My Ten Favourite TV Shows of 2007

tvTelevision got jealous of music after I posted my ten favourite songs of 2007 and demanded fair treatment. I didn't want any trouble and caved immediately.

Here are my ten favourite television shows in 2007. These are shows that aired new episodes during the 2007 calendar year, so shows like "Arrested Development" I revisited in DVD were ineligible.

10. Rescue Me

I watched this show for years until a series of weak episodes caused me to bail. Then, I caught a good episode and came back for the season finale which I thoroughly enjoyed. It was pretty much guaranteed to make this list because I only watched about 12 series all year.

9. Family Guy

Can I lump "Family Guy" in with "American Dad"? This show is good for shits and giggles, and that's not a bad thing.

8. Dexter

Season two of "Dexter" was pretty interesting. I don't know how long this series will go before it gets repetitive, but I hope it has at least two more seasons in it.

7. 30 Rock

I didn't watch a minute of this show during its first season and then I caught a rerun during the summer. I liked what I saw and came back for more. Now I'm a big fan.

6. The Simpsons

Me and the kids appointment view this show every Sunday night. I've been doing that for a couple of decades. You knew this was going to show up on this list somewhere.

5. The Office

"The Office" is my favourite network series. It's plain fun. I still can't believe the Yanks took a brilliant BBC show and made it better.

4. This American Life

There were only six episodes of this documentary series but each one touched me in a profound way. There is no series on television as thought provoking and interesting as this one.

3. Flight of the Conchords

Pure hilarity. It's not only completely hilarious, but the music is great too. Bonus!

2. The Sopranos

Fuggedaboutit. Tony: RIP.

1. Curb Your Enthusiasm

There was something about the dynamic of this season that slayed me. Larry and the Blacks was a perfect blend and Leon stole the show. Get in that ass, Larry!

Lori

Just wondering--do your children watch Family Guy with you?

December 30, 2007 @ 9:20 PM

Toronto Mike

It's a little too raunchy for the kids. Family Guy comes on at 9 and they both hit the hay at 8:30.

I consider The Simpsons an all-ages family show and Family Guy a big boy show.

December 30, 2007 @ 9:23 PM

Roger

I bow to you list master.

Merry Listmas!

December 30, 2007 @ 9:39 PM

Michelle

If you like the This American Life documentaries you should listen to their podcasts, they're always amazing.

December 31, 2007 @ 12:00 AM

Jason | GetYouOJ.com

I have heard 6 out of 10. Pretty good for a guy that doesn't watch TV other than for House and The Simpsons (and other sitcom cartoons)

December 31, 2007 @ 10:42 AM

Lori

My thoughts are the show is too raunchy for kids to but i teach Kindergarten and over half of my class is watching this....and we wonder why the kids act the way the do?

December 31, 2007 @ 11:17 AM

Toronto Mike

Lori, all you need to do is listen to Quagmire and you'll quickly realize Family Guy isn't for kindergarten kids. I think some parents see it's a cartoon and assume it's okay. That's a big mistake.

Family Guy is not The Simpsons. It's ruder, cruder and pretty damn offensive. That's what I like about it and that's why I won't watch it with James.

December 31, 2007 @ 1:04 PM

Argie

No Corner Gas or Little Mosque On The Prairie on your list? Canada really is third rate.

December 31, 2007 @ 1:22 PM

Toronto Mike

Corner Gas is an okay show, but I never feel compelled to ensure I watch it. If I stumble upon a rerun at the right time I'll watch it and chuckle here and there.

I've never seen Little Mosque on the Prairie.

We do a lot of things really well here in Canada, but I'm not sure producing sitcoms and dramas is our strong suit, Degrassi aside. "Kids in the Hall", on the other hand, is still one of my all-time favourites.

December 31, 2007 @ 1:26 PM

Toronto Mike

And Michelle, I check out the free This American Life podcast from time to time at http://www.thislife.org/Radio_Archive.aspx and it's always excellent.

December 31, 2007 @ 1:27 PM

Andrew

I like your list, for the most part. I think the Sopranos was overrated this season. It used to be a very good show and I think David Chase lost his way. There was a very little arc to the season and nothing really happened. I also think that the show should have shown consequences for Tony. Chase had once said the the end of the show would have to result in Tony's death or imprisonment. There is no other way out. With the exception of Carlo Gambino, no Mob boss has ever retired.

And now for my plug, watch the Wire's final season starting this Sunday!

December 31, 2007 @ 1:32 PM

Toronto Mike

I hear awesome things about The Wire. At one point someone will have to lend me the seasons on DVD so I can check it out from the beginning. I sense I'd love it.

As for The Sopranos finale, I've decided Tony did die: http://www.torontomike.com/2007/06/one_hell_of_a_journey.html

December 31, 2007 @ 1:39 PM

Andrew

If Tony did die, then who ordered it and why?

I am still unsatisfied with the ending and for that matter the final season. But no matter, it was still better than most shows on TV.

Yes, I think you would love The Wire. If you're looking for characters and story then watch it. It is not your normal cop show. It is about as real as TV gets.

December 31, 2007 @ 2:55 PM

The_Voice

The Office, Flight of the Conchords (darn you for getting me hooked!), and Curb were FANTASTIC this year.

January 9, 2008 @ 5:48 PM