Red Hot Chili Peppers Signature Song

musicThere's something that hasn't settled well with me since I heard the Red Hot Chili Peppers were suing Showtime over the name "Californication". What I don't get is Red Hot Chili Peppers singer Anthony Kiedis saying "Californication" is the band's signature song.

"Californication" is a fine song, but does anyone actually consider it to be their signature song? I don't even think people think of it as that album's signature song. I think "Scar Tissue" is the signature song on Californication.

As for RHCP's signature song, most would agree it's "Under the Bridge". I'm not suggesting that's their best song, but I'm pretty sure it's their signature song.

What's Kiedis smoking? And why am I almost a month late with this rant?

Mike (Buffalo Boy)

Yeah, Under The Bridge, Give It Away, Anything off Mother's Milk could be a signature....Californication is a great song in the latter part of a dying band's career.

December 9, 2007 @ 4:36 PM

Toronto Mike

Don't get me wrong, Californication is a great John Frusciante come-back album, but nobody except Kiedis thinks the song "Californication" is their signature tune.

December 9, 2007 @ 4:40 PM

Jason | GetYouOJ.com

Yeah, you're just right this time. Their signature song came way early on in their career, Under The Bridge and Give It Away. I guess people don't like living in their own past, and an artist usually feels closer to the more recent work they have put out. That said, they have albums after that I I have no idea.

December 9, 2007 @ 7:16 PM

A.R.

Give it away is what I consider their signature. I'd like to also add that I did enjoy By the Way and their most recent release.

December 11, 2007 @ 2:08 PM

Howard

I heard a song today by the Red Hot Chili Peppers that had bagpipes in the song. Can you tell me the name of the song and if I can get it off Itunes or whereelse

April 2, 2008 @ 11:35 PM

Toronto Mike

Oh, you mean Scottish band The Red Hot Chilli Pipers!

April 3, 2008 @ 9:07 AM