Mary Barrie, Andy Barrie's Wife, Passes

bereavementOn November 6, Andy Barrie took an indefinite leave of absence from his duties as host of Metro Morning on CBC Radio One. I heard his sign-off as he told us there were serious health issues in his family right now and he needed to leave his post in order to offer his full support there.

Last month, I wrote about how fiercely the CBC was protecting Andy's privacy, as they never referred to Andy's three month absence nor did they acknowledge he would one day return to the airwaves. I asked Andy if he was okay, and he replied.

I'm really touched that so many people are concerned. Let me reassure anyone who's worried about my welfare that I'm alright and that there's no wish on either the CBC's or my part to be mysterious. It's just as I said when I went on leave- I'm needed by my family. I might be a public person, but they're not. The CBC's been wonderfully supportive throughout all this. I miss my work, but not as much as I'd be missed at home if I weren't able to be here.

All the best to all...
Andy

Sadly, we now know why Andy has been on leave. His wife, Mary Barrie, has died of cancer.

TORONTO — Mary Barrie, the wife of popular CBC Radio host Andy Barrie, has died following a battle with cancer.

Barrie, the host of Metro Morning on CBC Toronto for some 12 years, had left the program last November to be with his ailing wife. She died Wednesday after recently retiring as director of the School of Continuing Studies at the University of Toronto.

Prior to that, she worked at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre in Toronto as the director of education and human resources planning.

A statement today on Metro Morning said the couple were married for almost 40 years and have one daughter.

The couple lived on a farm north of Toronto and it was there she spent the last few months of her life.

She sounds like she herself was an extraordinary lady. My condolences to Andy and his family on their loss.

Mike from Lowville

My condolences to Andy and his family. Cancer is cruel.

February 19, 2009 @ 10:24 AM

James Edgar

My condolences to the Barrie family.

February 19, 2009 @ 10:36 AM

Anton Norbert

We send our condolences to Andy and his family.

We who are all connected to Andy via the radio have become an extended family of sorts.

Thank you Mary for enriching our lives through Andy.

Bless you all.

February 19, 2009 @ 11:06 AM

Anne-Marie Brinsmead

Dear Andy,

Mary was an inspiration to me and many at University of Toronto's School of Continuing Studies during her 12-year tenure as Director of the School of Continuing Studies. Her leadership, compassion and brillance will live on in those like me had the honour, privilege and pleasure of knowing her as colleague and mentor. My heart is with you both, Andy and Jessie.

February 19, 2009 @ 5:13 PM

Shirley

Condolences to you & your daughter. May your storehouse of memories sustain you both for the road ahead.

February 19, 2009 @ 7:38 PM

Carolyn

I heard the announcement of Mary's death on Metro Morning. It was a very sad way to start the day. I've thought of Andy and Jessie many times today. I hope that your memories, and the support of those around you sustain you during this time.

February 19, 2009 @ 8:32 PM

T8ERS

May God rest her soul.

February 19, 2009 @ 11:50 PM

Janet

I was devastated to hear of Mary's passing. How sad for Andy and Jessie. Andy has been sorely missed on Metro Morning over the past few months but now we all understand why his absence was necessary. Hopefully, in time, he will be with us on the air once again.

February 20, 2009 @ 11:28 AM

Caroline Prinsep

Dear Andy and Jessie
Please send me Jessie's blog so I can send a personal message of sympathy
Our best wishes
Caroline , Val , Thoby and Barley Prinsep

February 21, 2009 @ 9:26 AM

Caroline Prinsep

Dear Andy and Jessie
Val and I were very sad to hear of Mary's death, I was very moved to read Jessie's description of her passing.
All I can tell you is that the pain never goes away but you learn to manage it in time.
I have found work my best companion.
Our sympathy is with both you and Jessie.
Best wishes
Caroline, Val, Thoby and Barley (I hope this finds you as we are in Dubai now)

February 21, 2009 @ 10:41 PM

Ira Kotler

Andy and Jessie,
My family and I send sincere wishes of sympathy to you at this time.
Hearing of your loss has kindled fond memories of many years gone by.
Wishing you a return to happy times as soon as feasible. Ira

February 24, 2009 @ 10:23 PM

Muhr

Andy,

My deepest condolences to you and your family. I used to live in Toronto before I moved south. Every morning on the way to work in Toronto I'd listen to you. I happen to remember you today for some reason and then looked you up on google to see what you are up to. I am so sorry to here about the loss of your wife.

April 7, 2010 @ 10:52 PM