Fearless Fred Really, Really Hates Me

radioI just listened to today's episode of Humble and Fred Radio. At about the 30 minute mark, between some typically hilarious banter and a great performance by 54-40, guest Fearless Fred from Edge 102 goes off on me. You have to hear this 5:27 of audio to believe it.

Listen to Fearless Fred Go Off On Toronto Mike

Download MP3

As I was listening to Fearless Fred, I really felt for him. He's clearly emotional and carrying a great deal of hate for this site and me. Of course, as with any interview, a great deal of context is missing. Before you decide to join Fearless Fred in hating me, please hear me out...

In May of 2009, Edge 102 fired a couple of very popular deejays. Of course I wrote about it, Martin Streek was fired after working at CFNY forever. I don't have to tell you what happened a couple of months later. Martin Streek hanged himself.

That was tragic, and in no way did I ever suggest Fearless Fred had anything to do with Martin Streek's suicide, but he was hired when Streek and Barry Taylor were fired, so I wrote about it.

I just re-read that entry, unedited since I first published it on August 8, 2009. I didn't write anything negative about him at all. I just broke the news he was coming from Edmonton and speculated as to where he'd be dropped in the lineup. That's it until I read something he wrote about me on a comedy blog. He went off on this blog because of some negative comments posted by readers. Fearless Fred, it seems, attributes the opinions expressed in the comments to me.

I only wrote about Fearless Fred one other time. I admitted I don't know shit about radio, because I didn't dig Fred's schtick and thought Barry Taylor had the same schtick, only funnier. I expressed my opinion, something I'm apt to do on this site. There were no personal attacks, and no lines crossed.

And that's my final point to Fearless Fred. I've never, ever written a single word about your wife or family. I never cross that line. I spoke about you as a radio host, a public figure, and merely commented on the situation at your radio station and your abilities as an on-air talent.

Fearless Fred really, really hates me, and that's a shame. I think Humble's right... I think we'd hit it off and like each other. It's just too bad Fred can't decipher between my words and actions and the opinions and actions of my readers.

Rob

Like most followers of this site, I read and re-read a lot of the CFNY / Edge posts. Mostly with sadness as I see what has happened to a once great station.
Is the downfall of the Edge Fearless Freds fault?
Nope, it was going downhill before him.
Has he made it any better?
Nope, he just isn't that funny.

If readers of this, or any other blog have ever contacted Freds wife directly, shame on them.
If any one on here has ever wrote, 'Fred is not funny', then fine.

I enjoy watching teletoon, especially their late night 'toons, where Fred is the host. I flip, EVERY time he is on. When he reads their 'disclaimer' and he (I assume) improvises a joke, I cringe.

Fred, if you are reading this, I am sorry that anyone has ever offended your wife or your family. But dude, toughen up a little. You are on a flagship radio station in one of the biggest markets in North America. An opportunity I (and I am sure many others) would have loved 10 years ago.

Perhaps it is time to absorb some of this CREATIVE CRITICISM and do something to improve your show. Or, stay the way you are going, and accept that people do not find you appealing.

November 8, 2011 @ 2:52 PM

elvis

It's pretty clear Fred does care when people talk about him. Fred - if you're reading this - "WAAAAHHHHHHHHH!" You douche bag. Time to grow a thicker skin - you're in Toronto now big boy!

November 8, 2011 @ 3:24 PM

Former Edge Listener

Freddie just put the O in Overreaction.

Hate the game, not the player!

And although I don't agree with Elvis's 'douchebag' comment, it might be time to thicken that skin. Not everybody will love you Fearless Fred.

November 8, 2011 @ 3:32 PM

elvis

I know he's a douche bag because I'm one as well. Just to set the record straight.

November 8, 2011 @ 3:35 PM

Declan

Maybe Fearless Fred is a SNAG?

Sensitive New Age Guy

November 8, 2011 @ 3:39 PM

Steve

Fred may be the world's nicest man in regular life, but the personality he puts out on the air and in this clip makes me want to hurt things. I hope nobody from here or anywhere else attacked his family, but for reasons I can't put my finger on, listening to him say that exact thing makes it hard to have much sympathy. He just irritates me beyond reason.

November 8, 2011 @ 3:44 PM

Rachel

He's the reason why I stopped listening to The Edge.

Listening to him on the radio makes me want to rage.

