Snow-Mageddon?

snowflakeEnvironment Canada is calling it Snow-Mageddon. Tomorrow morning Toronto will get 15cm and they're calling for another snow storm on Sunday.

Isn't "Snowmageddon" a little dramatic? 15cm tomorrow and a bunch more on Sunday makes for crappy driving conditions, but we've been through so much worse. Last winter, for example..

If we're calling this Snow-Mageddon, where do we go from here? Snowpocalypse? Snowocaust? Snow-Hope?

We should have saved Snow-Mageddon for a bigger storm...

Andrew

I'm waiting for the often used and overdone joke about Toronto bringing in the Army.

It will be a lot of snow. We are in Canada for crying out loud. We're supposed to get a lot of snow.

December 18, 2008 @ 10:57 AM

Mike from Lowville

The potential is for up to 2 feet in some areas. I had to laugh when Matt on channel 11 said "Snow-Mageddon" though. If 2 feet of snow does drop on the GTA, it will be a good thing that it happens on the weekend. You know, experience shows, when there is major hype for anything it usually fizzles. I have the sleds ready to ride, just in case. If there's something in your backyard you may want to get to, best pick it up or, at least identify it with a stick! ;O)

December 18, 2008 @ 11:05 AM

Toronto Mike

As long as I can make it to my hockey game at 10:15pm tomorrow night...

December 18, 2008 @ 11:14 AM

Mike Kic

As long as it doesn't prevent me from seeing Malkin and Crosby take on the Leafs in Pittsburgh, I'm happy.

December 18, 2008 @ 11:17 AM

Toronto Mike

Kic, that's sweet.

Let's make it four in a row.

December 18, 2008 @ 11:25 AM

Buffalo Boy Mike

Anything short of Blizzard of 77 or the 84 inch week long lake effect event we had a few years ago will be a disappoinment in B-Lo

December 18, 2008 @ 11:37 AM

Stephanie Wilkinson

Buffalo Boy, didn't you have a major snowstorm a few years ago on Christmas Eve? They're calling for that for us here too. I think the snow-mageddon includes the Tuesday-into-Wednesday system as well.

December 18, 2008 @ 1:14 PM

elvis

Hopefully there is enough snow so they have to cancel Christmas (but not Festivus).

December 18, 2008 @ 1:51 PM

Heather

I landed here from your TV Time Machine tags - and I feel as if you must have been right there next to me in the livingroom watching those programs! I'm still wading through them! THANK you for posting this all online!

As for snowmageddon - nah, media are SUPPOSED to sensationalize it. I was flipping stations this morning on my way to work and someone was announcing "A really bad snowstorm is expected to hit this evening with anywhere from ONE to FIFTEEN centimetres of snow!"

Uh, one or two centimetres doesn't constitute a really bad snowstorm, imho.

Now I'm going to plug through the rest of your site! Awesome stuff!

December 18, 2008 @ 2:04 PM

LEW

The benifit concert to help shovel you out will be Snowlapolloza

December 18, 2008 @ 3:02 PM

Buffalo Boy Mike

Yeah we had a week where we got 84 inches that was Christmas week.
We had a Thanksgiving week storm too back in 2000

December 18, 2008 @ 4:10 PM

Buffalo Boy Mike

Lew Im liking that Snowlapolloza idea, who can we get to play it?

December 18, 2008 @ 4:12 PM

VegasGeoff

Yesterday, up to 10" fell in parts of Las Vegas.

Yes, Las Vegas.

School was cancelled due to snow for the first time since 1972. Every major highway into Las Vegas was shut down. Power was out everywhere.

That's Snow-Mageddon.

Pictures are here if you are curious:

December 18, 2008 @ 5:45 PM

dale

While all the bands are playing at Snowlapollza the movue SNOW DAY can be shown on the giant screen behind them so this could be a family event.

December 18, 2008 @ 5:46 PM

The_Voice

There's also gonna be Thudersnow this weekend! Thudersnow! This is a weekend of cool sounded snow related stuffs!

December 18, 2008 @ 7:31 PM

Mike from Lowville

" Yesterday, up to 10" fell in parts of Las Vegas. "

Normal, nothing to worry about! Happens all the time!

December 18, 2008 @ 7:54 PM