Edge 102 Bands / Artists Played in the Past 7 Hours

musicIt seems the most popular entries around these parts lately have been about Toronto radio. It started when Martin Streek and Barry Taylor were fired at Edge 102, continued when I wrote about the problem with Jack FM and culminated in the birth of Kiss 92 where Jack once broadcast. All three entries seemed to bring out the commenters.

I've mentioned I actually liked the music mix at Jack. I also really like the music mix at Edge 102. I listened to a lot of Edge 102 today, in the shower, in the car running a few errands and even on the ol' home stereo. I was digging the playlist, pleased with just about every tune I heard during this Double Shot weekend.

For the heck of it, here are the artists played on 102.1 the Edge between noon and 7pm today. Beside each band / artist, I'm putting a YES to indicate I really like the choice, a NO to indicate I really don't like the selection and an OK if I can take them or leave them.

SILVERSUN PICKUPS YES
FRANZ FERDINAND YES
PEARL JAM YES
METRIC YES
RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS YES
NIRVANA YES
NICKELBACK NO

I gave a YES to a resounding 95.5% of the bands I heard. Only 2% of the bands got a NO. That's pretty awesome, so what's the problem? The problem, according to this 7 hour snapshot, is repetition.

Only 30 of these bands are unique, or 66.7%. In fact, Billy Talent, Franz Ferdinand and Red Hot Chili Peppers each appeared in three different sets during this seven hour span. Considering every band is played back-to-back during Double Shot weekend, that's six songs from each band, which seems highly unnecessary.

102.1 the Edge is playing songs I want to hear, they're just repeating themselves more often than I'd like. But considering the current state of radio in this city, I'm just glad they haven't gone country... yet.

The_Voice

I really like the Edge. In fact, for about 10 years, I'd say it was the ONLY radio station I listened to.

But in the past couple of years, I've noticed that it hasn't been playing much in the way of new Rock. Isn't it suppose to be the "new" Rock station?

June 6, 2009 @ 11:16 PM

Buffalo Boy Mike

I Would like to see them start doing New Music Searches again like they used to. play things no other station will play...thats why you tuned in in the late mid 80's to early 90's Streetband's Toast who the hell else played that?
Who else played all the rare 80's new wave and 90s altrock no one but 102, they have to find a way back to that, even if it means pulling stuff out of the vault to do it and play some of the oldschool stuff in the meantime, but find your niche again.

June 7, 2009 @ 12:56 AM

Sammi

Putting aside the double shot weekend thing.....the station has become painfully even more repetitive. They don't take chances anymore and they play it real safe on everything.

Considering the crap that every radio station plays in this city, they are the best of a sorry lot of corporate sludge. Maybe a 3 out of 10 at best.

Toronto radio is embarrasing.

June 7, 2009 @ 8:31 AM

Toronto Mike

It's true, if I wanted to hear King Missile's Detachable Penis, I had a shot at CFNY.

Sammi's right. 102 is currently the best of a sorry lot when it comes to music in this city. They play good stuff, but they play it very safe and repeat like crazy.

June 7, 2009 @ 9:35 AM

CQ

Looking forward to another of your Classic Alt / New / Recent all-day typical playlist entries!

I'll say this: overall Edge is sounding fresher than last year when Weezer held the Number One 'chart position' for approx. 12 summertime weeks and MGMT's one movie soundtrack song then belatedly took over the broadcast.
I actually already miss JackFM and its regular rock. Although it was immensely better focused for listening 3 or 4 years earlier! Stretching out to both a modern Nickelback plus an older skewing Zep/Floyd sound killed its '76-91 good times 'if still plain old vanilla' vibe. (over)Mix doesn't work: GiantFM is bouncing between the 80s and 70s with every song - and who cares.

June 7, 2009 @ 10:04 AM

Devon

I think double-shot weekend means...let's repeat even more!!

Your playlist Mike, is almost the entire playlist of this once mighty station. Too bad.

