Much Music Down to One Hour of Videos

Much Music is down to one single hour of videos during weekdays. Previously, they were still playing seven hours of videos weekdays from 6am to 1pm. This new schedule as the videos being played for an hour at noon.

I'll be the first to admit this change won't affect me in the least. An avid watcher of Much Music in the 80s and 90s, I haven't tuned in for more than a Simpsons episode or two in many years. In fact, I was surprised to learn they were still airing seven hours of videos. Bell Media, owners of Much, say their block of videos attracted less than 4000 viewers a day. That's a paltry figure.

Without a doubt, the Internet killed the Much Music video star. But Much isn't its first victim! Here's a quick list of stuff I used to consume regularly but have abandoned because the Internet made it obsolete.

Encyclopedias
I wrote many essays in high school and university, and at some point in the process, I'd reach for an encyclopedia. Often this involved a trip to the library and a photocopy machine. It was quite the endeavour, and it's been completely replaced by the Internet.

Map Books
I owned a GTA map book for driving (that I paid real money for!), and free foldable TTC and Toronto cycling maps. Although I still have that old GTA map book in the trunk of my '99 Mazda (where it's been for twenty years), I haven't had to look at a paper map in this country in many, many years. Blame the Internet!

Video Stores
I loved my local video store. The owner, who shortly thereafter was arrested for selling drugs, tipped me off that I might like this movie Reservoir Dogs by this new director I'd never heard of. So many of the movies I watched were recommended to me by the video store guy, and I watched a lot of movies in the 80s and 90s. Although there are still a few video stores around, I haven't set foot in one since... I can't remember when!

Personal Snail Mail
Do you remember writing (or typing) a letter, folding it up, putting it in an envelope, affixing a stamp and dropping it in a mailbox? This was a regular event. I'm not referring to business correspondence or any sort of administrative duties, I'm talking about a letter to a friend or family member. The Internet has killed this practice.

35mm Film Development
I used to own a single-purpose film camera. Listen up kids, because every word I type here is fact. I'd buy film, either 24 or 35 exposures, I'd carefully put it in the camera, and then I'd selectively take pictures until the film was used up. Did someone blink? Was it blurry? It all remained a mystery until I took the film into the drug store or grocery store and waited for it to be developed. Then, I'd come back days later, pay some more money, and get my photos. It's not so much the Internet that killed this ritual, but digital cameras. The Internet just killed the physical photo album.

Record Stores
On a Saturday morning, I loved heading downtown on the subway to check out the records stores near Yonge and Dundas. Sam the Record Man, A&A Records, HMV... you'd walk in and get lost (with apologies to Honest Ed) and it was the best. At different points in my life I bought cassette tapes, 45 vinyl singles, and then CDs. Some of my fondest memories are getting an anticipated release on day one. In Utero, Vs., and the Use Your Illusions to name a few. When I went to U of T and lived downtown, I'd do this daily. Those days, sadly, are long gone.

Lining Up for Concert Tickets
We used to collect at a TicketMaster location to buy concert tickets. You were sure to get their really early to ensure you got your tickets. At some point, they had a wristband policy and you would go there days earlier to get your wristband and then collect at the TicketMaster location at 10am on a Saturday (or whenever) for the lottery. At some point, the Internet killed this, for better or worse.

I could go on... mobile phones themselves eliminated the need for payphones, having to call a landline shared by an entire family, leaving your house and being unreachable for several hours... but that's an entry of its own.

I'd close by lamenting the loss of videos on Much, but truth be known it was lost long ago. To Youtube I go for an eternal playlist of every video I ever loved. Catch you later.

bsmntdwllr73

Just shameful, regardless of the omnipotent availability of Youtube, Vevo and other video on demand
sites. Personally, I really didn't come alive until the late summer of 1984 and the historic emergence
of MuchMusic. Then again, considering the piss-poor state of the channel over the past twenty years
or so, not really a big loss. Haven't seen the channel in years, but my already nearly-blind eyes
can only take so much of the not-for-me likes of Ariana Grande, Cardi B, and all the other pop/hip hop
'talents' du jour. R.I.P.

March 10, 2019 @ 1:51 PM

bsmntdwllr73

And the largely non-lamented loss of Record Store Row near Yonge and Dundas was/is a far greater (ongoing) personal tragedy for me even to this very day. Those select few Sunrise locations in far-off malls are alright, but nothing will ever beat that downtown music mecca of the mid eighties to the mid-Aughts. R.I.P. to infinity for that most hard-hitting full-body shot to my ears!!!

