Humble and Fred's Perfect Storm - A Radio Revolution?

radioIf you've been here before, you might know I'm personal friends with both Humble Howard and Fred Patterson of the old Humble and Fred radio program. Before I ever met the guys, however, I was a fan of their morning show on CFNY / Edge 102. They made me laugh throughout the 90s. Damn, I miss the 90s...

Let's see... Humble was on Boom doing a morning show with Colleen Rusholme until May when he was fired. Here's a few of his thoughts upon being fired again. He's okay...

Fred was the Program Director for the Corus stations in Peterborough. Then, last month, he was fired. He shared the whole story with me via phone yesterday. He too, will be okay...

That means both Humble and Fred are currently being paid to not work. They're both a little bitter, too... a little pissed off... and they both want to work as Humble and Fred.

perfect-storm

It's a perfect storm of sorts. There is a plan for Humble and Fred, a future for the duo. No, I'm not about to announce they're the new morning show for < insert station here >, but they are on the brink of what I believe is a radio revolution.

Are you ready for Humble and Fred Radio?

Ryan G

yes. yes i am.

if it's their own internet station or whatever, then it only makes sense that if music's in the mix, it's open form and/or the best alternative music of all time (and deeper cuts too)

and, if they'd have me i'd work with them for free in my spare time. i'd love to host a block of time, spinning music, doing some offbeat commentary,etc. i've got some experience in the field, can record at home, and grew up with cfny so pass it along Mr.Mikey.

August 4, 2011 @ 3:48 PM

@Ryan G

Pass it along? You just did...

The boys are reading the comments here. Hi guys!

August 4, 2011 @ 3:52 PM

Brian

There's a reason they keep getting fired...they really aren't that good!

August 4, 2011 @ 4:01 PM

Pete McPhedran

I seem to think that Mr. Alan Cross is also being paid to sit in his back yard. Now, if Dan Duran is available too, wow.

Looking forward to the breaking news Mike, let me know if you need hosting...

--Pete

August 4, 2011 @ 4:08 PM

CQ

Re: Pete (16:08)
That's how to think. Gather up a few established names and start your own, new, station. The Toronto Sun day oners did it; so did Toronto Star writers a century ago.

August 4, 2011 @ 4:19 PM

Boba Spud

Love the guys, but really hope this isn't an internet radio station...not terribly practical, especially in the car... Love to see the guys on satellite radio though

August 4, 2011 @ 4:20 PM

The Consultant

Sure. Bring it on.

But keep the rants about the radio business to the message boards.

And no one listening to a podcast wants to hear that "no one" is listening to a podcast. It's a marathon not a sprint.

August 4, 2011 @ 4:46 PM

Wandering Penguin

I'd listen to them no matter where they end up. Having some free time on my hands, I'd also like to toss my hat into the "intern" ring if I may. ;)

August 4, 2011 @ 4:48 PM

1ManArmy

A pissed off Humble and Fred sounds great. Internet radio will do fine!

August 4, 2011 @ 5:16 PM

Stephanie

I'll love whatever they end up doing.

Loving and missing you two..

August 4, 2011 @ 5:25 PM

Megan

Hell ya!

August 4, 2011 @ 5:39 PM

Derek

How about a daily 1 hour podcast? A lot of American dj's that got fired started a podcast. Check out The Mike Omeara show podcast.
It's about time they gave up on terrestrial radio, crappy and no more cor-ass to deal with.

August 4, 2011 @ 5:49 PM

Buffalo Boy Mike

Sounds good, Humble and Fred with a Classic Alterna/Rock with format, just please please let it be on satelite....something that I can take to my car

August 4, 2011 @ 6:03 PM

Sam from England

I can't wait for this! The whole reason for my reading this blog and following Humble and Fred is my happening across a stream of a Christmas show, not long before they were unfortunately broken up, whenever that was. I was at university and was looking for something a lot more interesting than what was on the BBC at the time. I was gutted to have only discovered them towards the end, and have enjoyed and looked forward to the podcasts ever since, but its not enough! This news therefore has the potential to be bloody brilliant!

August 4, 2011 @ 6:12 PM

HeyNow

Howard 101 needs some talent....

