I use the word "cool" a lot. I always have. I even have James using it. As it turns out, "cool" is a rarity in the world of slang. It "remains the gold standard of slang in the 21st century, as reliable as a blue-chip stock, surviving like few expressions ever in our constantly evolving language. It has, despite the pressures of staying relevant and trendy, kept its cool through the centuries -- even as its meaning changed drastically."
The article also lists slang terms that haven't held up. Below is their list and whether I still use the term occasionally or not.
- Groovy - I only use this one when I'm intentionally trying to sound out of touch
- Neat/neato - I do use these once in a while
- Hip - I use this one all the time
- Slick - I use this one all the time
- Keen - I don't really say this
- Chill - I must confess to saying "chill" almost daily
- Excellent - I still use this... is it really slang?
- Heavy - I use this term once in a while
- NOT - I never said this
- Outta sight - I don't say this
- Far out - I don't say this
- Top drawer - I never said this
- Buttah - I never said this
- Dynamite - I rarely say this, unless I'm quoting "Pass The Mic"
- Phat - I never said this
- Off the hook - I never said this
- Sweet - I say this pretty regularly
- Radical - I still say this quite often
- Gag me with a spoon - I never said this
- Super - I say this once in a while
- Gnarly - I say this but when I say it I'm well aware it's no longer copasetic
- The cat's pajamas - I never said this
- Def - I don't think I ever said this
- Copasetic - The only time I ever used this expression was three lines above
- Trip - I rarely use this one
- Fab - I never said this
- Da bomb - I said this in an ironic fashion
- Rad - Is "rad" different than "radical"? I admit to using it
- Beat - I don't use this
- Classy - I don't use this
- Wack - Only Kriss Kross used this one, I think
- Square - I don't use it, but I think I'll start
- With it - Once in a while, I'll throw down this expression
- Burnout - Nah...
- Right on - Occasionally I'll use this one
- The fuzz - I prefer "pigs"
- Copper - I never said this
- Nifty - I rarely said this
- Out of this world - I never said this
Admit it, this entry was the cat's pajamas.
No comments? C'mon, we can do better... Leave a comment above and let's start this conversation!