March 10, 2019 @ 1:56 PM

Cambo

So, video DIDN'T kill the radio star afterall??

You left out VHS/Beta and the great debate, rewinding the stupid things, tape getting chewed in the machine and manually rewinding 4 miles of tape with a pencil. The eternal 12:00 blinking.

March 10, 2019 @ 2:13 PM

bsmntdwllr73

And we can't forget the similar hell of music cassettes getting inevitably stuck in tape recorders
and Walkmans, especially if they were of double-length variety. I still enjoy the format 'cause
I have a lot of rare and obscure titles kicking around both my personal hovel and over-priced
storage facility, but the wear and tear on those things certainly ain't pretty!! (Tapes from Polygram
Records were notorious for easy breakage back in the day).

March 10, 2019 @ 2:20 PM

Jody Thornton

I kept purchasing LPs until July 2014. It was just getting too expensive, but I was doing it still when no one else was purchasing vinyl between 1991 to 2006. Imagine the looks of disbelief when I'd spin "Jagged Little Pill" on my turntable in 1995? Remember at that time, most people didn't think they still made records. Of course, I had to import that release of Alanis' LP from Germany.

I wouldn't do it today though. The records I have take up too much room.

March 10, 2019 @ 2:20 PM

@Cambo

I thought of that, but I didn't think the Internet was to blame!

March 10, 2019 @ 2:20 PM

bsmntdwllr73

With the loss of Goodwill three years ago and the emergence of Vinyl-only emporiums, it has
really become quite difficult to even minimally pursue my used CD fetish these days. The
Reference Library sells them for a buck each, but the competition is fierce and I suspect
that most of my competitors are selling their wares to BMV/Sonic Boom for little more
than their purchase price. The Salvation Army thrift stores are largely hit and miss and
Value Village is mainly a boon for bearded vinyl enthusiast hipsters!!

March 10, 2019 @ 2:29 PM

dale

The main reason our company was restructured & lost my job with 75% of others in late 2017 early 2018 was because of paperless billing. I was in the printing industry & MANY of our major accts. were banking - Amex, BMO, Royal Bank, Bell printing the mail core of the letter & sending to digital printer for personalization.

March 10, 2019 @ 3:26 PM

Urooj Islam

I love that your local video store owner had the business acumen to also sell weed. I mean, if your biggest clientele is likely going to be stoner kids as was the case with most independent video stores, you might as well cut out the middle man and also sell them their entertainment enhancement medicine.

Anyways, I am not a big fan of pointless nostalgia. I don't miss any of the things you listed and my life is easier for not having those experiences anymore.

March 10, 2019 @ 4:21 PM

@Urooj Islam

I heard it was coke.

March 10, 2019 @ 4:49 PM

Urooj Islam

@Toronto Mike

Oh, I see.

Well, maybe that somewhat explains his fascination with Quentin Tarantino movies, haha.

March 10, 2019 @ 5:05 PM

elvis

This is a quintessential Toronto Mike post.

March 10, 2019 @ 5:11 PM

H.o.E.

I also don't miss any of the things that have been eliminated by the internet.
You can add to the list pretty much any stores selling specialized, niche, or hobby type of things. If we haven't already reached this point, soon the "brick and mortar" stores will exist only for items that can be sold in reasonably large quantities, as they're not going to bother with anything else they know they may not be able to sell or can only sell in small numbers.
With stuff like major brand name clothing and shoes, you will very often see something on their website, then go to their store (or the major retail outlets they list who carry their brand), and there's little hope that you will find the specific item you want, and they will just tell you to order it online if you ask them.
And even places like Walmart encourage people to order from their websites, as the individual stores are unlikely to have the particular model of blender or whatever there on the shelf.

March 10, 2019 @ 5:13 PM

headsup

It has probably been 15 years since I watched anything on Much. Probably more than that since I have watched anything regularly. Can't say as this programming change impacts my life at all... They might as well change the station's name to Not Much Music...

March 10, 2019 @ 9:22 PM

Broni

This was probably inevitable. But, when I used to watch MuchMusic religiously it wasn't really for the videos, it was for the antics of the VJs. Strip that away and it loses its edge -- and you can't blame the internet for that.

March 10, 2019 @ 10:21 PM

Cambo

@TM

Maybe not the VHS per se, but Netflix and to a lesser degree, pirating, did kill the home movie media.

