Jose Bautista Is Better Than George Bell (There, I Said It)

bluejaysEven before his 3-home run game yesterday, you heard the chatter. Jose Bautista is the best player in baseball today.

Bautista, who led the majors with 54 home runs in 2010, is batting .415 with 13 homers and 21 RBIs his last 19 games. He's actually ahead of last year's pace when he didn't reach 16 homers until May 30.

Jose Bautista and I got off to a rocky start. Last August, I asked him to slow the fuck down. How dare he just show up and suddenly threaten my favourite Blue Jay of all-time's record for homers in a season.

Then, when it became apparent he was going to demolish George Bell's 47 dingers, I accepted reality. By the end of the season, he had 54, and I was proud of all 54 of 'em. His 2010 season was bananas!

And here we are, on May 16, and I'm crazy about the guy. The best player in baseball plays for my team and he's... wait for it... way better than George Bell ever was. There, I said it. Jose Bautista is better than George Bell.

Jose Bautista Toronto Blue Jays v New York BplD_oiPjmxl

Chime in if you agree Jose Bautista is the best player in baseball today.

George

J-Bau can kiss my purple ass.

May 16, 2011 @ 10:25 AM

Mike V

You are talking about a man who had a career year last year and a red hot start this year. A man who is a career .249 hitter which equates to a little less then 1 for 4 a night. 8 seasons in the bigs with 129 HR to show for it.

And you are comparing him to another man who actually hit over .300 twice and came close two more times. Almost consistently hit 20+ homers a year that equates to 265 over 12 seasons. Has driven in more RBI's with 47 HR then Jose did with 54.

I could go on but you get the picture. In terms of a complete ball player, Bell wins. And isn't that what we should be grading players on and not just how many HR they hit?

I'm shocked that people haven't started questioning Jose's sudden burst of power and relating it to some drug we don't know about. I'm not saying he is on something, but the numbers are incredible and this is after all baseball.

May 16, 2011 @ 10:53 AM

brad

@mike v

true j-bau has only been amazing for a year and a bit but the way he's playing now is as good as any jays position player has ever played.

May 16, 2011 @ 11:10 AM

Mike V

@brad

Couldn't agree more, the way he is playing today is better then any player in baseball. But he has a little ways to go before replacing a guy like George Bell :)

May 16, 2011 @ 12:09 PM

Alex

Bautista better get used to getting walked.

He might never again see a hittable pitch.

May 16, 2011 @ 2:23 PM

elvis

@Mike V - Cox wrote an article last year suggesting we should be questioning Jose's power and if he is on the juice. It's a point that has already been raised.

Jose is the best player in baseball right now.

May 16, 2011 @ 3:15 PM

JJ

Different time, different era.

Just because the guy hit 3 yesterday, don't drink the juice too early Mike.

& Alan Ashby saying he never seen anything like him. Message to Alan, try matching Bonds numbers. Bonds got 1 or 2 pitches to actually hit & look what he did with them.

Mgrs are not as afraid of Bautista as they were of Bonds.

Just enjoy the ride, Mike but never compare athletes from different eras. It belittles their efforts.

May 16, 2011 @ 3:41 PM

elvis

Wow JJ. It's not like Mike said gay people should get married or anything.

May 16, 2011 @ 3:51 PM

Mike Kic

All I have to say about this argument is....I really hope, that he isn't using. It would be very disappointing if we heard that Jose is juiced, it's hard to believe how a guy who could only hit 15 hrs for years can suddenly lead the league....I just don't want to be Roger Clemonsed again!

May 16, 2011 @ 4:43 PM

Sammi

Mike is a typical Torontonian jumping on and off bandwagons and thinking they know more than they actually do.

May 16, 2011 @ 6:24 PM

@Sammi

You got me. I'm jumping on a bandwagon here.

Of course, it's completely unrelated that I've been a massive Jays fan since 1983 and I'm hardly on my own suggesting Jose Bautista is the best hitter in baseball today.

But yeah... I saw a bandwagon and took a leap.

May 16, 2011 @ 6:26 PM

dale

Today YES, he is best hitter in baseball but 1 1/2 seasons doesn't make him the best in BJays history.

Something just doesn't seem right with his hitting the last while. Hopefully not the same procedure as Colon had done with the Yankees this off season - check it out.

This reminds me of James Reimer - TOO MUCH, TOO SOON with appraises.

May 16, 2011 @ 7:45 PM

Buffalo Boy Mike

Mike, I really really like Jose Bautista, the more I watch him the more I like him and I think we as Jays fans can all breath a sigh of relief that we finally signed a player to a long term deal that may acutally fulfill that deal with some quality baseball. That said, George Bell is still my favorite Jay of all time. I have new for you, there are a lot of Jays past and present that are probably better than George Bell was, George Bell was however the first Jay and still the only Jay I believe to win the AL MVP. That may change this year, but even if Bautista is the best Jay ever, George, Steib and Henke will always be my favorites and there is nothing wrong with a soft spot on your heart for the past while rooting like hell for the guys in the present and future.....GO JAYS GO!!!!

May 16, 2011 @ 8:42 PM

Cheryl

Well, I hate baseball. It's too slow. It's too boring. The thing is he's probably on steroids. I can bet you any money he is. Anyway, he can't be that good. Anyway, I miss my Habs so bring back my Habs.

May 16, 2011 @ 8:44 PM

I'm not suggesting Bautista is the best Jay ever, that's Roberto Alomar.

Over six years ago, I wrote this: http://www.torontomike.com/2005/03/roberto_alomar.html

I'm saying he's a better ball player than George Bell was... and although it's only 1.5 years, it's a mind boggling good 1.5 years.

May 16, 2011 @ 8:56 PM

andrew

@ Cheryl:

Go & hibernate until September when the Habs who have cap issues like Gomez's contract won't improve next year.

It's baseball season sit & enjoy. Our Jays have something special here with Jose Bautista.

May 16, 2011 @ 9:11 PM

NW

I'd say that Bautista is certainly a better outfielder than Bell was.

May 16, 2011 @ 10:26 PM

JP

It's amazing that as soon as we lost Halladay, Bautista came out of nowhere to almost be the Halladay of hitting (at least so far)..

Love Jose, love the Jays

May 16, 2011 @ 11:10 PM

CQ

I still regard Tony Fernandez and Jesse Barfield as the Jays' best players. Bautista is a better modern era hitter, so was Delgado.

May 16, 2011 @ 11:55 PM

Cheryl

As I said, baseball is too slow and boring. If the weather doesn't improve so I can play tennis, bring back my Habs who will win the cup next year.

May 17, 2011 @ 5:46 PM

Mike Kic

wow.....i really hope that @cheryl chimes in again, very insightful!

May 17, 2011 @ 8:44 PM

JP

Canadians who want only hockey to exist, and for it be to played 12 months a yr = boring sports fans.

I love hockey too, but you've gotta love the variety.

May 18, 2011 @ 1:43 PM

Cheryl

Baseball is too slow and boring. I don't like it. I wish my Habs went deeper in the playoffs. They will next year. Well, we're not having any summer it seems like and I am sick of this rain bec I can't play tennis.

May 18, 2011 @ 6:12 PM