Alex Rios: Swears Outside ROM, Deserves a Little Slack

JaysOn Friday night, during my own ball game, I got a tweet from Vegas Geoff.

Alex Rios swears at a fan. Just for you, @TorontoMike http://bit.ly/8AMYd

I watched the video that night, actually felt bad for Alex Rios, and tweeted the following:

@Vegasgeoff If I had 5 strikeouts, I'd swear at my own mother.

I didn't even blog about it, because I'd just defend Alex Rios and nobody wants to see a multi-million dollar athlete defended when he's swearing around young fans. He really should have showed some restraint, but he's slumping. He's slumping really good, and he had five strike-outs that day. As a guy who loves playing ball and plays about three times a week, I meant what I tweeted to VegasGeoff. If I had five strikeouts in a game, I'd swear at that guy outside the ROM as well. Whether it was a rec league softball game or a pro game for which I was a paid a mountain of money.

Mike Kic, a member of my comp division softball team, wrote me this morning asking why I haven't posted the video. Kic thinks Rios is a classless bum. I say Rios doesn't have to sign every ball handed to him outside a charity event and his response to the heckling wasn't drenched in Halladay-like class, but doesn't warrant a communal lashing by guys like us. I'm almost happy to see he gives a damn that the fans are demanding more.

We expect more from Rios and he expects more from himself. He's apologized for his tirade and that's good enough for me. What do you guys think about Alex Rios' profane tirade outside the ROM?

brad

That guy calling Rios a bum - he's the guy I want to lash

June 7, 2009 @ 11:28 AM

Andrew

He was setup. The guy yelling at him was trying to get the reaction that he got.

Too many people want to be "YouTube" famous. Catch people on camera at their worst.

It could happen to all of us. I don't condone Rios' actions but it's not like he was unprovoked.

June 7, 2009 @ 11:33 AM

Down Goes Brown

@Andrew...

The guy calling him a bum is out of line, but Rios goes to the f-bombs right away. It's not like he was continually provoked into it.

He needs to just get into the car and leave at that point.

June 7, 2009 @ 1:52 PM

Buffalo Boy Mike

I give him a pass, if he was a bum why would he be doing charity, he does well by the City. The guy who called him a bum was out of line and Rios should have watched his mouth but overall I give Rios some slack.....That said, Im not totally against a trade for Peavy

June 7, 2009 @ 7:28 PM

Gary

None of us will really know how guys like Rios are constantly persued and never really left alone.

I get annoyed with my wife when she nags me for more than 5 minutes. Imagine that feeling every where you go.

Alex does some really good things for the city. Give him a break.

June 8, 2009 @ 9:13 AM

terry

u guys defending him make me sick...u guys make me wonder...he gets paid 10mill a season for what to strike out 7 times in a row ...last year he had a sub par season as well...rem this is the only player ever to strike 5x in 2 games this season...he is lucky a kid wanted an autograph...and that other fan called him a bum because he was upset that rios did not acknowledge the child...that guy had more class than rios...i have lost all respect for him...so stop defending him smart asses

June 8, 2009 @ 11:03 AM

Fredericton Steve

It is people like us that put him in the situation that he can become a multimillionaire. Sign the kids ball and get in the car.

June 8, 2009 @ 1:48 PM

Mike Kic

I agree with Terry, I simply can't defend a classless individual like that. The kid wants his autograph, don't be such a ass! Wow, it must be a tough life getting paid $8 mil per year to play ball. I've never liked Rios, he's such a lazy player and WAY overrated!

June 8, 2009 @ 5:19 PM

Toronto Mike

What he did wasn't cool, but I'm not horrified or enraged by it. I'm giving him a little slack on this one.

I'm off to our game right now. If a snot-nosed kid wants my autograph, I'm going to let him have it. Rios style.

June 8, 2009 @ 5:22 PM

whocares

who cares!? he's human.. how many of us haven't told anyone to fuck off.. especially around kids. I shouldn't even be writing this because this shit isn't a big deal. but we live in a land of hipocrisy, so i'm posting it.

June 20, 2009 @ 12:08 PM