It's All In The Game

the wireIt's been almost two years since I finished my first viewing of The Wire, a.k.a, The Greatest Show On Television, Ever™.

A couple of days later, I was asking where the hell I go from there. Watching The Wire pretty much ruined television for me. Since then, I've found exactly two series that came even close: Mad Men and Breaking Bad. I refer to Breaking Bad as The Greatest Show On Television Next To The Wire™.

Over the Xmas holidays, I dove back into The Wire. I'm almost done season two. It's just as good the second time around, even knowing exactly what's going to happen. It's like going back to life school, as you can easily map the political bullshit oozing from the Baltimore police department and corners to your own cubical jungle. My 2011 was The Wire without the guns and drugs, but you won't read about that in the archives.

Omar, my favourite television character of all-time, said it best. It's all in the game, yo.

After all, a man's gotta have a code.

CQ

I guess you aren't watching Antenna TV's offerings today at channel 2.2
However, you can also surf over the archives at .25

January 2, 2012 @ 6:39 PM

CQ

Just as a follow-up, do you ever watch classic television, Mike? Perhaps The Twilight Zone or All In The Family? Or lesser known samples from a budget DVD set? As a middle aged adult - there are regularly moments of dialogue or camera setting that I get or appreciate better now, which I would not have done so when younger.
Between Buffalo RTV's final month in September, MeTV while it came through in better weather, TCT Family and now Antenna... wow.

January 3, 2012 @ 11:11 PM

Zach

Try Deadwood, it's a classic too.

January 4, 2012 @ 2:49 PM

Mike from Lowville

You might want to try BOSS with Kelsey Grammer. Into the 3rd episode and it's better than I thought it would be. Reminds me of the last season of the wire. A bit of politics, media, sex and drugs but in a different kind of way.

January 4, 2012 @ 9:06 PM

Mike from Lowville

Oh,another good series is "Underbelly" out of the land of Oz. It's 4 action pack seasons(about 12 episodes on average per year) dealing with the Australian underworld throughout this century. Based on true facts. Just finished watching season 4 "Underbelly/Razor" dealing with a 9 year period from the late 20's to the mid 30's. The first season deals with near present and then works it's way backwards in time. In fact I think the season 1 and 2 is still banned in the state of Victoria because of outstanding trails of some involved. Try to get the DVD rip rather than the cable copies.

January 7, 2012 @ 11:37 AM

Mike from Lowville

Sorry, that would be last century...lol. I keep giving my head a shake.....yep, it's 2012. Fells like yesterday it was 1999.

January 7, 2012 @ 11:40 AM