Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 436: Marc Weisblott from 12:36

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 436In this 436th episode, Mike chats with Marc Weisblott from 12:36 about the current state of media in Canada and what you oughta know. This episode is exactly 2:30:00.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Marc Weisblott and me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Palma Pasta, Fast Time Watch & Jewellery Repair, Property in the 6ix, Paytm Canada and BUKL. Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Palma Pasta   glb   Fast Time Watch & Jewellery Repair

propertyinthesix   BUKL   paytm

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Jody Thornton

WooHoo! And still over two hours - just how I like it :)

February 28, 2019 @ 7:15 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Just curious, but how much material had to be left on the cutting room floor due to daycare
pick-up duty?!? Still anxiously awaiting for a really epic three hour edition, perhaps with a
little bit of that astute throwback hard rock/heavy metal flavouring that often finds its way
into the 12:36 Twitter feed (say, a fair amount of mentions/shout-outs to Sebatian Bach, Anvil,
Thor(!), and the almighty Helix)! P.S., you dodged a bullet by not being offered a spot on that
recent Jesse Brown/Canadaland Podcast. Dude is insufferable, but 12:36 and his co-guest
Ben managed to class the proceeding up!!

February 28, 2019 @ 7:28 PM

@bsmntdwllr73

A lot, including the entire politics section. But it's still 2.5 hours. Who am I, Joe Rogan?!?!

February 28, 2019 @ 7:38 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Sure as hell hope not, although financially that might be quite advantageous!!
P.S., I won't shed any tears about that cut political stuff (although things might be a
whole lot more EXPLOSIVE(!) by the time the next 12:36 episode drops in a month!

February 28, 2019 @ 7:42 PM

Anon&on

Haven't listened yet, but just listened to the Canadaland episode with Marc about podcasting. He could have slipped a quick Mike'd reference, come on.

February 28, 2019 @ 7:45 PM

@1236

@Anon&on: your inquiry partly explained in this episode — the Canadaland episodes are cut down from a longer chat, and Jesse sought a specific focus … moreover, I first suggested to him that Mike’d be the focus!

February 28, 2019 @ 8:00 PM

@1236

two afterthoughts: we never got into “Chair Girl” due to pivoting to “Cat Shit Guy” (but her court date is March 22, so, next time!) and Jackie Shane didn’t technically lose the Grammy to Weird Al, they were nominated in two different reissue categories (but Al still won and Jackie still lost)

February 28, 2019 @ 8:04 PM

@Anon&on

I'm still reeling from the fact Hebsy was on The Fan 590 morning show last week and he didn't slip in a quick TM reference, even though I co-host his podcast with him!

February 28, 2019 @ 8:11 PM

Urooj Islam

These and the elvis episodes have become absolutely can't miss and the fact that they both push close to 3 hours makes it even better.

Thank you Marc and Mike for so much damn content.

February 28, 2019 @ 8:12 PM

Urooj Islam

Holy shit, the lead singer of Sky died last summer and we're just finding out?

"Some Kinda Wonderful" and "Love Song" were big Can-con jams 20 years ago.

February 28, 2019 @ 9:44 PM

dunf

Holy crap. Every reality show I've ever watched is "irri-tainment." Get Weisblott in the Oxford English dictionary now! Isn't Mark the ideal guest for you? No show prep to do, and with any prompt he'll happily unload informed and witty rants. Glad he's monthly, great earfood.

February 28, 2019 @ 9:57 PM

dunf

Sorry for the "k" there, Marc. Blame it on being Bono's officemate all those years.

February 28, 2019 @ 9:59 PM

@dunf

Actually, these are tough eps! I have 12 hours of content, and I'm constantly making decisions on the fly as to what we'll skip and what we can get to, knowing I don't want to miss a beat during the In Memoriam section and I have a hard stop to pick up the kids!

February 28, 2019 @ 10:03 PM

@1236

@Urooj: here was the piece about the Sky singer death mystery https://bit.ly/2XxLrH9

@dunf: thanks Gary! a lot of what I do today was influenced by you … https://bit.ly/2T4BemN

February 28, 2019 @ 10:06 PM

So that's who Dunf is!

I'd have Gary Dunford on the podcast!

February 28, 2019 @ 10:08 PM

dunf

You're only asking 'cause I sat on a stool next to Anne Rohmer once a month? Figures.

