Bad As It Seems

LeafsLet's see. My name is Mike, I discovered the Toronto Maple Leafs in the very early 80s and by the time Wendel was leading us to a first round sweep of the Blackhawks in 1986, I was infatuated. I survived the Ballard years, was rewarded with a competitive team in the early 90s before living through another dip and a few more good years under Pat Quinn. I've been through a lot with this team over the past three decades.

I've seen some horrible teams, I remember finishing last in the Norris Division, I remember when Tom Fergus was our best player. I believe the worst is yet to come. I believe our 2008/2009 season is as bad as it seems. I think we're about to witness the worst Maple Leafs season in franchise history.

Let's assume Mats Sundin moves on and Cliff Fletcher continues to trim the fat. Everything is aligned to give us maximum ping pong balls in the John Tavares lottery. Our best centres will be Antropov and Stajan. That's all you need to know about this team. Nik freakin' Antropov and Matt flippin' Stajan. That, my friends, is a last place team.

And get this! I'm okay with sucking large for one more year. Having endured decades without playing in a cup final, I'm happy just knowing competitive seasons lie ahead, even if it means tasting pain in 2008/2009.

Fellow Leaf fans, it's as bad as it seems.

elvis

We've haven't hit rock bottom yet - we need to suck MORE.

June 26, 2008 @ 5:08 PM

Toronto Mike

It's coming my friend. I can feel it. Unless Tosky plays standing on his head, we're hitting rock bottom in 2009.

June 26, 2008 @ 5:09 PM

Irvine

Interesting to note that in the Star yesterday was a comment on the decline of Toronto as an economic centre.

Sees the city & the Leafs live in the same world. They've spent far too long admiring themselves in the mirror rather than working hard to improve.

The other thing I find a bit funny is how Cliff Fletcher returned. The Leafs have been notorious for acquiring older players mid season to "salvage" the year. Now it's not only older plays, but older GM's they add to the mix.

I have to admit I find it amusing that the Oilers will do better than the Leafs this year. Edmonton, a city of 1 million people, with nary a game on CBC HNIC & no money, yet they can outperform one of the richest hockey franchises in history.

June 26, 2008 @ 7:13 PM

A.R.

It should be noted that the Star article was about a report from the right wing Fraser institute.

There are some good points about it on this discussion forum:

June 27, 2008 @ 12:01 AM

anonymous

Re: SPortsnet rumour that CUJO & MR. ROBERTS returning to the LAFFS this year.
Think about it. Sundin gone - need a leader & no backup goalie (Raycroft & Clemmenson gone & POGGE not ready yet).
Yonge St. is a 1 way street leading in the wrong direction, no parade this year or in the next many.

June 27, 2008 @ 2:01 AM

felix

That first paragraph applies to me word for word. And yeah, it's gonna be a long year for our boys this season. I think it says something when we're all getting excited that the team is CUTTING players rather than the usual off-season, "Who are we gonna sign?" frenzy.

And all due respect to Mr. Fergus, but Daniel Marois might have been better for a season or two in there.

June 27, 2008 @ 12:44 PM

Rtyzbciv

good material thanks http://www.pyzam.com/profile/3318081 ">preteen lolitas bikinis 581

January 28, 2010 @ 4:49 PM

Rtyzbciv

January 28, 2010 @ 4:50 PM

Dmncbive

I'm happy very good site http://www.pyzam.com/profile/3318084 ">young lolita >:P

January 28, 2010 @ 8:11 PM