November 8, 2011 @ 4:24 PM

Sammi

He basically whines for 5 minutes and tries to gain sympathy from anyone.

Ironic that he calls himself...'Fearless'

November 8, 2011 @ 4:28 PM

Alanis

Isn't it ironic, dontcha think?

Fearless Fred fears criticism. Fearless Fred chose the wrong profession.

November 8, 2011 @ 4:49 PM

CQ

At the last sentence I think Mike is ascribing his wanted response against Fearless here instead of the actual. Fearless sounded reasonable on this audio extract. He clearly made reference to unfavourable and/or unkind comments being left by others and not Mike himself .
And I didn't like his regular on-air performance either (when I listened in, once or twice).
Bonus listening: On my active playlist the next shuffled 'song' was Metric's Combat Baby.

November 8, 2011 @ 6:08 PM

Cheryl

I went and listened to that thing. It's plain old boring just like baseball. Yes, toughen up a little bit, Fred. Go Habs.

November 8, 2011 @ 7:06 PM

J9

I don't mind Fearless Fred....especially all of his nerdy SF and comic references.

November 8, 2011 @ 7:21 PM

Ray

Mike,
You said nothing wrong about Fred and crossed no lines. It sounds like his problem might be with comments left, or he is just being a baby. He shouldn't be holding anything against you. In fact, after hearing him on the podcast, I think he owes you an apology, especially for even implying that you had anything to do with his wife being harassed.

November 8, 2011 @ 9:23 PM

EhJustinK

Yesterday it was Andy Frost hates Humble and Fred. Today it's Fearless Fred hates Toronto Mike. Who will hate who on the podcast tomorrow?

But in all seriousness, Fred was way off on this. He took your comments way out of proportion, and hopefully this blog entry makes him realize that.

November 8, 2011 @ 9:34 PM

Jen

I agree with Ray!

Fearless Fred should apologize to you for implying you had something to do with his wife being harrassed.

For shame Fearless Fred!

November 8, 2011 @ 9:51 PM

Camper Van

Dean Blundell seems to have no problem promoting this kind of behaviour every day.

But is the only point of this podcast to audition for Canadian radio program directors?

November 8, 2011 @ 9:56 PM

Wobbly

As stated earlier, Fred "clearly made reference to unfavourable and/or unkind comments being left by others and not Mike himself."

This site was used as a vehicle of harassment toward Fred and his wife. Mike should accept responsibility for his part.

November 8, 2011 @ 10:26 PM

Ray

@Wobbly

If bloggers were expected to be 'responsible' for posters on their sites there would be no blogs and no comments sections on any site. If you read some of the ugly and hateful things written on CNN for example, CNN would be sued daily if they were to be responsible for their comments.

You obviously have no idea of how the internet works.

November 8, 2011 @ 10:44 PM

@Wobbly

I agree that we're responsible for comments on our site, in that I'm responsible for removing comments that cross the line. For example, if someone had posted a comment on my site with Fearless Fred's address or a personal attack on his wife, I'd have removed it.

I just read every comment on the Fred entry and there isn't a single mention of his wife except for this comment by Danielle: "Oh come on, don't be so skeptical. Fearless Fred is awesome, hilarious, and he has a smokin' hot wife! Hi Jess :)"

My site wasn't used as a vehicle of harassment toward Fred and his wife, it was used as a vehicle of criticism against Fred and his on-air persona.

November 8, 2011 @ 11:08 PM

Rick

@Fearless Fred - admit you made a boo-boo, and move on, otherwise Toronto won't forgive!

November 9, 2011 @ 7:32 AM

Johnny5

Agree with most posters, Fearless needs to grow a set. But Mike I do think you were offside - you do have a following, people read your blog, they're passionate about this stuff and they sometimes act irrationally. Not you fault - you just pointed them in Fred's direction.

November 9, 2011 @ 8:41 AM

Mississauga Phil

At about 7:15 this morning Dean Blundel referd to Humble & Fred (though no names were used) and "Disnosaurs who couldn't find work so they went to the internet).

He was bashing some guys from the states who had an internet show and then made mention of two fossils in Toronto who are doing the same thing...

Edge is definatly going downhill.

November 9, 2011 @ 10:25 AM

Irvine

Sure Boon.

Here's what really happened dude, just to refresh your memory.

You and your little circle jerk of friends on this blog was upset at the changes being made at 102.1 The Edge. Those changes resulted in Fearless Fred replacing "Bookie" in PM drive.

