Goldie Gardner No Longer Annoying Us On WNED17

TVBuffalo native Kathleen has just informed me that Goldie Gardner has finally retired. You may not know that name, but you know the face and you know the voice. We Torontonians have been bombarded by Goldie's pleas to give to PBS during the many pledge drives on Buffalo's WNED 17 for almost three decades.

I was very young the first time she annoyed me, I'm guessing it was around the same time the video below was recorded. Enjoy retirement, Goldie. The cheque is in the mail.

Annemarie

THANK GOD.

July 28, 2008 @ 10:33 AM

Stafford

I've spent hundreds of millions of dollars in pledges to end Goldie and the pockmarked-faced guy with glasses' reign of WNED terror to get back to the Frank Sinatra special. Or the Fawlty Towers marathon.

Still, I did have a *teeny* bit of a boy crush in the '70s for Goldie. Hey it was Friday, I was 14 at home laughing at Monty Python and something...anything...with breasts showed up on the old Electrohome.

Goldie was my TV call girl. Give her $10 and we were back to the parrot sketch.

July 28, 2008 @ 1:19 PM

Andrew

I always thought she was a Muppet.

July 28, 2008 @ 3:15 PM

Kathleen

Goldie always had to screw with my Sesame Street time!!

July 28, 2008 @ 5:50 PM

Buffalo Boy Mike

Oh my god, always at the most inopportune times she would come on and start spewing poison at you.

July 28, 2008 @ 8:53 PM

Kathleen

I wonder if she got a Masterpiece Theatre tote bag and a limited edition Eastenders mug as a retirement gift.

July 29, 2008 @ 11:52 AM

Toronto Mike

Now I feel bad for poor, sweet Goldie. When she Googles her name, she'll see this entry is #1 and she'll drop by and realize how annoyed we all were by her pestering.

July 29, 2008 @ 12:56 PM

felix

Fear not, on the US Google version your entry is buried on the second page.

July 29, 2008 @ 4:59 PM

Christine

Goldie always told me on Sunday to wake up my mom and dad and have them come to the TV....I did what she told me. They were NOT pleased at all!

That was during the Sesame Street marathon on Sundays.

In the article about her in the Buffalo News, it tells how she went to Buff State in the early 90s.

That confirmed for me she was in one of my classes. I remember her sitting in the second row in the communication center every Tuesday and Thursday.

She has a face that everyone just KNOWS.

By the way, the class was American Pop Music. ;D

July 31, 2008 @ 2:50 AM

Mike from Lowville

What really bugged me about her was her trying to be so hip or knowledgeable about things, Goldie was the first nerd girl.

August 4, 2008 @ 10:50 AM

Sean

Ah Christine, that worked on me ONCE. Then I knew better than to get my parents to the TV. It's sad though. I always had a crush on Goldie. Now I'm married and when Plain & Fancy Cooking comes on (often reruns) my wife says "Your BABE is on!" She knows Goldie was my not so secret hottie since childhood.

August 25, 2008 @ 5:41 PM

Sean

Nobody has written since my last post. Hm. So this is last year's news but...
"Goldie’s husband, David Cady (whom she met at WNED), retired this year from WNED as well. They have two sons: Ben, 25, and Adam, 23."
So add a year to this. True they would have been MY sons if I had it my way. Oh well. That would have made me 15 when Ben was born? Hot down!

June 15, 2009 @ 2:55 AM

billboardnumber1

my mom used to say that everytime that woman goldie is on air, she always sounded like she's crying when she asks for money donation.

February 21, 2011 @ 9:38 AM

Murrinski from Southampton, ON

She did her job. So what if she bored a lot of folks? There have been worse commentators. Be nice all you
dissenters and wish her well in her retirement and wish her a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, too, while your at it.--Love to all.

December 4, 2011 @ 11:10 PM

Linda

Man, you guys are being so cruel! Myself & my husband met Goldie at the Ontario Science Centre back in the early 80's & she was very sweet, not at all annoying & that thing she did for WNED was just her job. She got married, had a couple sons, worried about affording college/university when the time came & ended up aging before her time. I hope she has a much more relaxing retirement.

May 8, 2012 @ 1:51 PM

Isabelle Grieves

I just opened up this site as a gift to my 72 year old husband who was fondly remembering Goldie and wondering what has happened to her. Sigh. He has never forgotten her.

September 7, 2013 @ 5:32 PM

Sean W

We bumped into her at a plaza in the early 90's in Buffalo and recognized her right away. She said she was on her way to the studio for a pledge drive and invited us to drop by and say hello. Did so about two hours later. Her staff gave us soft drinks and cookies and when the studio live part was over, she gave us a quick studio tour. It was quite big. She was very nice and easy to talk with. She was very kind. Thank you Goldie.

October 4, 2015 @ 5:23 AM

kelly chance

I MISS Goldie & I miss the GREAT Ch 17 Auction.... SO many memories of my Mommy watching with her :)... Goldie, wherever or whatever u are up 2.... Be Well.

April 11, 2016 @ 8:13 PM

Duncan McKenzie

I thought Goldie was lovely with her big eyes and blonde pixie hair. She seemed very sweet and genuine, which is rare on TV. I remember one documentary about elephants (where lots of elephants ended up dead) and she was crying real tears afterwards.

August 16, 2016 @ 3:58 PM

Bob Sprenger

Heya there..
Goldie was always my favorite at Channel 17...She always got me to pledge..

December 10, 2016 @ 7:30 PM

Anonymous

If EVERY household that watches PBS donated as little as $5 a month ($10 would be better) the WNED staff would probably not have to run the fund raisers so often. Truth is, lots of people in Ontario watch it but don't contribute. So stop moaning about the fundraisers...and.get your neighbours to contribute!

December 20, 2016 @ 10:17 PM

HankSr

I for one miss Mike and Goldie in those Channel 17 pledge drives. To me they were just as iconic as Irv Weinstein or Dave Thomas or Commander Tom. They are all legends.

March 17, 2017 @ 8:57 PM

cp

Really? You thought Goldie was terrible? Well, how do you like that station now? With all the drivel they show during their seemingly non-ending begathons and the back to back horrible shows. This station has gone way down hill. I met Goldie, more than once, and she was sweet, interested in whomever she was talking to. she was a breath of fresh air compared to the guys who demanded that you fork over money. Hope all you Canadians like the station now, as there seems to be more and more Canadian programming on it (back to back to back).

August 8, 2017 @ 7:51 PM

tom

a lot of prospects phoned and would pledge for a DATE with Goldie. True. Ch. 17 hottie.

March 4, 2018 @ 2:09 PM

Jael

Dear CP: What ignorant drivel you spout..years of declining revenues from Bush to Drumph has caused your so called “ drivel”. Unfortunately you would be the first to criticise public broadcasting here in Canada. CBC TVO .. home of objective journalism spared of commercial “DRIVEL”. The US needs PBS now more than ever to counteract ignorance and protect free speech.. think before you spew

March 10, 2019 @ 10:07 PM