I Don't Hate Fearless Fred

I Don't Hate Fearless FredI don't hate Fearless Fred. Not even a little bit.

Way back in November, Fearless Fred appeared on the Humble and Fred podcast and had a bone to pick with me. Here's an excerpt:

November was a long time ago, but this topic was recently brought up on the podcast (a pirate named Rusty believe it or not) and I'm hearing from a bunch of new listeners who are missing vital context. People are writing me emails telling me to apologize to Fearless Fred, but these people have only heard Fred's rant above.

For those new folks who think I hate on radio personalities and harass their families, here are the facts:

• I wrote about Fearless Fred's move from Edmonton to The Edge 102. As you'll see, I was pretty gentle.
  • Then, he fired the first shot, going off on me in an interview. Of course I wrote about that, posting Fred's quote, but again I was awfully gentle.
  • I've never, ever written a single word about Fearless Fred's wife or family. I never cross that line. I spoke about Fearless Fred as a radio host, a public figure, and merely commented on the situation at Edge 102 and his on-air abilities.

So no, I don't believe I owe Fearless Fred an apology, but he probably owes me one. And no, I don't hate him. Not even a little bit. He seems like a decent guy and I'd love to bury the hatchet.

brad

f.f. overreacted. big time.

May 23, 2012 @ 1:26 PM

Mississauga Phil

I listen to Fred every afternoon as the Edge is on the radio in the office. I neither hate nor love Fred as a DJ..sometimes he's funny, sometimes he's not.

What I can tell you from listening to a lot of his stories is that he was picked on as a kid for being a bigger boy and prefering comic books and cartoons over sports. The result of this is, now that he's "famous and succesful" he wants to show all those people who picked on him how "cool" he is now.

The other result of this is an extremly thin skin and a persecution complex.

Now that he's in the big city working for one of the biggest boys on the block (like it or not the edge/corus is just that) he expects everyone to love him and if you don't it is apparent that he gets very upset.

Mike - you are entitled to your opinion on the man, it looks like you were respectful and professional bout how you did it, so quite frankly, Fred needs to grow up and learn to accept that not all crtitcism is bad, maybe if he listened to some of it, his show would improve.

May 23, 2012 @ 1:39 PM

Declan

Toronto Mike wrote: "I owe Fearless Fred an apology, but he probably owes me one"

That's just it Mike, he owes you an apology. He accused you of doing things you never did, things that lessen you in the minds of all who listened. That's slander.

Clearly some believe him when he says these things about you. If I were you, I'd insist he apologize or I'd be seeking legal counsel.

May 23, 2012 @ 3:09 PM

@Declan

Idea! Fearless Fred is sentenced to become my butler.

May 23, 2012 @ 3:28 PM

Mike's Wife

Get him to start by cleaning the gutters and taking out the garbage!!!

May 23, 2012 @ 3:35 PM

I was thinking of having Fearless Fred retrieve the bigscreen TV at The Drake's house so that it can be donated to charity.

May 23, 2012 @ 3:42 PM

Sammy

People, I'll just say what we're all thinking.

What does Cheryl think of all this?

p.s. Go Habs.

May 23, 2012 @ 3:59 PM

Mississauga Phil

Cheryl thinks the Habs will win the cup next year...

I'm assuming it's because she thinks every other city in the NHL is going to:

a) Slide into the closest ocean
b) Suffer a massive Earthquake if not near a large body of water
c) Change the name of their team to the Habs

May 23, 2012 @ 4:06 PM

Mississauga Phil

Oh...and someone needs to tell the Fearless One that Seth MacFarline has been saying "hey guys remember shows form the 80's" for over a decade now....

He kinda beat Fred to it...

May 23, 2012 @ 4:08 PM

Stephen from Kitchener

You may not hate him, but I do. I really, *really* tried to like him on the Edge, but I just can't stand his voice and personality on the radio. Some of the mindless drivel he talks about is so draining. I dislike that Bookie was bumped to a later spot for him to takeover the afternoon drive. I haven't listened to The Edge much (or radio in general) since 2009 and once every so often I switch over to 102.1 in the afternoon, the song will end and I suddenly hear that voice of his and remember "oh yeah, *he's* still there". And I switch the channel.

Try as I might to escape him, BAM he's on Teletoon At Night. I can't believe he got a gig like this it is so pointless. Teletoon doesn't even need a host for their (compared to the stuff they aired years ago) pathetic "adult" block. I hate to think about what he gets paid for that. To blab way in front of the camera and doing annoying voice overs for ads.

