Scott

LOVE IT

it's so groooovy!

August 2, 2012 @ 2:39 PM

Sam in Pickering

I just played it 8 times in a row. I think I really like it.

August 2, 2012 @ 2:57 PM

elvis

@Lyle - CQ has some good ideas but he needs an editor.

August 2, 2012 @ 3:50 PM

Lorne

Technically sounds good. Given that it'll be a theme, and you won't play the whole thing at the start of every 'cast, you might want to shorten the opening a bit.

It always sounds weird hearing "Toronto" in a song. A bit too much like singing your own name. Maybe that's just me.

My only real critique is that (again, could be just me), having a theme song *about* the podcast itself feels a bit over the top. Some of my favorite theme songs are thematically relevant, but not literally about the thing they're theming. Example: "C'mon, C'mon", Von Bondies, used as the theme for Rescue Me. There's no doubt that song FITS the show, but the lyrics themselves aren't about a firefighter named Gavin whose havin' some pain.

Think about the theme to The Wire...

Of course, if the theme was just a snippet of the song about Toronto/City Love, it fits nicely-- and discovering the rest of the lyrics is a nice hidden bonus for fans of the podcast who listen to the whole track.

August 2, 2012 @ 4:35 PM

@Lorne

Now that's feedback! Awesome...

August 2, 2012 @ 4:41 PM

Curmudgeon

Nice. I agree with everything Lorne said. Except I've never seen "Rescue me" or "The Wire". I know, I know. I'll get to it!!

August 2, 2012 @ 5:15 PM

Cheryl

Not a good song. How about playing Cold Cold toronto by Trooper instead. It's not a big hit, but it's on their Knock Em Dead Kid album.

August 2, 2012 @ 6:02 PM

Corey

I'll admit I stopp do playback about 1/3 of the way through, not because I hated it, just because I got the gist. I suppose it's be fine shortened down for an intro.

On a sort of related topic, I haven't heard Scary Pete (who has created some awesome theme songs and jingles for H&F)on the podcast for weeks. Did I miss something? Do you know Mike?

August 2, 2012 @ 10:10 PM

@Corey

My understanding is that Pete is just busy this summer with the kids out of school and all. He was going to join the Kingston trip but his friend passed away.

I'm sure he'll be dropping in again after Labour Day.

August 2, 2012 @ 10:42 PM

Ryan G

Well produced but I don't think the tone and genre are right for TO Mike.

Of all the posts Mike's made about his fave tunes, I don't recall much about hip hop or urban music, so for me there's a disconnect.

I think Mike you said you're a huge pearl jam fan, so perhaps they'll throw a little ditty together for you for a few hundred thou.

August 3, 2012 @ 9:02 AM

Jason Patterson

Toronto hip hop makes me chortle

August 4, 2012 @ 7:11 AM

Here are the lyrics for the Toronto Mike'd theme song: Toronto Mike'd (City Love):

Im in Toronto, where you wanna give the city love /
Im from Toronto where you wanna give the city love /
Im with Toronto Miked we wanna give the city love /
My City Love me back for my City Love /

What up Toronto Mike, Im feelin on a roll /
Grade A Podcast find em on'a honour roll /
Jumped in head first like geronamo /
Talkin fo' the whole city that Im callin home /
See, we runnin round toronto we in a rush,
in immediate effect, we need a media to trust /
Because the grievences discussed here /
we be the end of us /
The people on the bus and the cubicles a bust /
Its just an offer a 30 minutes a cool /
Cause in toronto the dirty winters a cruel /
And city summers are hot / gets gritty up in the dot /
Lets read in between the lines and really sum up the plot /
When politicians are crooks / Toronto misses no looks /
As long as they listen in when Mike is up in the books /
Or on the blog bombin em whats goin on at night /
With his partna droppin on em got it locked Toronto Miked /

May 3, 2019 @ 8:47 AM

Jody Thornton

@Toronto Mike:

I'm sooooo glad that you didn't listen to Lorne's feedback six years ago. I love the theme song.

May 4, 2019 @ 5:12 AM

Rick C in Oakville

@ jODY, thanks for resurrecting this, almost 7 years of Podcasting, wow! And to Corey's comments to Scary Pete, haven't heard any content from him since his Shut the Puck up video/song since the NHL strike of many years ago. I still have the T shirt for my night wear.

May 4, 2019 @ 6:50 PM