Club 102 with Chris Sheppard

radioBack in July, I shared 1:02 of Club 102 from The Phoenix with Martin Streek. Before Martin Streek took over, Club 102 was hosted by Chris Sheppard.

Many I night I spent listening to Chris Sheppard at Club 102 on CFNY. Before his BKS and Love Inc. house / dance stunts, Shep played a grab bag of interesting stuff, from hip-hop to industrial and beyond.

Here's some of Club 102 with Chris Sheppard.

rob

listened to his show faithfully.. Even when he went to local club in scarborough. Dr. Johns

September 15, 2009 @ 7:47 PM

andrew

Give it up!!
P.S. I sponsered you last year for Terry Fox run (under my name) but you blocked my responses from my home source. I was willing again to donate but????

September 15, 2009 @ 8:47 PM

Toronto Mike

C'mon andrew, buck up.

There was no donation from you under the name "andrew" last year.

The reason I've lost patience with your "do you take your kids to church?" and other slights against my kids (the kids are totally out of bounds) is because there have been several names/handles/personas posting comments from your IP address.

And yes, one of those names donated to my Terry Fox Run last year, and I appreciated it. But I'm starting to suspect you post as "andrew" when you want to be a total dick. You can change the name, but a dick is a dick.

September 15, 2009 @ 8:53 PM

Toronto Mike

@andrew

And, I'm not sure what you want me to give up.

If I want to post vintage CFNY clips, I will.

September 15, 2009 @ 8:55 PM

DanielleS

Until very recently, I had a number of old Live to Air shows on tape, dating back to when Shep was at RPM. I regret not hanging on to them bow, even if I don't have a cassette player any more.

Pls post the clips. I'd love to hear what you have got.

September 15, 2009 @ 10:54 PM

Buffaloboymike

Mike, I used to listen to Chris religiously, he played some great stuff, where is he now?
If CFNY wanted to make ammends they would try to get Shep on the air again. for the live to airs.

September 15, 2009 @ 11:37 PM

Gary

Ah memories! Quite the eclectic mix of music.

September 16, 2009 @ 7:41 AM

Wayner

I recently caught the last bit of a "cribs" episode on MTV Canada that featured Chris Sheppard...the impression that I got was that he is living modestly somewhere in the 905 region. Can anyone fill in the details?

September 16, 2009 @ 8:12 AM

Andrew (needs a more distinct name)

I really need a better name. Damn me for using my real name.

Maybe I should change it to McNulty.
Sigh...

Chris Sheppard was cool at first but he really began to get under my skin fast. I was never a big fan.

September 16, 2009 @ 9:07 AM

Toronto Mike

Chris Sheppard's delivery was rather pretentious, so I could see it getting under your skin.

But you have to admit from this clip that his playlist was all over the map.

September 16, 2009 @ 9:21 PM

DanielleS

Chris brought electronic music into Toronto, beyond the bootleg tapes from friends from Europe. What he played was beyond anything on the air at the time and he sought out more and more music to give us the beats we needed.

September 16, 2009 @ 9:56 PM

Greg L

Thanks for the blast from the past Mike! Those were the days - high school and partyin' Saturday night listenin' to the Shep on the wheels of steel! I loved when he used to just go on about his "uptight yuppie neighbours" lol

After Shep we'd head to The Danforth and listen to Deadly Headly while we chowed on greek food.

I'd love to hear more Shep from anyone who has clips.

Thanks bro :)

September 19, 2009 @ 10:39 PM

Jason G

Wow... thanks for posting!!!

S...H...E...Double P... A-R-D was way ahead of his time! Listened to him during the time when his show was syndicated across Canada.

September 21, 2009 @ 5:34 AM

Jonathan Saar

Anyone remember the name of the nightclub that Shepp used to play in exclusively and was broadcast live on CFNY ?

January 16, 2010 @ 8:28 PM

Steph Milk

the clubs name: RPM

March 25, 2010 @ 4:39 PM

Greg L

Does ANYONE have any clips of Shep's work on Club 102? I'd kill to groove to the Shep again!

April 18, 2010 @ 7:34 PM

Rev. Voodoo

I just found a videotape in my attic that pretty much runs. It was from the CFNY/Muchmusic Chris Sheppard Club 102 Simulcast. Shoot, when was that? Early 90s? I was trying to figure out when I recorded that, so I googled and found this site

April 25, 2010 @ 11:59 PM

Steve Burke

Very cool, this was before Shep developed that God-awful pretentious anything-but-British accent.

Back in the days you could hear NIN one second, then The Jam's (KLF) "It's Grim Up North" the next. From alternative to ambient, industrial to trance, Shep played it all and it was always a great musical education.

I had no problems with Martin Streek (RIP) though, he also did a great show despite being not as varied as Shep, you could still hear everything from Nitzer Ebb to PWEI to Happy Mondays to KMFDM. Lots of great musical history on Saturday nights on 102.1 CFNY.

Thanks for the little memory jog.

October 5, 2010 @ 3:20 PM

donnamarie

I met him in 1982 as he was the DJ at Dominos on Isabella in Toronto. Ya - he knew where he wanted to go then and he made it. I am proud to have met him. I hear he is doing well in the burbs of Toronto's west end. Hope he continues to make appearances as he does. Yet I never know where or when. I would definitely show up if I knew.
The Shep rocks.

December 13, 2010 @ 11:39 PM

Shane

Take a look at this site. It's just great. You hear live to air. Just click on (Click Here) and there it is. The original radio as if you were transported back to the 90's

February 11, 2011 @ 11:23 PM

Wandering Penguin

LOL - I listened to the clip to see if Sheppard could make it all the way through the 2 minutes without mentioning Skinny Puppy.

Of course he couldn't. What was I thinking?

June 11, 2011 @ 12:24 PM

Neil

I am on the hunt for old video clips for CFNY's ill fated Club 102 on CHCH TV in Hamilton. I have seen one still clip and that has been it.

August 17, 2011 @ 11:02 PM

Andrew (but not one who's been here before)

I used to spend the wee hours of the weekend mornings at the Voodoo Club on St.Joseph St. Chris Sheppard was the DJ there. He was very full of himself (of course, everyone was) and inaccessible to all but his cliquiest of sphere. This was just as he was getting his foot in the door at CFNY. I think it was Live Earl Jive who got him his start at CFNY but I could be wrong.
DJ AVery at the Domino Club on Isabella was more talented and customer friendly, but Sheppard was more driven.
Avery moved to New York and made a name in the clubs there after a long stint at the Big Bop on Queen St.
On the radio, Sheppard was just annoying. Especially when CFNY was still drawing a less than commercial music listener, the ones that got it off the ground.

April 23, 2012 @ 12:35 PM

Ed

Shep sold his place in the burbs and is now living full time in haliburton.

November 24, 2012 @ 3:32 PM

Evan

For anyone interested. Chris will be making a rare DJ appearence on December 26th at a club called Footwork www.footworkbar.com

details should be up on their site in the next week or two.

November 24, 2012 @ 3:35 PM

Cheryl cole

I am trying to get a message to chris Sheppard ...Re a service Monday the 17 th jan...let him know...I lit a candle for his dad george....

February 19, 2014 @ 4:49 PM