My Love Affair With Mad Men

TVI finished the finale of The Wire in April 2009 and wondered where I could go from there? The Wire was stellar television and I couldn't find anything else as compelling and smart. Then, I found Mad Men.

Mad Men is the first show since The Wire that I've loved. It's so different from The Wire in terms of content, but both grip me and leave me wanting more. I'm half way through season four right now, so keep spoilers to yourself!

Although Mad Men has a great cast, it all revolves around the complex tortured soul of Don Draper. Don Draper is one of the best characters on television, ever.

Now excuse me, it's time for my smoke break.

Heather Madden

I have not seen season 4 of Mad Men, but I've read up on the episodes. I will buy the DVDs when released because it is my favourite series of all time. I'm love it, as there is not one imperfection, and it makes you think about life...and what it all means.

November 2, 2010 @ 11:41 AM

Il Duce

It tortures me to say this but Mike I agree with you about Mad Men. It is the best show on television right now.

Content, writing, characters, actors, directing, everything is bang on!

November 2, 2010 @ 12:10 PM

Bone Chain

Mad Men and The Wire have raised the bar alright. I just started on Sons Of Anarchy, so far, so good. I hear good things about Boardwalk Empire and The Walking Dead. But so far nothing has come close...

November 2, 2010 @ 12:55 PM

Anonymous

I recommend Friday Night Lights, I had no idea it was going to be so good. Plus my girlfriend loves it too.

November 2, 2010 @ 1:49 PM

Romy

From a production POV, it is almost flawless. Best since Sopranos IMHO.

November 2, 2010 @ 2:00 PM

McNulty

Mad Men is pretty close to perfection for television.

Good story, characters, acting, production values and direction.
I would say it is better than the Sopranos. It doesn't need shocks of violence for story telling...John Deere mowers not included.

November 2, 2010 @ 2:57 PM

argie

Great show.

Draper has it all but is still not happy.

Oh and the women on the show are outstanding....

November 2, 2010 @ 7:01 PM

Liz

WOW! I just finished Season One last night. What an incredible show. Watched it on Netflix because I have a one month trial on the go. For someone like me who is behind on TV gold, this works really well.

Don Draper - no character like him (that I know of). I haven't love a show this much since my Tony left us. He and his family are still in that diner, right? :)

November 2, 2010 @ 10:55 PM

Trish

Mad Men is a work of art, and certainly much more literate than The Sopranos. I watch every episode three or four times.

Sopranos: At some point, I realized I was only pretending to like Tony and his family. Somewhere around the third season I could no longer stomach the violence or the cruelty and humor that went along with it. Yea, I watched the last episode.

November 4, 2010 @ 4:20 PM

Jill

Mike, Check out the walking dead on AMC and tell me what you think. I personally love all things zombie.

November 8, 2010 @ 2:35 AM