Radio really sucks in Toronto....but no-one is listening.

June 7, 2009 @ 10:30 AM

jason | Getyouroj.com

It's not even the best of a sorry lot and those who beat this subject to death are an even sorrier lot. . .

The sorrier lot who still listen to the garbage and/or debate it. . .

Again, what year is this?

Please drink your shut up juice as soon as possible.

June 7, 2009 @ 10:48 AM

jason | Getyouroj.com

p.s. written while enjoying indie 103.1 on the internet..

..maybe one day you suckers will give it up and find some stations you truly enjoy as well.

June 7, 2009 @ 10:49 AM

Toronto Mike

OJ Boy, you're the king of beating this subject to death. We all know you want stations playing stuff a minuscule minority actually wants to hear.

I'm having trouble tuning in indie 103.1 on my car and home stereo... maybe it's my antenna?

And not to be the official CFNY apologist or anything, but this entry was meant to be pretty positive. I enjoyed listening to almost every song they played. I'll bet I wouldn't be able to say that about indie 103.1.

June 7, 2009 @ 10:55 AM

Andrew

OJ loves to hate CFNY.

Sure listening to 103.1 Indie may be better. But I don't listen to the radio at home. I listen while I drive. So that leaves the stations in the GTA.

Go ahead and bash the radio here but offering up alternatives that are useless is just plain stupid. That;s like telling me that the best Steak Restaurant can be found in Calgary. While it may be true it makes it still hard to find a good steak in Toronto.

CFNY plays the same stuff too much. I don't like RHCP so I get tired when I hear them twice on my ride home. I think it is very irresponsible programming. However, it is better than listening to the other stations.

June 7, 2009 @ 11:15 AM

brad

where's the soundgarden?

where's the white stripes?

where's the offspring?

$10 says all 3 bands got played in the next hour

June 7, 2009 @ 11:29 AM

Andrew

$10 says the playlist started at the beginning again.

June 7, 2009 @ 11:34 AM

jason | Getyouroj.com

Mike, if you started liking Indie 103 and other quality stations it would be time for the people would good taste in music to move on.

Sorry if that wasn't clear to you, soccer dad.

And Andrew. . .

Buy an iPod for the car. hell you can HAVE my shuffle because I feel that sorry you having to listen to the crap on the radio in T.O.

June 7, 2009 @ 11:42 AM

shane alexander

the music you say you like gears to the open minded demographic..however, even though you tout to be that kind of person, the more and more you rant about your own favorites and thus making everyone seem dumb they don't fall into your favorites on your ipod makes you look like a idiotic hypocrite. i don't remember once someone coming down on your taste in music, while you tend to do the opposite to us.

isn't this kinda like the reason why you left a certain radio message board?

you're just an idiot.

June 7, 2009 @ 3:42 PM

Irvine

So if you want a choice in the car, get Sirius. If mainstream Alt Rock is your choice, hit "Alt Nation 21" up and you'll hear what is a decent mainstream Alt rock station

You'll still hear Coldplay but you'll also hear Coconut Records, She Wants Revenge, CSS, Tegan & Sara, & dozens of other bands that Edge 102 doesn't dare to touch & never will

Interesting comments on Indie 103.1. Indie 103 comes about as close to sounding like "CFNY FM, 102.1 The Spirit of Radio" as any station I've heard in the past 20 years. Sorta weird to hear those that idolize 102.1 diss Indie 103.

The hard reality is..is that if CFNY returned to "The Spirit" right now, most of you would tune out. You like to think you're "adventurous" with music, but it's actually the opposite.

June 7, 2009 @ 11:25 PM

Toronto Mike

Nobody here is dissing Indie 103, we're just pointing out the fact we can't hear it on terrestrial radio.

My 1999 car essentially limits me to radio these days, a HUGE advantage for 102.1.

