Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 445: Keegan Matheson and Julia Kreuz from Baseball Toronto

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 445In this 445th episode, Mike chats with Baseball Toronto's Keegan Matheson and Julia Kreuz about the 2019 Toronto Blue Jays baseball club. This episode is exactly 2:05:31.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Keegan Matheson, Julia Kreuz and me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Palma Pasta, Fast Time Watch & Jewellery Repair, Property in the 6ix, BUKL and Camp Tournesol.

Palma Pasta   glb   Camp Tournesol
Fast Time Watch & Jewellery Repair   BUKL   propertyinthesix

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Urooj Islam

I just got to the part of the preview mentioning Kendrys Morales....and he's gone.

I love the aggressiveness of this rebuild.

March 27, 2019 @ 8:06 PM

@Urooj Islam

This episode became out of date very quickly.

March 27, 2019 @ 8:28 PM

Urooj Islam

@Toronto Mike

That's a good thing. I don't know what you think about their approach to the rebuild, but I am loving this.

By the way, fantastic episode. Keegan was so good. I felt bad for Julia having to sit there for two hours but you did a decent job of mixing her in on occasion. It's tough when someone who you are not expecting shows up.

March 27, 2019 @ 8:32 PM

Brian Gerstein (Raptors Devotee)

Don't give Keegan any ideas! He may come back right away to grab some more GLB and Palma Pasta!

March 27, 2019 @ 8:33 PM

@Urooj Islam

If I get my way, Keegan will come back on the day before every opening day and we'll just keep doing this. I personally needed this just so I can keep up with Hebsy!

March 27, 2019 @ 8:34 PM

twins from Bolton

I was offered free tiks for tomorrow Opening day & declined. I love Baseball but rather stay home have a cold one & watch on TV.
Leafs tonight were terrible even though with 1 pt.- I have NOTHING to say other than out in 4 straight against the Bruins.
Brewskies are cold in the fridge waiting for the opener.

March 27, 2019 @ 10:16 PM

Brian Gerstein (Raptors Devotee)

Canadian tennis is on absolute fire! Felix at 18 years old made the semi-finals of the Masters 1000 in Miami last night beating Coric and looking dominant in doing so during the 2nd set. I am only mentioning this because his best friend, Denis Shapovalov, plays Tiafoe this afternoon at 3:00 p.m. hoping to join him, so going against the Jays opener. I already let Dan Shulman know where my allegiances fall, but will check out opening day on commercial breaks. FYI Mike spoke for over 20 minutes on Hebsy on Sports Monday about tennis, and it flew by, they could have gone an hour, between Bianca's success thrown in as well. I am going to make a fearless prediction that tennis is going to capture the mindset of mainstream Canadians once these teenagers start to make serious noise in the Majors, which is coming. Throw in Milos, who is recovering from a lower back injury, skipping Monaco, but still a threat, and you have the strongest country overall in the world now ready to compete. While the Jays focus will be on development, and the fans will come to the Skydome for the game itself and to check out certain teams and their stars, Canadian tennis players will be slashed all over the world. I have a friend coming in from Montreal, so will be seeing Arizona on Friday, June 7th, and am looking forward to seeing baseball regardless, and hope to see Vlad Jr. playing and possibly Bo by then, but we will see.

March 28, 2019 @ 8:06 AM

Austin

I needed this.. I'm so lost with this team! But really, that was an excellent primer and now I'm ready. 😊😊😊 ⚾⚾⚾

March 28, 2019 @ 8:53 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Very eagerly awaiting the Toronto Mike'd All-Killer Beards Panel, most obviously to be headlined by
the likes of Elvis and Mr. Matheson amongst others! And you should definitely stop SHAVING
immediately so that you will not feel LEFT OUT!! Also, pretty sure that you might have referred
to Laura Armstrong as Laura Anderson between the 1:03 and 1:05 mark, although it is also
greatly possible that these are two separate local sports media personalities. Aside from
your blog/podcast, my only other exposure to sports is through too-infrequent glances at
Steve Simmons timeless Sunday Sun column. P.S., feelin' kinda sad to hear that the Dalton
Pompey Experiment (Great name for a bitchin' prog rock combo, BTW!!) might be coming to
an unfortunate conclusion. Been waiting almost three years for some kind of Pompey father-son-other ball playin' son appearance on the podcast, so hopefully you will miraculously still find
some way to make that happen. I'll keep silently singin' that far superior Mike & The Mechanics
track to myself until that fateful day occurs...

March 28, 2019 @ 1:37 PM

@bsmntdwllr73

Elvis visits tomorrow... we'll see if he's bearless or not. I honestly have no idea!

March 28, 2019 @ 1:45 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Even if he shows up sans his spellbinding beard. I truly have know doubt that he would be
able to grow it back quite quickly. Sadly only my very unruly back hair grows in at such an
impressive/intrusive rate (TMI!!). P.S., is Jerry Howarth still scheduled for a visit? I've got less than a
week left to read his book, as a renewal isn't possible due to a heavy request load at TPL.

March 28, 2019 @ 1:50 PM

As far as I know, Jerry's still visiting.

Here's his last message to me:

"Hi, Mike...the engineer at CBC sent me 3:30 of something I had forgotten all about "Do It again, Blue Jays"...that was you who put that together wasn't it? It was so good to hear again all these years later and so well done by you I am assuming...very nice...so I think now we can look ahead and set up a time for me to be with you on Toronto Mike'd."

March 28, 2019 @ 1:52 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Good to hear. Real shame that Tom Cheek passed away before he could also pay your stately basement a visit. Nearly twenty years ago, long before his unfortunate illness, the broadcasting legend and his wife, Shirley, turned up at the walk-in medical clinic in the Atrium at Baby when I was sitting there with my father. Let's just say that his behaviour on that day would have been a lot less
shocking coming from a jonesing rock star or the like. And no, his rather heated, repeated requests
for some Demerol weren't granted. Not sure if Dr. Ron Taylor was still working with the Jays
at that point, but perhaps he should have started there first?!? Remember, kids, drugs be wack!!

March 28, 2019 @ 2:00 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Sorry, should have read "Atrium and Bay" at the end of the third line, above.

March 28, 2019 @ 2:02 PM

Barry

Keegan is one of the best baseball writers in Canada. I started subscribing to Baseball Toronto as soon as it started up. He and John Lott are my must-read writers.

Keegan knows the game well on multiple levels and doesn't rely on stats, though he's well-versed in stats, too. He's also one of the more balanced writers out there. He's not going to trash the team for the sake of trashing them, but he's also not going to pump their tires.

March 28, 2019 @ 3:47 PM