Natasha Richardson, Dead at 45

In MemoriumNatasha Richardson was 45. She was the actress who won a Tony for her performance as Sally Bowles in the 1998 revival of "Cabaret" and earned raves for her Blanche DuBois in a 2005 production of "A Streetcar Named Desire."

andrew

No Helmet. Skiing, snowboarding at any level a helmet must be worn.
With this tragic death I'm sure rules & laws will change.

March 18, 2009 @ 10:28 PM

James Edgar

The rules are FINE. She skied without a helmet and a tragic accident happened. Millions of people ski without helmets. No problem. Might as well ban sking as insist on helmets. Life IS NOT risk free all this babying crap is just weakening our society so that we won't be able to cope with real problems.

March 19, 2009 @ 8:06 AM

Mike from Lowville

I agree James. I would love to take a slow easy ride around my country side on the old Norton or the Triumph. Would not do it on a regular ride though, too many cars and trucks with incompetent people behind to wheel. Also, helmets riding a bicycle? Adults should have a choice with that call, as with skiing or snowboarding or water-skiing or flying a homebuilt, riding a 4 wheeler, snowmobile, unicycle, etc.

March 19, 2009 @ 8:21 AM

Andrew

Who is this lower case "andrew"? Ahh!

It is tragic. From what I understand it was a simple fall. It will probably be discovered that she has some undiagnosed brain condition.

March 19, 2009 @ 8:55 AM

Toronto Mike

I don't think they should pass a law forcing an adult to wear a helmet while skiing. That should be our call.

I understand this was a bunny hill - she was taking a lesson on a little hill and had a minor fall. She was fine at first, and didn't seek medical attention until headaches an hour later.

Freak accidents happen - sad, but true.

March 19, 2009 @ 9:14 AM

Stephanie Wilkinson

James and Mike from Lowville... I suspect neither of you have children (or those less than 13) to have such an anti-helmet opinion.

We get one chance in this world and we are fortunate enough to live in a society and in a time when technology and knowledge have proven that just a little safety and common sense can make a huge impact to the outcome.

Way-back-when, skis (for example) weren't as fast as they are now so simple physics would suggest that as speed increases so too does the risk of worse injury. Snowboarding, hockey, tobogganing even... as these sports and pastimes evolve so do the risks.

I'm not a bubble-wrap mother but to think a helmet (on a ski run, hockey rink or bicycle) is going to give my son, daughter or myself a better chance of walking away from a fall, I say take it.

The day I became a mother was the day I realized that everything I did would reflect on my children. What kind of message am I sending if I say a helmet is optional for me and not for them? If something 'happens' to me then does that make it okay for my kids then to grow up without me? I think the risks of my children not having me growing up far outweigh the 20 or 30 minutes I might be wearing a helmet during a bike ride.

March 19, 2009 @ 9:20 AM

Mike from Lowville

Again, Stephanie I said adults. I do have two boys. When they were younger they did comply with the laws. They are adults now, youngest wears a helmet (by choice) snowboarding, I don`t. My oldest wears a helmet sledding and biking, I do too, it`s the law. They both work at golf courses and have to wear helmets. Should golfers be required to wear helmets or be forced to because there is a risk of harm or injury or death. I don`t. You say your not a bubble wrap Mom but, I bet I can hear you POP if I pinched you....lol.

March 19, 2009 @ 10:32 AM

James Edgar

Stephanie you are correct I have no children. And if I did I would wear a helmet any time they did. That's just commen sense parenting IMHO. I commuted on a bicycle for years downtown and long before Helmets were the norm I wore one. I ride a motorcycle now. Even if I didn't have to wear a helmet I would.I wear other saftey gear I'm not requred to even if it's somewhat uncomforatble.

I just resent this nanny state stuff where everything is regulated and nobdy makes choices.

March 19, 2009 @ 10:33 AM

Annemarie

People still die w/ helmets.

March 19, 2009 @ 2:45 PM

andrew

My mssg. was that any injury to the head is serious & anything that could HELP in any way (a helmet) would make the injury less severe. Helmets do save lives as do seatbealts. Don't we all now use seatbelts even those wearing them still have tragic accidents but at a lesser extent.
As of last year don't Major League Baseball coaches at 1st & 3rd base have to wear helmets due to an unfortunate tradegy 2 years ago?
Don't you ALL think that skiing at any level in more dangerous that coaching baseball at 1st or 3rd base?
It's your CHOICE for now but I see a law being passed shortly.

March 19, 2009 @ 5:59 PM

Stephanie Wilkinson

Mike (from Lowville)....

Referring to your 'pop' comment...

I may be a mother from Oakville but the pop you might hear wouldn't be a fake pop.

They're real and they're spectacular!

March 19, 2009 @ 9:28 PM

Mike from Lowville

Stephanie...you just made my day......lol! I think we're on the same page.....sort of.....but, I hear you. No disrespect.

March 19, 2009 @ 10:33 PM

coffee maker

Natasha will be missed; and our condolences go out to Liam

March 29, 2009 @ 10:14 PM