If I shut down the radio and TV, you can still find him plugging his Big Sexy Comics brand at comic-cons/fan expo. I can't escape him.

May 23, 2012 @ 5:52 PM

Cheryl

I don't care about Fearless Fred. I don't listen to the radio. I listen to my big collection of MP3s both from CDs and Itunes. Don't talk about the game last night it sucked. I hope my Habs will win the cup,. Hey, they can't get any worse. Now it's just boring baseball.

May 23, 2012 @ 7:27 PM

Blind Dave

Oh, Cheryl...

If one is referring to the Leafs or Habs, it can easily get much, much worse.

Regardless of the rivalry or who you support or hate, they are two storied franchises that have become two storied laughing stocks.

And I have no comment on Fearless Fred, because if I didn't read this blog, I'd have no idea who he is.

May 23, 2012 @ 9:35 PM

Becca

Mike...Fred...what's in the past, is in the past. Can't we all just get along?

Just a thought. No pressure.

May 23, 2012 @ 11:33 PM

Rob

"How many final nails in the coffin does one station get?"

You did insult him. Obviously nothing about his life but you implied his addition to the station was a negative.

May 24, 2012 @ 6:19 AM

Cambo

@Rob

Criticism of the station's choices is not the same as personally insulting the man.

May 24, 2012 @ 7:48 AM

Rob

@Cambo.

Mike is entitled to his opinion and I agree Fearless Fred response was misinformed and overboard.

The fact remains reading the article implies that Mike felt the hiring of Fearless Fred was a negative to 102.1.

If this was because he thought of Fred or the realignment of Bookie I can't say. That being said, given he compared Fred to Blundell I would imagine that one line was a combination of the both reasons mentioned above.
I can understand why Fred would be upset with someone writing his hiring being a negative. I don't fault Fred for defending himself.

May 24, 2012 @ 9:29 AM

@Rob

My opinion that the hiring of Fearless Fred was yet another sign we'd lost the station we knew and loved is fair game. Every actor, DJ, model or singer has received a negative review. It's part of the business.

If I think Bookie is superior, that's my opinion and I'm entitled to express it. It doesn't cross any lines or invade Fearless Fred's privacy in any way.

He's clearly upset at things far beyond that.... things I never did on this site or anywhere else.

May 24, 2012 @ 9:33 AM

Mississauga Phil

@ Rob
I hate everything twilight with a passion...I can't stand it, it has ruined the vampire genre for me and spawned two absolutely horrid shows....

...does this mean I'm personally attacking the writer of twilight...or the actors involved in the piece of shit movies....or the people who brought us Vampire Diaries and True Blood..no it just means that, in my opinion, Twilight has ruined the vampire genre for adult males.

Please explain the difference between my comments and Mikes. I never once read a personal attack on Fred, just a critique of his work. If you don't want people to be critical of the job you do, don't have a job in public bradcasting...

May 24, 2012 @ 11:34 AM

@Becca

I'd be more than happy to kiss and make up with him, even though it's total misdirected anger on his part.

He seems less willing to make amends.

May 24, 2012 @ 11:38 AM

Rob

@Phill.

For starters, I am not saying Mike said anything wrong and I did express Fred's response was misguided.

What you said Phill is personal to the actors and creators of Twilight.
Commenting on someone's art/work and referring to it in a negative light is personal if you meant as such or not. You saying something they dedicated apart of their life to is negative in some capacity.

I can understand when someone says "Hey Fred your addition to 102.1 is another sign of the station going in the gutter" as polite way of stating his work isn't good or not good enough.

As bad as Twilight may be, people have poured their heart into that work. When people give it a negative review it is insulting something that is personal to them.

That is not to say we shouldn't speak negative about anything. People that put their "art/work" in public eye should expect people to express their opinions bad or good. Fred should expect that not everyone is going to like him. That being said, all I am saying is "I understand why Fred is angry and he has a right to defend himself". Because when people put themselves in the public eye they're sharing apart of themselves, it hurts when people dislike what they have to offer.

May 24, 2012 @ 12:18 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Rob...fair enough. I still don't think it's a personal attack persay, but I understand where you are comming from.

