Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 454: Jerry Howarth

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 454In this 454th episode, Mike chats with the voice of summers past, Jerry Howarth, about his life and Blue Jays baseball. This episode is exactly 1:25:37.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Jerry Howarth and Me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Palma Pasta, Fast Time Watch & Jewellery Repair, Property in the 6ix, StickerYou and Camp Tournesol.

Palma Pasta   glb   Camp Tournesol
Fast Time Watch & Jewellery Repair   StickerYou   propertyinthesix

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Jody Thornton

Uh Oh - I think Jerry's about to ham out "Living Inside Myself", ....er, judging by the description

April 22, 2019 @ 12:33 PM

Jody Thornton

@Mike:

All in Fun! :p

April 22, 2019 @ 1:03 PM

Urooj Islam

Gerry Howarth was definitely a better rapper than Tom Cheek.

April 22, 2019 @ 1:48 PM

Urooj Islam

Cool to see that Jerry even did the audio version of his own book so you know his publisher was behind it fully. Usually niche Canadian books like this usually don't get audiobook versions or at least not right away.

My curiosity is piqued so I will check out the audiobook or the hardcover if I can find an autographed version in the wild.

April 22, 2019 @ 4:36 PM

Cambo

Oh man...Jerry. What a legend.

So if you got him, how about Buck?!

April 23, 2019 @ 10:00 AM

jj

Ben Wagner rambles on too much, he sometimes even talks through pitches. Wilner......well, Wilner is just Wilner. Miss Gerry's soothing voice and play by play.

What would Gerry think about of all this analytics. ie bat swing speed, exit velocity, angle launch etc.
on the radio broadcasts? Wilner always brings this info up. Its ruining the call of the game.

April 23, 2019 @ 11:08 AM

Cambo

@jj

Agreed. I enjoy listening to Buck and Pat- but sometimes the stats are just far too much; and completely useless to the audience- they don't care. I figure it has something to do with filling time. Most of the players themselves couldn't give a crap about the stats.

"Justin Smoak, did you know your launch angle of that last jack was 23 degrees, and had an exit velocity of 125mph. That translates into a super-ass swing speed, how does that affect your confidence going into tomorrow's game...?"

Smoak: "uh...wha? I hit a dinger- we won. It's a team win and that's all that matters."

April 23, 2019 @ 1:51 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Very tight and informative episode, and a nice audio counterpart to Mr. Howard's recent fantastic
book. Plus, his thoughtful answer to my question was fantastic. Good stuff!!

April 23, 2019 @ 1:54 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Sorry, massive brainfart above: "MR. HOWARTH"!!!

April 23, 2019 @ 1:56 PM

Beatts

Great episode! Getting a chance to listen to more now that I'm on the road a lot.

April 24, 2019 @ 10:39 AM

I'm not sure I can do any better than this one. I might have to shut it down.

April 24, 2019 @ 11:58 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Sure do hope you're joking, especially 'cause there are still so many great guests for you to feature!!
Maybe the almighty Michael Williams will eventually give in and make a long overdue appearance?!?

April 24, 2019 @ 12:02 PM

Cambo

@TM

Does this mean you're giving us the proverbial "(Toronto)Mike Drop"?

Just get Buck on...then you can call it a day... :)

April 24, 2019 @ 2:47 PM

Andrew Sheehy

Joe Bowen, Gord Miller, Chris Cuthbert, Jim Hughson, Ray Ferraro, and Jim Ralph need to appear on this Podcast in the future.

April 24, 2019 @ 3:05 PM

@Andrew Sheehy

Agreed!

April 24, 2019 @ 3:12 PM

@Cambo

Fun fact: Buck's son was at the same primary school as me for a couple of years in the 80s.

April 24, 2019 @ 3:13 PM

Al The Royal Pain

This is one of my favourite episodes! Top 5 for sure. So good.

April 25, 2019 @ 10:50 AM

NW

Thoroughly enjoyed Jerry Howarth.

It's too bad you don't have a Toronto Mike Wayback Machine so that you could get Tom Cheek to join you.

April 27, 2019 @ 8:10 PM

@NW

Tom Cheek, Brian Linehan, Martin Streek, Mark Dailey... just a few I'd love to have on the podcast.

April 27, 2019 @ 8:57 PM