Browser Trends: The Fall of IE and the Rise of Chrome

browserI just analyzed the statistics for visitors to this site in January 2010 and January 2011.

In January 2010, here were the top four web browsers used by you:

1. Internet Explorer
  2. Firefox
  3. Safari
  4. Chrome

In January 2011, here were the top four web browsers used by you:

1. Internet Explorer
  2. Firefox
  3. Safari
  4. Chrome

You'll note the order remains the same, but there were significant changes when you compare the actual visits year-over-year. Here's the change from 2010 to 2011:

browsers

Although still the top dog, Internet Explorer visits fell by 14%, despite the fact overall traffic over this period increased by 17.95%. Firefox traffic was virtually unchanged, which means large increases by Safari and Chrome made up the IE difference.

Chrome users increased by 131% in just one year. That's pretty stunning, but maybe not. I'm one of those converts.

Are you loyal to your browser? If so, which one has your heart?

Chromer

I use Chrome. It's fast.

February 21, 2011 @ 11:21 PM

_Justink

I've been using Chrome for just under 2 years. It's fast and the extensions are great.

I absolutely can't stand internet explorer. It's gotten to the point where it annoys me to use it.

February 21, 2011 @ 11:47 PM

Il Duce

No offence Mike but who spends their time analyzing this on Family Day? Do you not have anything else better to do? Like re-organizing your baseball card collection or ironing your Captain Kirk uniform. Here’s a thought, get out of your basement and enjoy the day doing something with the Family!!

Nerd!!

February 22, 2011 @ 9:24 AM

Ryan G

well, il dickhead, at least Mike is doing something creative by writing an interesting article and creating and maintaining a popular blog.

it's better than criticizing both of those things, regardless of what day it occurs on.

(what balls to start your entry with "no offence mike")

r

February 22, 2011 @ 9:39 AM

@Il Duce

Everything I do, I do it for you. You are very blessed.

February 22, 2011 @ 10:01 AM

CQ

I use Firefox. It blows. It has no companion stored e-mail program. It needs "extensions" to do any little thing like watching basic video. It is slow. And worst of all it kicks into an unworkable offline mode every time the (dial-up) connection breaks; why bother then with a cache folder? And that stupid offline mode also needs to be manually unchecked from within the submenu after reconnect.
Netscape 7.0+, never 8.0, ran circles around it in every category. I only switched because Netscape, after some years service, could never accept or pass over (I think) the s7-addthis ad crap required to load so many otherwise simple as 1996 webpages.

I haven't tried Google's Chrome given how slow loading some of its other Google fluff stuff is - like its photographic address maps. However I like the unadorned search pages - excepting for when trying to switch between country specific addresses.

February 22, 2011 @ 10:15 AM

Ryan P

I'm a chromey...but I've switched between Firefox and Chrome lately.

Haven't touched IE in years(other than to download FF or Chrome).

February 22, 2011 @ 12:03 PM

_Justink

For the record, I haven't used internet explorer regularly in at least 8 years. I went from AOL to Firefox to Flock and finally to Google Chrome.

I have had some problems with Chrome, though. Sometimes when I type in a url and hit enter or click one of my favourites the website doesn't load. It just stays on whatever page I'm on, and I have to fully re-start the browser to get it to work again.

February 22, 2011 @ 4:34 PM

Ajax Mike

@CQ

"(dial up) connection"

Well THERE'S your problem...

February 24, 2011 @ 2:29 AM

jason

Chrome or nothing at home!

February 24, 2011 @ 1:25 PM

Roshan

I've used Firefox almost exclusively for a few years until 6 months ago when I started using Chrome but mainly only for Youtube videos and flash heavy sites. Now I've started using RockMelt as well and Chrome is fading away.

February 25, 2011 @ 11:59 PM

David

I use Firefox and chrome sometimes. Have not used IE in years.

August 19, 2014 @ 3:12 AM