Immediately the knives came out against Fred. Of course NO one on this blog had actually ever listened to Fearless Fred prior to this. Not when he worked in Winnipeg. Nor when he was in Lloyd. Nor when he was in Edmonton at The Bear.

But assumptions were immediately made. First of all he was from Edmonton. Strike 1 in the eyes of a pretentious asshole from Toronto. What happened next? Everyone Googled Fearless Fred & pointed out stuff like "Fearless Fred University" and his "bevy of babes" or whatever. He was immediately shot down as some stupid, uneducated hick from Edmonton.

Of course not a SINGLE person on this blog ever once considered that "Fearless Fred" is a radio persona. And that persona was employed by an ass kicking, male dominated hard rock station in a blue collar city. Fred was doing his job. JUST like Jason Barr does his job working at a station much like The Bear (97,7 HTZ FM). Fred knows & understands his audience.

But u simply aren't smart enough to grasp that fact. You hadn't even heard the dude OR given him a chance and you slagged him. And now he's a goof for being pissed off? Whatever.

@Elvis. He's in Toronto the "big city" now? LOL, is that meant as some macho posturing. I've lived in both cities and E-Town is as hard core as they come. Your pansy little ass wouldn't last 2 weeks in Edmonton.

PS. So Mike, what happened to your usual cooing about all your freebies? Something change in your life?

November 9, 2011 @ 10:30 AM

Stephen from Kitchener

As a radio DJ I find it funny that he can't speak on the phone for five minutes without tripping over his words. I don’t care about his personal life or wife, it’s just the personality he puts out there when on air.

He isn't good as a radio personality. His voice, his jokes; they are annoying and he hasn’t improved (however I hardly ever listen to CFNY or radio in general anymore). I ignore it only to have him invade my other great love besides music, animation, on Teletoon. Why did they hire him? They don't need a terrible VJ on their already bland block of "adult" cartoons (compared to what Teletoon aired years ago).

When I went to Fan Expo earlier this year in Toronto he was there with his Big Sexy Comics group. Again, as if I can’t escape him on radio or TV, he’s into comics and going to cons as well. His venture into comics just seems to reek of desperation to me.

November 9, 2011 @ 10:56 AM

Irvine

So stephen your a radio DJ but you "dont listen to Edge or RADIO in general anymore"

You'll be a fork lift driver soon with that mentality.

November 9, 2011 @ 11:04 AM

Ray

@Irvine

* you're
* ?

November 9, 2011 @ 11:18 AM

Mississauga Phil

@ Irvine - I'll put a group of Toronto boys up against anyone from Edmonton.

Typical praire attitude..you guys hate on T.O. when, in reality, Edmonton wishises it was Toronto so bad they can taste it..

Oh. btw, this slagging Mike for getting free stuff is getting really old. If any of you had the time and intelligence to run a site like this, you'd take everything that was offered to you...anyone would.

November 9, 2011 @ 11:19 AM

Stephen from Kitchener

What you wrote made no sense. No, I am not a DJ. But I listened to mainstream terrestrial radio for years and years, and got sick of shrinking, repetitive playlists, radio edits, and annoying DJ's who talk over half the song with inane banter. I, and others, don't need radio like that anymore with the Internet. Find a decent station that streams and discover music you’d never hear otherwise (from another part of Canada, or the US, UK/Europe), or dish out money for satellite, or tune the world out completely with an ipod/mp3 player.

I started listening to The Edge in 2003 and while there are many before me (that are older) that have other significant points pertaining to when the station ‘went to hell’, for me it was when Alan Cross left and Ross Winters came in. The changes were pretty swift a la “Top 40 w/ grunge” and it sucks I caught the very end of an era in terms of Streek’s death and what music they used to play. Now with their new headquarters, different DJs, Loveline (is that still on?) and canceling other great and important segments, and canning all the live-to-airs (I don’t recall them happening anymore), and a bland as ever playlist, it doesn’t even feel like the same station it was five, six, seven years ago. So eff em, and many other stations that serve crap to the masses. We don’t have to like it, and we certainly don’t have to listen.

November 9, 2011 @ 11:28 AM

Irvine

Hey Phil

This site didnt get Mike freebies. His job did. He just tried to play it out like TM got him swag.

Go back to Mississauga loser and try not to get lost in your downtown errrr shopping mall.

