The Rapid Decline of 30 Rock

TVI caught on to 30 Rock late in its first season, but I've been hooked ever since. It's a rarity for me: a basic cable comedy I actually enjoy.

At least I used to enjoy it. This season, it's gone flat. In season two I remember laughing aloud frequently and these days I'm lucky if there are two or three chuckles. 30 Rock's decline in comedic quality was quite rapid. It's barely watchable these days.

Are there any other 30 Rock fans out there who have noticed this?

30rock_l

GC

You can hardly call it a rapid decline when its only 5 episodes in and the live episode barely counts. I think the story of Alec Baldwin's will pick up as the season goes on but it does seem very dull with him right now.

November 9, 2010 @ 1:20 AM

Sammi

I agree with you Mike. It seems to have become a parody of itself. I think they found a shark and jumped over it. :)

November 9, 2010 @ 6:13 AM

Wayner

The "shark" may have been the live show they did...ill advised.

Once they conlude the Matt Damon and Elizabeth Banks storylines they should be back to normal

November 9, 2010 @ 7:51 AM

McNulty

I hate "jump the shark" references. It is used way too often.

I think 30 Rock is still better than 90% of anything else that is on TV right now. I still laugh.

But I think it is a show that can only last for so long. The characters make the show but after too much exposure they become grating.

Sometimes I think following the British model would be better. Don't let a show run on for too long. Look at Faulty Towers, The Office, Extras and a bunch more. They last 2-4 seasons and they end it.
Like George Costanza says, "Always leave on a high note."
Well, Jerry said it but George tried it.

November 9, 2010 @ 7:58 AM

Argie

Outside of Baldwin, this show is not funny. By far the most over-rated show on TV.

You want funny, watch the Office, Modern Family and of course, the incomparable Family Guy.

November 9, 2010 @ 8:59 AM

30 definitely was funny. I noticed it was less funny last year, but this year has been thoroughly disappointing.

The last two episodes in particular were very weak. I just want my funny back.

November 9, 2010 @ 9:16 AM

Steve

You're not alone. It's still better than most shows on basic cable television but the laughs are definitely disappearing.

November 9, 2010 @ 9:17 AM

CQ

Agreed Mike. Try rookie sitcom Outsourced on Thursdays at 9:30 - that's funny.

November 9, 2010 @ 9:19 AM

Jason Paris

Nitpicking, but 30 Rock is on NBC/City-TV. That's considered broadcast, not basic cable, regardless of how you receive it.

November 9, 2010 @ 1:37 PM

Eric

The worst 30 Rock episode is better than 90% of other shows so I keep watching.
30 Rock, The Office, Modern Family and Family Guy are my essential TV. I add Cougar Town sometimes as it is getting better.
Outsourced reminds me too much of daily life... no thanks.

November 9, 2010 @ 7:15 PM

Jackie

Totally agree. I loved 30 Rock and recommended it everyone when it first came on. Now... not so much. Liz and Jack have complete become caricatures. I suppose it was only a matter of time. Sadly, it is becoming like an SNL skit that has gone on too long.

February 3, 2011 @ 1:27 PM

Rob

I really don't agree. I think the quality of '30 Rock' has been upheld well. I've really enjoyed the fifth season - it's been consistently funny and the most adventurous to date. Perhaps it's the kind of show that shouldn't go on forever - especially when Alec Baldwin leaves - but I'm loving it right now.

March 28, 2011 @ 1:38 PM