Billy Red Lyons, Dead at 77

In MemoriumBilly Red Lyons was 77. He was the Canadian wrestling personality who promoted WWF live events throughout Canada from the mid-1980s through early 1990s, with the phrase “don’tcha dare miss it” becoming a signature ending to his promos.

I can't tell you how many times I heard him say "don’tcha dare miss it" during Maple Leaf Wrestling, a show I watched every Saturday afternoon as a kid.

Down Goes Brown

He will be buried under the long, black ramp that leads to the ring at MLG.

RIP Billy Red.

June 23, 2009 @ 4:52 PM

Kirsten

Wow. I just mentioned me as a 12 year old in a previous comment, and now here you are, showing me Billy Red (RIP), Ted DiBiase and Virgil, and Bobby Heenan and King Kong Bundy.

Memories. How do you FIND this stuff? LOL

June 24, 2009 @ 1:23 AM

Andrew

Oh King Kong Bundy. Great name.

Poor Billy Red. I always liked him.

June 24, 2009 @ 9:01 AM

Dizz

What a loss.

June 24, 2009 @ 1:22 PM

CQ

Yet the Star doesn't seem to have this passing noted (Wed 3:30 p.m.). It's all Perez & McMahon in the news cycle.

June 24, 2009 @ 3:29 PM

Toronto Mike

Which is extra surprising b/c I learnt about it from @scroll's tweet linking to Chris Zelkovich's Toronto Star blog.

June 24, 2009 @ 3:38 PM

shane alexander

wwe hasn't posted anything, either. the only place that has some kind of substantial obit is slam sports. i remember listening to billy red's way of promoting the shows and caught me everytime...went to most of those maple leaf garden shows from '87 on..

June 24, 2009 @ 4:17 PM

Alana

I just want to share that Bill "Billy Red" was an amazing man right up until his last day. He had lunch with my husband almost every week for the last 5 years and even though there was a 45 year age difference, they became great friends. His loss is deeply felt and although he'd make some hilarious joke about his own death, he will be sorely missed. RIP Bill.

June 24, 2009 @ 10:55 PM

Fidel

Gonna miss Billy Red Lyons,who wrestled here in Dallas Sportatorium many years ago. RIP Billy Red.

June 24, 2009 @ 11:18 PM