Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 446: Marc Weisblott from 12:36

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 446In this 446th episode, Mike chats with Marc Weisblott from 12:36 about the current state of media in Canada and what you oughta know. This episode is exactly 2:34:32.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Marc Weisblott and me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Palma Pasta, Fast Time Watch & Jewellery Repair, Property in the 6ix, Paytm Canada and BUKL. Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Palma Pasta   glb   Fast Time Watch & Jewellery Repair

propertyinthesix   BUKL   paytm

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

markosaar

Damn it Mike, how am I supposed to catch up on my backlogs this week???

March 28, 2019 @ 7:09 PM

Jody Thornton

Yes Sir! :)

March 28, 2019 @ 7:11 PM

If you put a gun to my head and told me to edit out the waste, I'd be dead by n

March 28, 2019 @ 7:13 PM

Jody Thornton

@Mike:

LOL! I'll be listening this weekend.

March 28, 2019 @ 7:25 PM

@1236

a correction from early on: Corrado’s Barber Shop is (or was) Queen & Bathurst not College & Bathurst

March 28, 2019 @ 7:31 PM

@1236

... and it was Jack Tunney who ran WWF in Canada not “Frank”

but outside of later calling a man’s wife a “husband” on first reference, not bad this time two beers in!

March 28, 2019 @ 7:35 PM

Urooj Islam

@Toronto Mike

I also have trouble hearing "Tenderness" without Jay-Z's "Can I Get A..." verse over the beat.

Those Girl Talk albums are phenomenal. Too bad he doesn't do them anymore.

March 28, 2019 @ 8:48 PM

Urooj Islam

@1236

Thanks for sharing Chair Girl's Instagram.

I will make sure to follow her...for research purposes...and to make sure she's not committing any more crimes.

Yeah, that's it.

March 28, 2019 @ 11:17 PM

@1236

C.G. went back to private Instagram — see if following gets you approved? or maybe the lawyer stepped in

another little error in the pod: she wasn’t fined $2,000, that was the bail amount … her case back in court April 26

March 29, 2019 @ 12:20 AM

bsmntdwllr73

#1. Time to secure a sponsorship from a legit funeral home business just for use in the "IN
MEMORIAM" section, or at least use Elton John's "Funeral For A Friend" as introductory bumper
music. May I perhaps suggest the likes of Benjamin's or Steeles Memorial (sorry, but as a person
of Jewish origin, those are the only two currently on my immediate radar).

#2. I might not have heard things correctly, but I'm pretty sure that NKOTB have played in this city
a handful of times since that fateful concert back in April of 1994. Not a fan or an archivist for that
particular band by any stretch of the imagination, but I still have a warm spot in my heart (& ears)
for their very Beatles-flavoured middle period, especially tracks like "Tonight" (1990).

#3. Undoubtedly one of the best parts of this episode was that oh-too-brief snippet of The Walker
Brothers' "Hurting Each Other." Another great version of that track was recorded by Johnette
Napolitano and Marc Moreland on the "If I Were a Carpenter" Carpenters tribute album.

#4. New possible suggestion for the unofficial Toronto Mike'd Bingo Card: A square reserved
for the inevitable and brief conversation revolving around that long-gestating/rumored 12:36 podcast. Quite possible that the Leafs will win their first Stanley Cup in over 50 years before
its first episode drops! And still I will wait with breathless anticipation...

March 29, 2019 @ 10:36 AM

@1236

might’ve been less than clear on what that perverse anniversary is: 25th anniversary of when the NKOTB played at the tiny Palladium club on the Danforth, where way more fans showed up than expected to buy tickets at the door, hence the mob scene on the street … the last Toronto concert of their original run, the day Kurt Cobain died …

March 29, 2019 @ 12:45 PM

Urooj Islam

@bsmntdwllr73

If we're going to add anything to the Toronto Mike Bingo Card specifically for the 12:36 episodes, it would definitely have to be the running joke/meme about Jamar McNeil's mystery baby.

March 29, 2019 @ 12:56 PM

@1236

based on radio comments the day after, the mother of this child has moved here, with the child — and they plan to get married …

… but I don’t expect to get a proper explanation until Jamar finally returns to the house of Mike

March 29, 2019 @ 1:59 PM

Urooj Islam

This is my favourite 12:36 episode picture, it looks like he is about to take Toronto Mike out on his yacht on Lake Ontario or something.

March 30, 2019 @ 2:50 PM

Lou Schizas

The ROM Crystal - looked like cheap aluminium siding from the day it was installed - from my sources the entire reno was a bust. As a member of a number of museums I am always amazed how their boards get bamboozled into building projects. I go there for the art - not the building.

March 30, 2019 @ 10:29 PM

markosaar

I'm quite fond of the Aga Khan Museum's building and landscaping. Hell, the AGO reno was pretty great too. The thing that killed me especially about the ROM Crystal is how crappy and unusable the interior space is.

April 1, 2019 @ 11:38 AM

Urooj Islam

So, Toronto Mike and his brother have been running a Death Pool for 15+ years, no wonder he is so obsessed with celebrity deaths.

Suddenly, the sheer volume of celebrity death memorial posts over this blog's history make sense.

April 1, 2019 @ 1:00 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Fun fact: That final Dirty Harry flick "The Dead Pool" (1988) featured both Jim Carrey and Guns N' Roses in very early on-screen appearances. Personally, I can't get enough of the endless death
memorial posts both on the blog and as a very important part of every 12:36 appearance. Great
stuff, especially when you consider that many of those featured don't necessarily get their timely
due from many corner of the mainstream media at their intitial time of passing. "Vampire Beavers",
as written and performed by the recently-deceased Joe Hall is most definitely a song well-worth
playing no matter the (sombre) occasion.

April 1, 2019 @ 3:26 PM

@Urooj Islam

I'm not obsessed with celebrity deaths.

April 1, 2019 @ 6:12 PM

Urooj Islam

@Toronto Mike

My mistake, I worded that really poorly.

What I should have said was that you have another reason to keep up to date with celebrity deaths rather than just general pop culture knowledge.

April 1, 2019 @ 7:16 PM