My First CD in Years

CDI just cracked open Neil Young's Americana CD. It's the first CD I've "bought" in years and years.

It was bundled with tickets to his concert at the ACC this November, so it was sort of a forced sale. I'm not even sure what to do with this CD other than to rip it to MP3. Throughout the 90s, I purchased hundreds and hundreds of discs, but this might be my first one in a decade.

2012-07-14 11.27.49.jpg

Does anyone out there still buy CDs?

Blind Dave

I bought one about two years ago.

Al Stewart - Sparks Of Ancient Light.

July 14, 2012 @ 11:59 AM

Andrew

I bought one Wednesday night at the Low concert in Lewiston. It was the 20th Anniversary remix of Shakespeare (which I had) but I really wanted the DVD that drummer David Alexander did. Can't wait to see it.

Cheers

July 14, 2012 @ 12:22 PM

Suburb Steve

About a month ago I picked up "Clockwork Angels" by Rush and love it. Their best in many years....I still like to own, touch and feel hard copies of certain bands. Americana is on my short list, so Mike, if you've got no use for this foreign and dated medium feel free to send it over!

July 14, 2012 @ 4:00 PM

J9

I was disappointed at the cost of the tickets for this concert. I have resigned myself to paying good coin for great seats, but $275 is outrageous.

July 14, 2012 @ 4:29 PM

@Suburb Steve

I'm happy to share the love. How far in the suburbs are ya?

I play ball near Derry and Kennedy in Brampton every Monday. Are you any where near there?

July 14, 2012 @ 7:25 PM

Suburb Steve

Looks like I will have to make a trip to the local HMV at Upper Canada Mall, here in Newmarket (!)... Thanks anyway Mike. BTW what's your take on it? I previewed it online, where Neil does a short film with each of the songs played to the backdrop of artwork from an art gallery he tours. All done to silent film type cinema. It was an interesting way to view it, but I'd still prefer just me, Neil and a stiff drink on the rocks one of these perfect summer evenings (which we've had plenty of!) before I really come to grips with those cover tunes.....Prarie Wind is my choice of anything he's done in the last 20 years or so.

July 14, 2012 @ 11:55 PM

Douglas

Absolutely, I still buy CDs. The audio of a CD is still uncompressed. By definition, it will sound better. I still appreciate the effort that an artist puts into the package, with artwork, photos, lyrics and more that are included in a CD package. Last weekend, I bought two CDs from Ron Hawkins of Lowest of the Low after their live show in Whitby. I really liked that the money that I handed over to him went to him.

July 15, 2012 @ 11:20 AM

Cheryl

I no longer buy CDs. What's the use. I used to not think that way, but downloading from Itunes is cheaper and you get the music right away without having to wait for shipping. I have such a big clutter of CDs and it kept getting bigger when I was buying them.

July 15, 2012 @ 4:02 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Last cd I bought was Slash's first album 2 years ago. I wanted the dvd that came with it, and it's an awesome album, and my favorite album of 2010. But before that, last cd I had picked up was Pantera's greatest hits compilation, and I think that was in 04. I download all my music.

July 16, 2012 @ 5:54 AM

519 Rob

I still buy lots of physical albums. If I had my way, that would be ALL I bought.

July 16, 2012 @ 9:09 AM

Ryan G

Recently I finally started to make a full transition from physical cd's to loading everything onto a hard drive.

For me it's not just for casually listening to music though so it's a bit trickier.

For years i've DJ'd house parties and a few bars here and there, and i've grown tired of managing cases of CD's and the music on them, particularly since (during a gig) you often need to quickly find and cue up music classified by genre, BPM,etc.

But it's not an easy transition, as i need the hard drive to speak to my newest DJ console and a third party software, which means i'll need to integrate a laptop now as well.

Pain in the ass to do but i suppose once it's set up properly i'll forget i even used CD's. Sort of like when i first transitioned from vinyl to CD's...sorta.

July 16, 2012 @ 11:27 AM

@Ryan G

Digitizing my music collection was a big deal to me. I did the bulk of the work in 2003 and used to write about it here: http://www.torontomike.com/my_mp3_collection/index.html?page=7

I don't see CDs any more... everything is digital. Drag and drop to my Android phone, play an album with Audacious while I work, it's so quick, easy and smooth.

No more physical album media.

July 16, 2012 @ 1:39 PM

Jason Patterson

I bought a Joel Plaskett CD this decade.

July 17, 2012 @ 6:50 AM

519 Rob

I get this feeling that I have bounght more albums this year than everyone else here combined.
Plus, I still buy lots of vinyl.

July 17, 2012 @ 12:03 PM

@519 Rob

The record companies need you! You're keeping them afloat...

July 17, 2012 @ 12:05 PM

519 Rob

@Mike
Probably 1/2 of the music I buy is direct from artists (usually from their website) so hopefully that means they are getting a bigger piece of that pie.
The record label still gets the same amount if you buy their album via itunes.

July 18, 2012 @ 4:35 PM