Unplugging the VCR

tvThis past weekend, I did something that most of you likely did a long time ago. I unplugged our VCR.

This VCR has been hooked up for 14 years. Today, in an age of PVRs and DVDs, it simply collects dust. We haven't used the VCR in over a year, so it's been relegated to storage.

Do you still have your VCR hooked up?

VCR

TCN

Mine sits close to the other TV stuff, unplugged and looking quite sad and forlorn.

I still need to find a way to record selected VHS nuggets onto either DVD or some hard drive thingy, so the VCR may yet have one final role to play.

June 14, 2010 @ 9:44 AM

Steve

Mine is still hooked up, largely because PVR's are completely useless to blind people. Unfortunately the damn thing's been broken for a while so if I want to watch something I would have recorded I have to get it through torrents or what have you, either that or I need to get off my arse and hook up the spare.

June 14, 2010 @ 9:48 AM

McNulty

Mine is still hooked up and unused.

There are a few things on tape that I haven't tranfered to DVD yet. But the VCR is on life-support.

June 14, 2010 @ 10:06 AM

Wayner

I have a dual VHS/DVD player comes in handy as I don't to repalcee all my old VHS tapes for DVD and then Blu -ray?

June 14, 2010 @ 10:30 AM

Anonymous

By storage do you mean the garbage?

June 14, 2010 @ 11:00 AM

Mark

No, but I do still have an NES hooked up.

June 14, 2010 @ 3:16 PM

Faunie

Yes mine is still hooked up and being used on the basement TV.

June 14, 2010 @ 4:27 PM

Scott

Still got mine. I got too much stuff on VHS!

I still have the 1993 World Series on VHS (from the now defunct company "Orion", even though I had the 92/93 DVD World Series!

June 14, 2010 @ 6:53 PM

Two things...

I still have VHS cassettes I haven't digitized, the final game at Exhibition Stadium, Gretzky's last game, the first Raptors game, stuff like that, so as long as I have those tapes I'm going to hold on to something that can play them.

And re: the NES, that's awesome. I want one.

June 14, 2010 @ 7:28 PM

Digger

I have two still going. One, a Hitachi, is nearly 20 years old. It was reportedly really advanced for the time. I, too, have too much on VHS to get rid of the players and media yet. The issue is finding a reasonably good way to capture analogue video for digital formatting. There is plenty of digital capture hardware and software out there. Does anyone know of/have any recommendations?

June 14, 2010 @ 7:55 PM

Hobo Joe

Yup, still have mine hooked up, along with my Sega Genesis, and still playing both. I just watched my Bob Nelson VHS tape the other day.

I WISH I still had my NES but instead, I've downloaded some of the classic games like Super Mario Bros. and Tecmo Bowl. I just love dropping back to the goaline from the 50 and throwing the BOMB pretty close the the endzone. Still haven't quite landed a 100 yarder yet.

June 14, 2010 @ 9:02 PM

Buffalo Boy Mike

I do, but its a DVD/VCR Combo

June 14, 2010 @ 10:25 PM

Mike from Lowville

Still have mine ready to reconnect when I need to use it. (should not be plugged in all the time) I still use my VHS video camera too.

June 15, 2010 @ 7:35 AM

Wayner

with PVR is there another option other than recording the shows/movies you want to keep to VHS?

June 15, 2010 @ 12:34 PM

Satya

About half an hour ago I hit record on the ol' RCA so I could talk to my husband and still catch the last 4 minutes of The Office.

June 18, 2010 @ 6:50 PM

Neville A. Ross

I should have brought a DVD recorder along time ago, to convert the tapes I have to DVD (unfortunately, most of what I've taped over the years is all on DVD itself, with the exception of certain things like the MTV MVA's and the MTV Movie Awards that will never be on DVD or various other specials like Al Music [Weird Al Yankovic takes over Much Music!)] Other than that, my VCR's sits mostly unused. I have to get a device to begin converting what I have to a video format that will let me burn DVD's of my collection, and I've got to get that device soon, because it's discontinued, and only a couple of units are available at Amazon.com!

June 19, 2010 @ 1:06 AM

Jen

of course! I still have a vcr, and found this page because I'm looking to buy a new vcr. Like most of you, I still have too many tapes that have material that I will never see again, old Rosie O'Donell highlights, tons of videos from Muchmusic that no one will ever hear from again, even on Retro hours, BlueJays world series, the Leafs incredible run in 1993, etc, etc. Besides, has anyone ever come up with a re-usable recordable media after videotape? NO! And everyday, I tape my soap. Easy as pie, set, tape and watch in the evening. PVR isn't the only thing out there. VCRs are underrated gems. New and Improved is the industry's way of making sure you keep spending your money. I own a DVD player and many movies/shows/sports etc on DVD, but not everything I want will come out on DVD. So as long as I have the old tapes, I will keep the vcr plugged in and in use.

August 27, 2010 @ 7:01 PM