November 9, 2011 @ 11:35 AM

Trish

The worst you can say about Fearless Fred is that he's a wuss! I think Humble and Fred were a bit embarrassed by his claims. I'm very sorry he trashed you, but this man-child made for great radio, don't you think? How self-indulgent does one have to be to whine the way he did and not listen to the little voice inside telling him to man-up..?

November 9, 2011 @ 12:34 PM

@Irvine

My job got me zero freebies. Not one.

Every freebie I wrote about came to Toronto Mike.

Ford, Canadian Tire, Gatorade... they all contacted Toronto Mike. It had absolutely nothing to do with my full-time job.

November 9, 2011 @ 12:59 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Idiot...er Irvine

You really are a dumbass arent you?? You talk about things of which you know nothing. Check your facts before you open your mouth.

You're comming into a battle of whits completly unarmed...probably a result of inbreeding i'd assume. Did your folks have the same last name before they got married?? Is that why you are so angry and bitter?

November 9, 2011 @ 1:06 PM

Dan

@Irvine - I'm a fork lift driver for Township, and pull six figures, all benefits, early retirement, and your point would be?

November 9, 2011 @ 1:16 PM

Irvine

Mike. Sure man. Had nothing to do with full time gig. The freebies just stopped when you got fired. Coincidence right

Phil. That is wits. Not whits. At least learn to spell man. Calling me idiot isnt really going to upset me FYI.

@Dan. Better be careful or Argie is gonna get involved when he hears that dude. And he's mean

BTW. fred and 102.1 seem to be doin well in the ratings. Guess who is winning.

November 9, 2011 @ 1:28 PM

Mississauga Phil

Hey Irvine - I clearly don't know Mike the way you do...but posting his personal info like employment status here is low...

November 9, 2011 @ 1:49 PM

Wayner

At the time a lot of anger was directed towards Fearless before he had taken the airwaves at the Edge (and from the comments above it is obvious that the anger has not dissipated). Fearless Fred became the "whipping boy" for all those angry at the new direction the Edge was taking was taking, the firing of Barry Taylor and Martin's Streak's suicide. Mike, while you did not make any negative comments against Fred your readers did and that's were the anger stems from. Your blog was rallying point for all those angry at the Edge and often the comments were sharp and personal (anonymity has its rewards). If I was Fred reading this blog for the first I would view it as hostile to me and my family. I can I see why he would not be your biggest fan. It is easy to say that radio personalities need to have thick skins. However, at the end of the day they are still human and constant negativity will hurt.

As a big nerd myself I enjoy listening to Fearless Fred on the radio, watching him on TV and reading his blog. My kids who are entering their teens enjoy Fearless as well as The Blundell show. Basically they are fans of the Edge as are their friends...maybe thats the point.

November 9, 2011 @ 1:54 PM

@Irvine

You don't know what you're talking about, and as usual, you're way off base.

And for everybody else, I don't know Irvine and he doesn't know me.

November 9, 2011 @ 2:45 PM

Ray

Irvine is commenting on spelling?

I think we all need to stop feeding this dim witted troll.

He didn't get the point of Mike's original post. He apparently can not read well enough to understand Stephen's comment. And, he is making assumptions and accusations from way out in left field that are being formed in his illogical and apparently simple mind. I'm sure that any Edmontonian would not appreciate him representing them.

November 9, 2011 @ 3:13 PM

Anonymous

Wow- an INTERNET radio feud!

On a blog no less!

As usual ends up beating the the same dead horse- that CFNY sucks

November 9, 2011 @ 3:19 PM

We spoke about this on today's podcast.

Click over to hear more...

November 9, 2011 @ 4:10 PM

John Cassidy

Toronto Mike wins because he's the only person on the podcast who doesn't sound like he'd rather be working at Corus.

November 9, 2011 @ 4:29 PM

Pam

I don't know where Irvine learned to spell, but "whit" is indeed a word and Phil's use of the word worked in the sentence context.

Dan - yikes, don't get Irvine started or you'll never hear the end of this braggart's imaginary life of big-ass bonuses, vice-presidencies, luxury cars and various other fantasies...

November 9, 2011 @ 4:38 PM

Irvine

@Mike: Are you referring to your freebies or your job status Mike?