May 24, 2012 @ 1:02 PM

Dave Williams

@Phil, I have to concur with Rob. You were personal to the to the people that worked hard to produce the Twilight series. Not all of us enjoy the series, but the work placed into it is second to none. I would hope in the future, you try to look at situations in a broader, more mature light, but at least you did not resort to profanity this time. You are slowly evolving.

May 24, 2012 @ 1:06 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Dave Williams - Dude I'm pretty sure if I said the sky was blue you'd disagree with me.

At least this time you didn't make a stoner comment...I guess you're evolving too.

May 24, 2012 @ 1:49 PM

Dave Williams

@Phil, I do not want to pick apart your personal views on drug usage, you have children and I am sure you would not want them using even though you do. However, there are several points that I agree on that you make, I maybe just am not vocal on all. I will endeavor to support the postives in the future.

May 24, 2012 @ 1:56 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Dave - of course I don't want my son using drugs, nor do I use them myself. You and I just differ as to whether or not pot is a drug.

The word drug in this context is a laymens term for a pharmaceutical, which pot is most definatly not. It requires no manufactur nor any processing, you pick it, you dry it, you intake it (smoke, consume, etc.)

Would I approve of my son using it as a child, or teenager, of course not, no more than I would approve of a minor using alcohol. That being said, I do look forward to the day that my son is an adult and he and I can share a beer and a joint over a campfire.

However, saying that I need a more mature outlook, or that I've evolved is very condescending. I neither need, nor want your approval. You are entitled to your opinion, even though it differs from mine. The only time I used profanity in your direction is when you started questioning my commitment to my family, and how i raise my son (who incedently, has be identified as gifted by his school, he's in JK and reads at a grade 2 level). Go read the old posts, you will see this is true.

Oh, and I still agree with Mike, Fearless has really overeacted to this.

May 24, 2012 @ 2:10 PM

Dave Williams

@Phil, the comment "I do look forward to the day that my son is an adult and he and I can share a beer and a joint over a campfire." , is about the stupidest thing you have said to date. Every parent regardless of age of the child would never in their right mind condone the use of drugs period. I did not want to debate the use of drugs, but I would like to get the blogs concensus on a parent lighting one up with their child.

May 24, 2012 @ 2:49 PM

Mississauga Phil

Trust me, I've said much stupider things in my life.

I used to think CCR was singing "there's a bathroom on the right"

May 24, 2012 @ 2:53 PM

Mississauga Phil

Oh and I noticed you skipped right over the part where I expressed my opinion that pot is not a drug...no chemicals, no modifications..Gods little gift to us...

May 24, 2012 @ 2:55 PM

Annette

Gods little gift to us...you sir are a complete moron.

May 24, 2012 @ 4:06 PM

519 Rob

Nice.
Yet again another comment thread turned into a drug debate.
Sheesh...........

May 24, 2012 @ 4:43 PM

Cheryl

Thhis is it. If I didn't read this blog I would have no idea who Fearless Fred is or Dean Blundell for that matter. Now I don't even want to hear those people. I'm not missing much.

May 24, 2012 @ 5:41 PM

MikeM

There is just nobody at the Edge that I care about anymore. Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, even Alan Cross is gone. My apoloigies to fans of The Wire. :)

May 25, 2012 @ 9:12 AM

Corey

At the risk of continuing the hijacking of this post, I'm going to comment on Phil's comment about sharing a beer and a joint with his son one day.
Sharing a beer or two with your son is sort of a rite of passage I suppose. But a beer or two doesn't get you hammered. Sharing a joint is going to get you high, and getting high with one's parent seems weird and creepy. I wouldn't want to sit around with my Dad and get shitfaced drinking beer, and I wouldn't want to sit around with him and get stoned either. Some things shouldn't be shared between parent and child.

May 25, 2012 @ 9:24 AM

Boomer

Mike, maybe you can setup a "celebrity" charity boxing match between yourself and Fred.

Hey, I'd love to see Dave & Phil on the undercard!

May 25, 2012 @ 9:44 AM

Dave Williams

@Boomer; Phil would fail the random drug test.

May 25, 2012 @ 3:20 PM

Jason Patterson

Who cares!!!!

May 26, 2012 @ 8:37 AM

Anonymous

Fearless Fred is an oaf . He is an awful on air personality,& I wonder whose dick he has sucked to land that job. There are kids who I listen to on college radio that have twice the personality . The boys in the AM are funny, Josie is a vapid bimbo & Fred -sucks. When 10 hits, I'm listening to my iPod

October 3, 2012 @ 9:50 PM