Benefit Concert Fatigue

earthI was just reminded that Live Earth is taking place this weekend. I'm just not feeling it. I think I'm suffering from benefit concert fatigue.

After 9/11 there were a few big benefit concerts, then we had SARSstock, the tsunami, and then Live 8 which was sort of a Live Aid redux. I was down with Live 8 because I dug the line up. Neil Young, Our Lady Peace, The Hip, Gordon Lightfoot, BNL, it was fantastic. Just this past weekend I think they had a benefit concert for Princess Di, but I totally missed every second of it.

Al Gore says Live Earth is to mark "the beginning of a three year campaign worldwide to deliver information about how we solve the climate crisis". I'm totally down with the cause. In fact, I've been making fundamental changes in the way I live my life just to please Mother Earth. I dig the planet, I just don't care about the concerts.

Reviewing the confirmed performers, I'm not overly impressed. I see the Beastie Boys and Foo Fighers are in London, but so is Madonna and the Pussycat Dolls. I'll pass, thanks.

I'm all benefit concerted out and I don't need the Black Eyed Peas to remind me we're poisoning the planet.

Fred

Check this US Carbon Footprint Map out, has United States Interactive Carbon Footprint Map, illustrating Greenest States. This site has all sorts of stats on individual State energy consumptions, demographics and State energy offices.

July 6, 2007 @ 10:19 PM

dale

The future is YOUR & OUR kids. I care & have for a long time. RECYCLE/RECYCE/RECYCLE.
Recycling stuff - its always tomorrow & I will do the best I can. There is NO tomorrow. Look upon the future when your kids are our age. I can't beleive your editorial towards this problem.

July 6, 2007 @ 11:33 PM

dale

It's too bad you don't care about your kids future with what has been happening with with our earth the last few years. TOO HOT in summer & the global warming factor as well. Paper will become a commidity in the next few years as trees have come scarce & the Ozone layer is getting larger.
Bands are trying to save this planet the best way they can (playing music for free).
Time for SUPPORT.

July 6, 2007 @ 11:52 PM

Mike H

Erm...Dale? The Ozone layer getting larger is a GOOD thing, and has nothing to do with the lack of trees.

I'm all for being passionate about something, but try to at least know what you're talking about.

July 7, 2007 @ 9:07 AM

chris

I've never witnessed a performance like Madonna did today at live earth. I don't like her music but her overall she is GREAT performer.

July 7, 2007 @ 5:34 PM

Al

Dale, I think Mike's comments were more about the concert than the cause.

July 9, 2007 @ 11:16 AM

A.R.

So many people have already forgotten about Live8, and poverty hasn't exactly disappeared.

July 9, 2007 @ 5:08 PM