@Anonymous: CFNY started sucking in 1988. Radio is what it is in 2011. Who cares. What's most perplexing is the legion of people that can't seem to get over CFNY. What's even more perplexing is that they can't seem to find a replacement in what is "the golden age of radio". Are you still using Mac OS 7.6 too?

But what we're really talking about is comments made by Fearless Fred. And as I already said (and then Wayner reiterated)..THIS blog turned it's guns on Fearless Fred BEFORE he was even working at Edge. AND before any of you ever heard the guy on the radio. I'm VERY sure none of the circle jerk TM crowd was listening to the PM drive on 100.3 The Bear.

You see, what's most pathetic is that you're own hatred of Edge's direction made you turn on Fearless Fred who had NOTHING to do with the direction of Edge. What's even more lame is that you would get that angry over the direction of some lame ass cookie cutter Alt Rock Top 40 station. It's a lot like going to protest outside McDonalds because you don't like changes to the menu. That's how lame you are.

@Ray: I represent Edmonton? Huh? I don't live in Edmonton idiot.

But anyways, let's review this. Here's what we have

1. Incestuous circle jerk of angry CFNY refugee's that live 15 years in the past. These refugees have the innate ability to know what a radio announcer sounds like BEFORE THEY'VE even heard the guy. The ring leader (Toronto Mike) claims that "I never said bad stuff". And I counter "Well the record shows you never actually defended the guy either.

2. Fearless Fred. PM drive guy on one of the highest rated FM station (younger demo) in Toronto. Also dabbles in cartoons & comics. Clearly a young guy who is driven and successful.

Now, put the correct number of each post beside the word below

Losers ___
Winner ___

November 9, 2011 @ 4:42 PM

brad

been reading this blog for at least 7 years - read every entry and most comments

irvine's comments today are far and away the lowest, saddest and most embarrassing.

i wish mike would delete him

November 9, 2011 @ 4:52 PM

Jenny

Toronto Mike, you should thank Fred since it is the only way your website gets any hits. 43 comments on this post in comparison to just over 10 on the others.

November 9, 2011 @ 4:56 PM

J.C.

Thinking the number of comments equals the number of hits is like calling a passing reference to a DJ's wife "harassment."

November 9, 2011 @ 5:14 PM

Irvine

Well day pass is over. Back to prison. *sigh*. Only 15 more years till parole

November 9, 2011 @ 5:37 PM

Mike from Lowville

"Well day pass is over. Back to prison. *sigh*. Only 15 more years till parole"

Now THAT I would not doubt!

November 9, 2011 @ 6:06 PM

Ray

@Irvine

Who's the idiot?

"I've lived in both cities and E-Town is as hard core as they come. Your pansy little ass wouldn't last 2 weeks in Edmonton."

Dumb ass can't even read his OWN comments. If that is not trying to represent, then I don't know what is. 'My city can beat up your city.' Very intelligent argument.

November 9, 2011 @ 7:48 PM

Pam

I don't know why such an allegedly busy, important and successful individual like Irvine bothers himself with the CFNY "circle jerks" . Irvine, you have an obsessive need to feel superior and so, like a bully, you lash out - nasty and abusive. That's not healthy - get some help.

November 9, 2011 @ 8:04 PM

Trish

There is only one loser here. That's the one who keeps the washrooms clean at McDonalds -- IRVINE.

November 9, 2011 @ 8:11 PM

Derek

Poor Fearless Fred, I think his rant even caught Humble and uncle Freddy off guard.
Keep in mind that back in Edmonton Fearless was riding the kahuna wave of popularity, too bad it didn't carry him into Toronto.
As for blundell, whats he going to do when corr-ass gives him the golden hand shake?
Can you imagine the cutting edge podcast he could set up??

November 9, 2011 @ 9:03 PM

Steve

@ Irvine: I've seen your infest pollute various boards for a few years now, but never risen to the bait. I'll make an exception just this once:

I've lived in both provinces and your 780/403 vs 416, etc. was boring 5 minutes after you started it. Baskin Robbins have 31 flavours for a reason. Live where you want, but shut up about it already.