You can now find almost any movie you want via legitimate means (ITunes/Google Play/Netflix etc), pay LESS than renting (for older things), and watch it almost anywhere you want.

DVD/BluRay is dead because of the internet.

March 11, 2019 @ 7:41 AM

jj

I never spent much time on Much, since I didn't always have full cable. Still, it's kinda sad. I love me some nostalgia. On the weekend, my sister in law went through her CD collection and we had a good laugh!

March 11, 2019 @ 10:18 AM

Ryan G

As a Ryerson student I remember how different the Yonge/Dundas area was many years ago, but the biggest thing for me at the time was the arcades. In between classes I'd head over and play hours of BeachHead 2000, Scramble or countless pinball games. These joints were nasty though..real nasty. I remember there was always a greezy pedo-lookin' neck-beard and pony tail type dude giving you change who would sit behind this super tall desk - i suppose so it would be harder to rip them off.

I also remember Rockwell Jeans that would somehow display a hundred pairs of jeans along the walls outside. They've moved to an alley beside the Imperial pub. And I would frequent the Mr Sub on the north east corner of Y/D. And then of course..there was Nuts n Bolts on Victoria. But that's a whole other story.

March 11, 2019 @ 10:28 AM

collingwood dave

Hot smoke and Sasafrass by The Bubble Puppy was the first vinyl 45 that i ever bought. Circa 1967, I was 7 years old..look it up...

March 11, 2019 @ 11:40 AM

Jody Thornton

@Collingwood Dave:

My first 45-rpm disc was Johnny Wakelin's "Black Superman". I was in kindergarten, so my mom noticed I had a very early interest in recorded music. I don't remember what my first LP was. It was likely Disco Party which was one of those K-Tel compilations....lol

March 11, 2019 @ 11:46 AM

collingwood dave

@ Jody..my first LP was the first KISS album, I thought they were cool dressing up like freaks. Now that I look back their music sucks...

March 11, 2019 @ 1:12 PM

James Edgar

Never watched much Much. I did like their live broadcasts. but was not much of a consumer of even that.

My First 45 was Immigrant Song from Led Zep. My First Album was Cosmos Factory from CCR.

As for the rest Not much of that list is missing from my life, I do love album covers and miss the time when we could buy vinyl at a decent price and get all that great artwork. In especially don't miss lining up for days for concert tickets. Even though it can be PITA getting them online still beats sitting in line overnight .

March 11, 2019 @ 5:55 PM

dale

Memories!
1st 45 was Bye Bye Love by Everly Brothers & 1st album was the Beatles Meet The Beatles.

March 11, 2019 @ 6:06 PM

Teena in Toronto

Watched it all the time in the 1980s and 1990s ... haven't watched it in years. I'm surprised they haven't totally changed their format.

March 11, 2019 @ 8:20 PM

Rick C in Oakville

My first album was an Elvis one given to me by my Grandmother. It was Flaming Star, which was a disappointment, given it was his country material. Was hoping for Jail House Rock. I think she figured the material for a 9-10 year old kid was not appropriate.

March 12, 2019 @ 8:13 AM

Sully

My favorite memories of MuchMusic are "Pop-Up Video", which I found interesting, and looking at Erica Ehm. I said looking, not listening!

March 14, 2019 @ 8:11 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Sully
Especially that legendary occasion when the lovely Ms. Ehm broadcast from the backyard of a
contest winner (if my PERVAGRAPHIC memory serves) in a quite fetching bikini. Pretty sure
I was in 'full-camping mode' after catching those several hours of Cancon broadcasting gold!!

March 14, 2019 @ 11:03 AM

H.o.E.

@bsmntdwllr73 -- I don't recall that, but it reminded me of "Rachel Perry - Not Much On Day".
YouTube

March 14, 2019 @ 2:16 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@H.o.E.
Yeah, another total MuchMusic babe blast from the past. 'Twas a real shame when she departed for
sunnier climates and a bigger paycheck down south. Fun fact: Another former MuchMusic VJ
was cast as the initial female neighbour role on "Big Bang Theory" (Amanda Walsh) but was
recast after the initial pilot was scrapped. She has numerous other credits listed on her IMDB
page, but imagine all the potential syndication $$$ she lost out on. Might actually be even
hotter than Kaley Cuoco because she is not "artificially-sweetened"!!!

March 14, 2019 @ 3:24 PM