This Jays Fan Wants Jose Bautista To Slow the F**k Down

Blue JaysI love my Blue Jays, but Jose Bautista needs to slow the f**k down.

Last night, Jose Bautista became the first player to reach 40 home runs this season. That puts him on pace for 52 home runs, five more than George Bell hit in 1987. That means that odds are pretty damn good Bautista will push Bell out of the Blue Jays record books this September.

Every year I secretly root against Blue Jays sluggers who approach #47. I did it with Jose Canseco, I did it with Carlos Delgado, and I'm now doing it with Jose Bautista. I grew up idolizing George Bell, and I like him owning that record. I'd like him to keep it as long as possible.

Join me, will you, as we collectively root against Jose Bautista's power in an effort to preserve George Bell's claim to the Jays' single-season home run throne. It's the right thing to do.

George Bell

Other awesome George Bell entries:

Ryan

Here, Here!!!

I am 100% behind this important initiative. George Bell and his 47 bombs must stand!!!!

I love my Jays but hey, I'm a traditionalist!!!

August 24, 2010 @ 7:24 PM

Buffalo Boy Mike

I disagree Mike Mike, Mike, if you have been watching this team regularly this season and you are a true fan of this team you have to have developed a like for this collection of players. They have exceeded everyones expectations and have played the game with energy, enthusiasm and a lil intensity we have not seen for quite some time. I loved George Bell like you did, but geez, This guy can be the first Blue Jay to 50 homeruns he all by himself will fill the seats for the month of september and at least for me, he is getting me excited to tune in and watch the run towards the record. If the organization is smart the bring George Bell out to the park for the stretch of games leading up to the record breaker to allow George Bell to be there when it happens and make a moment of it. Root against it I will not, I will celebrate it as a great moment for this franchise and one that will surely bring back even more interest into a franchise that is on the upswing.

August 24, 2010 @ 11:04 PM

pearlgirl

No way, Jose!(pardon the pun) I love George Bell, but watching Bautista has been fun and has revived the Jays somewhat. I only hope Bautista will be half as loyal to the Jays as Bell was.

August 24, 2010 @ 11:47 PM

Alan G

Sorry, Mike. George has had the record for over 20 years. Nothing wrong with a Blue Jay from a new generation to overtake it, especially if it helps the team.

I loved Dave Stieb when he pitched for the Jays. He still holds the record for most wins by a Blue Jays pitcher. Would I be upset if another Jay's pitcher like Marcum or Morrow came along and broke that record. Probably not because that guy might very well have helped lead the Jays to a pennant or World Series. So I say, Go Juan Go! And George, thanks for the memories.

August 25, 2010 @ 12:25 PM

dale

George was a great player but in his later years I kinda turned off him because of his lack of intensity as not wanting to DH at times.
Juan Bautista loves playing in T.O. & he was glad he wasn't traded at deadline. Next year?? Sign him now as he is a good fielder & can play a decent 3rd or 1st also.
Break the record Juan as you deserve it, but most of all be #1 in all MLB for HR's this yr.

August 25, 2010 @ 7:04 PM

Buffalo Boy Mike

Alan I believe Roy Halladay holds the wins record does he not?

August 26, 2010 @ 4:05 PM

Alan G

Buffalo Boy Mike - yes Roy Hallady has most wins in one season with 22. I was thinking of Dave Stiebs overall record of 175. I guess in light of this discussion I should have been more specific. Still go Jays go, whoever you are!!!

August 27, 2010 @ 7:26 AM

I heard Stieb on the radio this morning. That guy was a warrior.

His 175 wins remain the Jays record, and unless Halladay comes back and wins a bunch more, I'm guessing it's safe for a very long time, possibly forever.

August 27, 2010 @ 9:55 AM