As you've decided to attack others' ability with the language, allow me to provide a few pointers, based on 1 (literally) miserable post of yours:

it's - a contraction to replace 'it was' or 'it is'. as in your typical Edmontonian saying "Ya, but it's a dry cold on a -35 day"

its' - used to show possession. as in "the city of Edmonton used to think the success of its' hockey team meant the rest of the world knew - or cared - it existed"

you're - a contraction to replace 'you are', not to show possession. as in "you're an ideal candidate for the next major of Vegreville, Mark"

refugee's - this is not the proper way to indicate more than 1 person who has sought a better existence in a new place. again, this should be used to replace 'refugee is'. as in "that Somalian refugee's going to regret moving to Red Deer before the middle of December"

Now please, if Ontario is such a miserable place and Alberta is heaven on earth, go outside and enjoy it and stop polluting southern Ontario based message boards.

November 9, 2011 @ 9:13 PM

Truth Teller

Here's the real scoop on Fearless Fred and why he's so sensitive to negativity on sites like Toronto Mike.

If you read Radio Star ‘Fearless Fred’: Not Always Fearless at http://kiwicommons.com/index.php?p=8320&tag=radio-star-%E2%80%98fearless-fred%E2%80%99-not-always-fearless you will learn something about Fearless Fred: He was bullied as a kid and it still affects him!

"The usually passionate DJ was candid with Amy, his humor touching on the real pain he himself experienced as a bullied teen. Fred admitted that he hasn’t always been as fearless as he is now. “You just need to learn to distance yourself,” he said. “Unfortunately, high school and junior high kids were merciless to me, but it did help me grow a thicker skin, and I can handle it now. I remember my mom going in to talk to the school and it made it SO MUCH WORSE!”

Fred admits that being bullied did teach him a lesson or two and that it did help him to grow on some level. “It was one of the best things to ever go through–the amount of abuse, dealing with it, gave me a distinct sense of motivation. If someone picks on me, it makes me think, no: I’m better, I win, I am the winner. There’s a definite silver lining, it may just take a long time to see it.”

Fred even applies the hard lessons he learned as a victim of bullying to his life today. He says that even though he receives a lot of hate mail online, he knows how to deal with it because of what he experienced growing up. “It’s just one person’s opinion and for every person who sends you hate mail, there’s someone that just loves you. Keeps me humble, for all the love you get, you know there is the hate too.”

So how do we make cyberbullying stop? Fearless Fred doesn’t have the answer, only the understanding that it is, indeed, a serious problem for today’s children and their parents. “There is no real answer to how to make it stop. I guess, don’t go on Facebook and Twitter if that’s on there, but children need to be educated by the parents. Empathy is important.”"

See that? Fred was bullied, receives lots of hate mail today and considers it cyberbullying. In Fred's mind, Toronto Mike was cyberbullying him just like the kids bullied him in school. He grew thicker skin, but not think enough.

And just like his mom going into school made it worse, his rant on Humble and Fred made it worse.

This is the truth about Fearless Fred. He's sensitive to bullying.

November 9, 2011 @ 9:58 PM

El Torpedo

Irvine, whatever you think you know about Toronto Mike is irrelevant. You could say whatever you want, but no one is listening. It works like this: if someone comes off as thoughtful and genuine, people tend to trust them and will take that persons word at face value. If you come off as an insecure douchebag, people think you're a desperate liar with a small dick. Now guess which category Mike belongs to and which one you do.

November 9, 2011 @ 10:24 PM

Irvine

Dear Fearless Fred:

I have successfully (and singlehandedly) hijacked this thread. One single cyber poster against TM and all attention is directed at me. The same folks that decry what a waste of time I am spend their time lobbing hollow and ineffective shots at me. Once again I have proven I am close to God and the entire room pays attention when I walk in.

FF, don't be dismayed by these chumps. Most are cast off radio fan bois hung up on a long dead incarnation of Edge 102.1. They can't let go. The owner of this site is a lap dog to 102.1. He writes how he hates the station but still listens. He will always listen.

Congrats Fearless. For u are not these ppl. You are successful and this is what pisses them off the most. Continue being successful and they will continue being jealous and bitter.

And maybe play Beck - Loser for everyone here.

Regards,

Irvine
King of Assholes

November 9, 2011 @ 10:44 PM

Pam

Ivine: Close to God? You've really gone off the deep end this time. Steve really flummoxed you, didn't he?

November 9, 2011 @ 10:53 PM

Trish

A hijacking??? What nonsense! With all due respect to Toronto Mike, his blog isn't The New York Times or The Huffington Post.

Irvine, don't forget to fill the paper towel dispenser...

November 9, 2011 @ 11:15 PM

Mississauga Phil

Okay Guys/Girls,

I'm as guilty as everyone else, but I suggest we ignore Irvine and maybe he'll go away...

