Cito Gaston Returns!

JaysCito Gaston is back, baby!

Our Toronto Blue Jays have fired manager John Gibbons, coaches Marty Pevey, Ernie Whitt and Gary Denbo. Cito Gaston has returned as the manager for the remainder of the season. Nick Leyva will coach at third base and Gene Tenace returns as the hitting coach. It's 1993 all over again.

Something had to give, and I'm glad to see Cito back. He coached this team from 1989 through 1997 finishing with a .518 winning percentage guiding us to the post season four times and winning the World Series twice. Every Jays fan loved Cito, and I was happy to adopt his name when I became manager of my slo-pitch team.

That's right, I'm known as Cito when I manage both my comp team and my rec team. When I send the team emails, I sign them as Cito. The spirit of Cito has been alive twice a week for me the past two summers and now it's more than a feeling. It's 1993, baby, and all we're missing is Robbie, Devo, Joe, Dave, Molly and Johnny O.

Go Jays!

Jason | GetYourOJ.cmo

:O

please get some I AM CITO classics from humble!

June 20, 2008 @ 2:00 PM

Ajax Mike

And yet Riccardi is still around...

June 20, 2008 @ 2:07 PM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

I AM THE GREAT AND POWERFUL CITO! CITO DEMANDS HUMBLE CLASSIC!

June 20, 2008 @ 2:16 PM

Toronto Mike

Two quick notes now that this news has settled in.

1. Ain't it neat how the Jays are dominating sports talk in this city on the day the Leafs pick 7th in the draft.

2. This move is like a hail Mary pass from J.P. who knows it will be well received by those of us who live in 1993. The fact of the matter is that Cito manages best when he has all-stars on the field. None of us should expect a repeat of 1989.

Still, I'm happy to see Cito back.

June 20, 2008 @ 2:53 PM

Mike (Buffalo Boy)

Holy Shit. Im speechless. All this happened in the last 6 hours?

June 20, 2008 @ 3:12 PM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

You can be sure they will sell some nostalgia tix and get people pumped up in the short-term.

As for Toronto talk radio, I don't listen anymore.. maybe CBC

June 20, 2008 @ 3:19 PM

Toronto Mike

I wasn't even thinking about talk radio, I just mean chatter by the water cooler or whatever.

I've been getting calls from people, everyone has a smile on their face when they hear the news, people are talking about Cito.

p.s. Nostalgia rulez!

June 20, 2008 @ 3:25 PM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

Ahh, I took sports talk the wrong way. Yes, I am getting the same thing..

June 20, 2008 @ 3:41 PM

James Edgar

And the I AM CITO is where??

I AM WAITING!

June 20, 2008 @ 4:13 PM

Toronto Mike

Humble is on a plane - I just chatted with his wife.

I also wrote Fred but he might be trailering already.

Patience...

June 20, 2008 @ 4:38 PM

felix

Dude, this is awesome! What's Galen Cisco up to? Get him on a plane too!

And where's Bob Bailor?!Couldn't we get him back to coach first again?

June 20, 2008 @ 4:46 PM

Toronto Mike

Let's face it, we're missing the one essential ingredient for success in this city. We need The Gillick.

Get Pat Gillick over here, dump that Ricciardi bum and let's get this right again.

June 20, 2008 @ 6:35 PM

felix

You'll get no argument from me there, Gillick was the mastermind behind building this team into a powerhouse way back when. Maybe we can get Beeston back too, why not?

June 20, 2008 @ 7:53 PM

Toronto Mike

I just talked to Humble. He says the Cito bits were by a guy at 102.1 named Jamie Watson. Humble doesn't have the clips.

Our best bet of scoring this audio might be Jason Barr. Jason, if you're out there, we want our Cito!

June 20, 2008 @ 8:01 PM

Megan

Cito! Cito!! Wahoo! I wish Ernie didn't get canned. I dream of an all former player coaching staff. lol
This doesn't make me forget that JP needs to go! Oh man, I would love Pat Gillick back!
Welcome back Cito, welcome back!

June 21, 2008 @ 12:00 AM

jason | GetYourOJ.com

Unacceptable.

I always though they were HH

June 21, 2008 @ 12:34 PM

Richard J

I figured you would have commented on Cito's last home game in Toronto. He got quite the send off

September 30, 2010 @ 3:11 PM

Steve

It was a pretty nice ceremony from the sounds of it on radio. I wish I could have gone. I'm gonna miss that guy.

September 30, 2010 @ 3:46 PM