Mats, We Love You, Now Go!

leafsMats, we need to talk. It's about us. We've been close for over a decade, you're our star and we love you, and it's because I love you that I want you to get out. Go! Jump on the QEW and head West young man.

I know Nik Lidstrom and other Swedish members of the Detroit Red Wings have been in contact with you. I know they want you to join the Red Wings at the trade deadline. I know everything, and it's okay.

I want you to win the cup. You deserve it. You're a team player, loyal to a fault and highly skilled. You're not going to win the Stanley Cup here in Toronto, but you might in Detroit. You'd be a perfect fit there.

I've never cheered for the Red Wings, but if you go there I'll root for them to win it all. Mats, we love you, now go!

anonymous

WHAT?

December 10, 2007 @ 2:24 PM

Al

Mats, I appreciate you more than Mike does. I know this because I know that Detroit is not where you must go in order to win that cup. I know that you must go to Ottawa if you're to have the best chance at the holy grail. I appreciate you more than Mike because I'm willing to see you go to Ottawa and I'll actually cheer for Ottawa to win the cup this year, just to see you get the ring you so well deserve. I know I appreciate you more than Mike because I know Mike would rather see you NOT win a cup than to see Ottawa win one.

December 10, 2007 @ 2:30 PM

Toronto Mike

Mats, don't listen to Al. I happen to believe you'd have a better chance of winning the cup in Detroit than in Ottawa. I also happen to know your countrymen are trying to pull you to Detroit.

December 10, 2007 @ 2:36 PM

Al

"Mats, I've cheered you on since '94 and I want what's best for you. Go to Detroit. We'll still love you."

That's right Mats, he wants what's best for you as long as it isn't what's best for the Sens. ;P

December 10, 2007 @ 3:29 PM

Toronto Mike

Mats, unlike Al, I want what's best for you. I know you won't be happy in Ottawa, home of our arch rivals. I know it would be uncomfortable for you to be a Senator.

For your sake, I hope you become a Red Wing. I hope you're selfless enough to realize that we're happy when you're happy.

Mats, it's time to go... We'll never forget you.

December 10, 2007 @ 3:53 PM

Donny

Mats take McCabe with you!!!

December 10, 2007 @ 4:23 PM

The Toronto Traveler

Mats, listen to Mike! Ottawa always manages to find a way to screw it up; they just do it a little later than Toronto. Detroit's the place to go to have a great time and have a shot at winning the cup.

December 10, 2007 @ 11:30 PM

Al

Mat's Ottawa has shown that they're a Stanley Cup Final team. With you, they will be a Stanley Cup winning team. Your buddy Alfie is there and you two will tear it up! Detroit is too old and will falter later in the season. These guys say their looking out for you, but their just looking out for their beloved Leafs.

P.S. PLEASE take McCabe with you.

December 11, 2007 @ 10:05 AM

Roshan

We (the Sens) don't want Mats. Lol, you guys are really going at it!

December 11, 2007 @ 12:08 PM

Toronto Mike

Why the heck wouldn't you want Mats? He's having one hell of a year, he's great in the dressing room, he'll happily take a back seat for the betterment of his team and he's a skilled veteran.

You'd be crazy not to want him, but you can't have him anyway. You can have McCabe, though...

December 11, 2007 @ 1:00 PM

felix

Okay, if it comes down to it (and I doubt he'll ask to be traded) I could stomach Mats going to the Oilers or the Flames... Canucks, I guess... but Montreal and especially Ottawa, I just couldn't handle. I admit it, I rooted for Calgary and Edmonton when they made the finals... but against Ottawa, I'm sorry if that makes me a bad person, but I just can't stand them.

December 13, 2007 @ 1:38 AM

Al

Mats, I've changed my mind. If Roshan is any reflection of a typical Sens fan, then they don't deserve to have you. They don't deserve to win.

December 13, 2007 @ 8:50 AM

Toronto Mike

Felix, I feel the same way. I can get behind the Oilers and Flames, but I root heavily against the Sens. When the Ducks beat 'em, it felt very, very good.

The Sens are unlikable.