November 10, 2011 @ 10:43 AM

Diefenbunker Tour Guide

Hello Folks
Now tell me what is the only food that bacteria can not grow in. That's right-- honey.So lets stop spewing bacteria and start spreading the honey.

November 10, 2011 @ 11:48 AM

Mississauga Phil

Amen to that...

November 10, 2011 @ 12:38 PM

Bill

Oh the drama. Glad I stopped listening to Toronto radio for the most part, and the Edge in particular. I finally accepted that it will never be what it once was, but it's sad to see what it has become.

November 22, 2011 @ 12:18 PM

Terry

Toronto Mike, is such a baby! He cries all the time when one attacks his site. Grow up.

February 13, 2012 @ 2:53 AM

Jimmy R

Who cares, Fearless Fred is a douchebag.

October 14, 2012 @ 6:44 PM

Jay

I thoroughly enjoy listening to Fearless Fred and to be honest he is the only reason I flip on the Edge these days. After Todd left the DBS I all but removed it from my presets. Fred on the other hand shares many of the same interests that I do and frequently discusses them. Keep up the good work Fred.

December 6, 2013 @ 2:14 PM

@Jay

But Fearless Fred hates me!

December 6, 2013 @ 2:22 PM

Brian

C'mon Mike, when you end your initial post about Fred coming to The Edge with the line "How many final nails in the coffin does one station get?" you can't be surprised when Fred feels like you don't like him.

January 9, 2014 @ 9:38 AM

@Brian

But if you listen to the YouTube clip above, you'll hear that's not the reason he doesn't like me.

He attributes to me things written by commenters. He's blaming me for shit you guys write.

January 9, 2014 @ 9:50 AM

Brian

I understand where you're coming from Mike. I think the problem is that Fred overestimates the influence you have over your readers and you underestimate that same influence.

Whether you've intended to or not, you've cultivated a readership that by and large hates what CFNY turned into. Hell, I'm one of them. You have influence among these people. This is why you are given some of the opportunities you've enjoyed recently, like car leases, because brands are counting on the idea that your positive experiences with their brands will influence your readership into giving them a chance. That said, your negative experiences have the same influence. So, when you pan a DJ your readers take your opinion into consideration when they make their own evaluation. This is how social media works.

So, while at no point did you personally attack or intentionally provoke anyone into attacking Fred, you likely did create an atmosphere that encouraged it. You panned him before he even had a chance to start and given the mob mentality of the web, people took it to the next level.

Is that your responsibility? Probably not. People are responsible for their own actions. But it should start to give you some idea why Fred resents you and this community.

January 9, 2014 @ 5:22 PM

Jim King

I've never heard his radio show. I know him only from Teletoon. I don't know why anyone would flip away from his 2-second-long disclaimer, that's hardly worth the effort. Habs suck.

February 1, 2014 @ 8:58 PM

TLL

Let's be real. At heart, this has nothing to do with Fred. It's Corus' horrible handling of Streek's firing that caused people to be so riled up; it's not just the corporatization of CFNY.

Had they announced it, given people time to vent, and/or given him a decent send off (one last LTA blowout, for example) the anger would have died off and not been transferred to Fred.

If Streek didn't want to go out that way, fine--but at least acknowledge he's no longer at the station.

The company nixing his presence like Stalin did to Trotsky only made people more upset and more likely to angrily reject the new guy.

I think it's ironic that the people who are calling the old CFNY fans out for not being with the times aren't also calling Fred out for not accepting responsibility for his public profile in the age of social media.

Although I am a big Streek fan and enjoy this blog, I'm also a triple minority online who wouldn't hesitate to call anyone on their BS if they went after someone's wife. I saw *none* of that from Mike, nor any of the comments I read as I followed the situation here.

What anyone posting negatively here might have done on their own initiative that went beyond the line shouldn't mean Mike can't express his opinion.

March 9, 2014 @ 1:58 AM

Anonymous

Who cares, he's a loser who enjoys meeting young chicks through his Radio Status and banging them behind his wife's back. Proven time and time again. Fire him and bring back Dean!

April 22, 2014 @ 3:12 PM

Jim King

Well, that's a little embarrassing. I guess I must have heard of ol' Toronto Mike because I've already commented here. Oh well, must be early onset. Habs suck, btw.

May 18, 2014 @ 6:11 PM