June 8, 2009 @ 7:57 AM

Andrew

If I could get Indie 103.1 in my car I may listen to it. I can't. Since I have never listened to 103.1 I cannot "dis" it.

I also tend to like a little bit of talk in my listening. The straight music of an IPod or sattelite lacks a bit of personality for me.

Again, I don't what the on-air talent at 103.1 is like since I have not been able to find it on my car radio. The reception is bad enough for some Toronto stations once I hit Kitchener.

June 8, 2009 @ 8:46 AM

jason | Getyouroj.com

Shane, I assume you include yourself in that "us" but I don't remember acknowleging your existence until now.

Futhermore, I didn't leave the Big Yellow Board, I was banned for defending Humble and Fred. True story, and I couldn't care less. If I wanted to talk to dinosaurs, I'd go to the ROM.

Also Shane, I never called you names to further my argument... but you seem to have to... you're so Bush League.

I never commented on YOUR taste in music Shane, because I don't know the first thing about you. Nor do I want to.

Why do you seemingly think you know so much about me??

Are you stalking me?

You address me saying that I am judging people, but yet you spew this garbage about what you think you know about me.

Get a life.

June 9, 2009 @ 6:26 PM

shane alexander

----

...it's "acknowledging" you blogger..secondly who is "us"?

again, you "writer" it's "furthermore" ...second strike btw on the writing skills...is this why you don't write more than more than a paragraph on your blog? you totally can't spell. anyway..you stated in your own blog that you didn't go to sowny because you didn't like how when people differed your own opinion..true story.

umm..ok.

umm..i never said you did.!

Why do you seemingly think you know so much about me??

i don't

Are you stalking me?

you are....dumb dumb.

Get a life.

asshole.

June 10, 2009 @ 5:06 AM

elvis

As an outsider who doesn't know anything about this stuff I have to ask - does anyone like Jason or is he in Argie territory?

June 10, 2009 @ 10:52 AM

Toronto Mike

Some of us actually like Argie.

June 10, 2009 @ 11:09 AM

Stan

Amazing how one artist in 7 hours can destroy the credibility of an entire station. Any station purporting to be Alternative Rock, and playing Nickleback has no musical credibility. Are there any other Alternative stations in Canada playing them? Maybe its a chummy Corus thing.

June 10, 2009 @ 1:33 PM

jason | Getyouroj.com

Shane, it's called a typo.

BTW, "is this why you don't write more than more than a paragraph on your blog?"

pot-kettle much?

more than more than a paragraph... well let's see... unlike you, I have a job... and a girlfriend... and a life... I don't spend all my time sucking on helium balloons to get that high pitched cartoon voice like you... I don't have time for writing essays or primers on pearl jam or whatever it is you might be looking for...

my blog is whatever *I* choose it to be on any given day. take it or leave it.

thanks for reading, suburb boy. say hi to wblogg for me. and thanks for more name-calling.

xoxoxo

June 10, 2009 @ 6:42 PM

jason | Getyouroj.com

oh, and "us" = shane said "while you tend to do the opposite to us."

man, you really are dense.

June 10, 2009 @ 6:44 PM

elvis

Hold on, I need more popcorn.

Ok, good, I'm back.

Keep on bitchin' ladies.

June 10, 2009 @ 8:53 PM

periwinkle

I might not be the biggest fan of alt-rock, sure. But having listened to the Edge far more than I would care to as part of working with 3 other people, I can agree that their chief problem is repetition. It seems it's 5 new songs, mixed in with about 40 others from the late 90's. Luckily, there's a jazz station that actually does play some pretty awesome stuff (If you are into it)

July 13, 2009 @ 10:54 PM

Jack Mihoff

Must agree with the general feeling the station is incredibly repetitive. Combine that with the mandatory Canadian content broadcasting laws and you get an unbearable amount of Billy Talent.

One of the only reasons I listen to the station is for their morning show which is starting to repeat itself as well.

July 16, 2009 @ 4:05 PM