August 4, 2011 @ 6:15 PM

Jacob

There must be some low-budget Toronto radio station a group of people can buy and turn into a GOOD radio station...

August 4, 2011 @ 6:44 PM

dale

ALL radio DJ's are in a situation now on Fm & AM radio.

It's always same old, same old.
Derringer Q107, Humble & Fred - hang it up, you all are going yo DJ Hall of Fame for Toronto.

Times have changed & so have listeners - I know of the other possibilities with satellite radio but too many others are pursuing.

My personal preference - Humble & Fred - replace morning man at Q107. His time is done.

August 4, 2011 @ 7:07 PM

randall

It will work if it's every day, and comes out at the same time every day.

And honest! No radioguy B.S.

August 4, 2011 @ 8:47 PM

Tim

Yes please!!!!

I can also help. Can I fluff your pillow Mister Howard? Is your lemon tea too hot Mister Patterson?

I can not wait to laugh until I cry at morning radio again!!!!

August 4, 2011 @ 9:32 PM

Mike from Lowville

Ready, willing and able to listen on any format.

August 5, 2011 @ 7:10 AM

McNulty

I hope it isn't just a podcast that takes three weeks or more to edit.

Then again, I would rather it be on radio but I have a feeling that isn't happening either.

I'd be happy about if I could get the internet on my car radio. But alas, I cannot and therefore I am ready to be disappointed.

August 5, 2011 @ 7:43 AM

Andrew

Come on guys get with the game. You can listen to anything in your car if you want to. Download to your I-pod in seconds.

August 5, 2011 @ 7:51 AM

MrFascination

Your Glorify The Past While The Future Dries Up

August 5, 2011 @ 12:13 PM

Wayner

Here's hoping it is something new and different (except satellite...cause I'm not paying for radio).

Can do without music if they plan on playing what is currently out there. Would prefer a talk radio kind of format.

August 5, 2011 @ 10:57 PM

GTA Rob

Excited for this. Vinyl would be my guess. They gassed their morning team a few weeks ago now.

August 5, 2011 @ 11:06 PM

Wayner

Sounds like they are embarking on a similar path as Biggs and Barr.

August 5, 2011 @ 11:28 PM

Craig Milton

...how many sleeps!?!?!

August 8, 2011 @ 9:09 AM

jason

lol @ Ryan - you're not inbred enough dude

August 8, 2011 @ 9:16 AM

John

I currently gladly pay $10 for another website that provide online radio shows that are downloadable for ipod use and would gladly pay for H&F (even if Fred has becoeme too much of a tory-sucker for my liking these days - leave the redncking at home, eh Freddie? (^: )

August 8, 2011 @ 9:23 AM

jacksondunlop

Yes, I'd like to hear them back together again. I'd like them to put on some half decent music too. Get going guys!

August 8, 2011 @ 9:25 AM

Nixx

Bring it on!

August 8, 2011 @ 9:31 AM

Barry

I will only listen if they get The Fleshlight as a sponsor. :)

August 8, 2011 @ 9:32 AM

Pam Warren

I miss Humble & Fred... Loved them on the Edge, followed them to the Mix, and then stayed with Howard when he went to Boom. So disappointed that management can't see his appeal. I now live in Boston and I would love to hear an internet show from the guys. I still have yet to find a radio station here that compares to anything I heard in Toronto...

August 8, 2011 @ 10:52 AM

Sean

Yep. The world needs more Humble & Fred. Bring it on!!

August 8, 2011 @ 11:30 AM

avalon1001

Although I suspect otherwise, it would be fantastic if they went over to Vinyl. I quit CFNY, the Mix and Boom when they dumped the guys and now listen to Vinyl, great music. And Dale, hang it up ?? No way, Humble and Fred are complete entertainers, the way DJs should be. Irreverent, cocky, cranky, opinionated and funny. I'm so missing that element in radio right now. Radio, podcast, satellite, anything, just come back guys!

August 8, 2011 @ 12:12 PM

Dusty

I actually liked most of the music Humble and Colleen were playing on Boom, but don't listen any more. I realized it wasn't the music that lured me.

August 8, 2011 @ 3:34 PM

Chris

How about a Humble and Fred morning show on Sirius Iceberg?

August 11, 2011 @ 9:20 AM