Why This Raptors Fan Was Rooting For the Lockout

nbaNBA players and owners tentatively agreed on a new Collective Bargaining Agreement early this morning and a 66 game season will start on Christmas Day. As a Raptors fan, I was rooting for the lockout.

This is going to be a lost season for Raptor fans. Bryan Colangelo is in the midst of another rebuild, working to have as much as $24 million in salary cap flexibility for the 2012-2013 season. That certainly won't help us during this abbreviated season.

Take a look at our current roster. Sure, we all like how DeMar DeRozan keeps getting better, but what really does Dwane Casey have to work with? What real hope is there that we squeak into the playoffs? Slim to none, and slim just caught a Greyhound to Cleveland.

damon

At least there will be playoffs at the ACC this spring. That's right, I'm calling it. Go Leafs Go!

elvis

Zero comments in almost 12 hours pretty much sums it up.

November 27, 2011 @ 1:21 AM

Sammi

I agree with Elvis....and Mike, did you have to put that last line in there?? You just jinxed the Leafs again!

November 27, 2011 @ 8:11 AM

Steve

We need the season to suck, finish low, receive a high draft pick, and improve the product. That's how it works in the NBA.

November 27, 2011 @ 9:17 AM

Cheryl

I'm not a Raptors fan. My basketball team is the Phoenix Suns. It's good to have some basketball as that's my other favourite sport. Good to have lots of sports before things suck again in the summer when all there is is boring baseball. Go Suns.

November 27, 2011 @ 9:23 AM

elvis

@Steve - I generally agree with you. However, it's not that easy. See: Bargiani.

November 27, 2011 @ 9:41 AM

JP

Lets go 0-66, guys.

Well maybe not that bad, but this is supposed to be a great draft, so lets get a lottery pick. Hopefully that European guy we drafted last year will develop, and maybe next season there will be two new exciting young players going for the team.

November 27, 2011 @ 8:52 PM