Top 20 Sitcoms

TVNo sooner did I post a blog entry on crappy sitcoms (see September 30, 2003 / 15:20 EST) than I came across the Radio Times Guide to TV Comedy's list of the best 20 sitcoms of all time. Now the Radio Times Guide to TV Comedy is a British publication, so 11 of their top 20 are United Kingdom productions. Three of my favourite shows of all time cracked their list (The Simpsons, Seinfeld and The Larry Sanders Show) with The Phil Silvers Show taking the top spot. I see where they're coming from, but I can't say I agree.

Here's the entire list: 1. The Phil Silvers Show (US), 2. Seinfield (US), 3. Fawlty Towers (UK), 4. Porridge (UK), 5. Yes Minister (UK), 6. Frasier (US), 7. M*A*S*H (US), 8. 'Till Death Us Do Part (UK), 9. Hancock's Half-Hour/Hancock (UK), 10. Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads? (UK), 11. The Larry Sanders Show (US), 12. The Mary Tyler Moore Show (US), 13. The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin (UK), 14. The Good Life (UK), 15. Steptoe and Son (UK), 16. Only Fools and Horses (UK), 17. Cheers (US), 18. The Dick Van Dyke Show (US), 19. Dad's Army (UK), 20. The Simpsons (US)

Watch The Mighty Boosh Online

This entry was really interesting, how often do you update your blog? I've bookmarked this site and gave you guys a tweet, hope to read more soon!

January 9, 2010 @ 2:36 PM

The Voice of Reason

Sadly, ABC has cancelled "Last Man Standing".

May 17, 2017 @ 6:46 PM

The Voice of Reason

Sadly, ABC has cancelled "Last Man Standing".

May 17, 2017 @ 6:46 PM

Rob J

I'm intrigued that ABC is bringing back "Roseanne" for 8 episodes in 2018 with much of the original cast. (even John Goodman, though his character was killed off in the original run).
Pretty ground-breaking show featuring a white-working class family suffering through the lack of trickle-down dollars of Reaganomics.

May 17, 2017 @ 6:56 PM

The Voice of Reason

@Rob

Was not a fan of Roseanne, but how do they bring a main character back from the grave?

May 17, 2017 @ 7:12 PM

Rob J

Remember the soap "Dallas"? They brought back Bobby Ewing after he was killed on-screen by a car. The season he was absent turned into a dream by his wife!

"Roseanne" actually had 2 actresses playing the same character at different times and made meta jokes about it in the episodes, which was a new idea instead of pretending it was the same actress. The series really brought the laughs along with social commentary. It even was the #1 show in the US in its 2nd season. (1988-89)
I'm sure Goodman's character (Roseanne's husband) will be brought back in an ingenious manner!

May 17, 2017 @ 7:43 PM

If I remember correctly, Roseanne was a writer and wrote about winning the lottery after Dan's heart attack.

I'm sure in the reboot she can say she lied about Dan's heart attack for whatever reason, or they can tear down the fourth wall like they did with the Becky's and just say "Dan's alive! Surprise!".

Great show, especially the early seasons.

May 17, 2017 @ 7:55 PM

Rob J

Loved it, but yeah it did falter with age...imagine a sitcom getting 23 million viewers in today's TV environment!

May 17, 2017 @ 7:59 PM

The Voice of Reason

Rob, I like your line of thinking. I would be impressed if they pulled off a Newhart ending scene but only at the end of an episode where she was going crazy with her lottery wins.

May 17, 2017 @ 8:18 PM

@Rob J

Imagine that the Seinfeld finale got 76.3 million Americans tuning in. Never again!

May 17, 2017 @ 8:19 PM

Rob J

19 years since the finale and we can still reference lines from the series that most people will get. Incredible cultural touchstone.

TVOR, man Newhart was an incredible series in its own right with the most memorable finale of all time. I'm not surprised that its executive producer went on to show-run some of my favourite "Simpsons" episodes.

May 17, 2017 @ 8:29 PM