February 28, 2019 @ 10:32 PM

@dunf

That reminds me, Ann owes me an Ikea lunch.

By the way, you came up in the last episode with Ted Woloshyn.

February 28, 2019 @ 10:34 PM

dunf

Interesting that the UBC didn't come up in Wolo's show.
But the first rule of the Ukrainian Boys Club is: never talk about the UBC.
Even now.

February 28, 2019 @ 10:41 PM

@dunf

Slotek told me about it on Tuesday night.

February 28, 2019 @ 10:45 PM

dunf

For shame, Slo!
But if you tell anyone else, Mike, expect a fatal paprika overdose in your next cabbage rolls.

February 28, 2019 @ 11:47 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Suggested music to be played any time Dean Blundell's anti-TM'd screed is mentioned on the podcast in the future: "It's the Same Old Song" by The Temptations. P.S., does Dean Blundell have his own
special square on the TM'd Bingo card yet?!? If not, pretty sure that it should!

March 1, 2019 @ 9:18 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Sorry, the song mentioned above was actually by the incredible Four Tops. So embarrassed
with shame, I'm gonna go seek out Audrey II from that "Little Shop of Horrors" flick ('86)
edition and allow myself to become human mulch!!! (Fun fact: The late Levi Stubbs, the
now deceased lead singer of the Four Tops voiced Audrey II.

March 1, 2019 @ 9:22 AM

Blair

Being a semi-member of the UBC, I wonder which full member of the UBC sold more albums, Woloshyn or Nestor Pistor?

March 1, 2019 @ 10:28 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Don't mean to step on anybody's freshly- revealed grave, but kinda preferred the second incarnation
of Sky with that tres hot singer Anastasia Friedman. Great videos for "Superhero" and "You" but
their quite discerning fan base didn't feel it too strongly and the remaining bald dude went on to
briefly team up with future Toto cover artist Karl Wolf (so suck it, bandwagon jumpers Weezer!),
and R.I.P. to James Renauld as well!!

March 1, 2019 @ 11:40 AM

Javed Jafri

@bsmtdwllr73

Don't feel bad about the Four Tops mix-up, for years I thought the song was by the Isley Brothers b/c it reminded me of "This Old Heart of Mine." The confusion may have cleared up around 1989 but seeped back and if someone had asked me today before I read your message I might not have answered correctly.

March 1, 2019 @ 11:59 AM

Urooj Islam

@1236

Thanks for the article, Marc.

I hope the lead singer of Serial Joe is still alive.

March 1, 2019 @ 1:38 PM

Urooj Islam

@bsmntdwllr73

Whoa, so Sky released 3 total albums during their existence and each of them was with a different lead singer?

Weird! I had no idea the bald dude in the group was the mastermind of the group and singers were replaceable.

March 1, 2019 @ 1:52 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Urooj Islam
Yeah, baldy Antoine from Sky became the group's Svengali after the now-deceased James Renald
(sorry 'bout the spelling mistake in my previous comment), bolted from the group after the
success of their first album. Pretty sure that a lot of the group's initial appeal was to a certain key
demographic and when the handsome dude was replaced by a foxy lady, serious momentum was never even remotely recovered.

@Javed Jafri
Fun fact: "It's the Same Old Song's" title can almost be seen as a sly nod to the unassailable fact
that it is very similar in spots to their previous single "I Can't Help Myself", which was previously
recorded slightly earlier by The Supremes.

March 1, 2019 @ 2:54 PM

bsmntdwllr73

And to further mess with peoples' heads somewhat, there have been at least two other very
different bands who have used the "Sky" handle: The English/Australian instrumental combo called Sky (including John Williams, a famous classical guitarist from Down Under) and the New York City
R&B/Funk/Disco ensemble Skyy. All quite different from one another and the latter two acts were
both long-defunct by the time our homegrown Sky emerged.

March 1, 2019 @ 3:30 PM

Javed Jafri

@bsmtdswllr73

The thing is that the Same Old Song is really the only Four Tops hit that I don't associate with the group. I Can't Help Myself, Reach Out and Bernadette etc just cry out Four Tops and it's not hard to see that Billy Bragg would release a song called Levi Stubbs Tears.

March 1, 2019 @ 4:41 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Javed Jafri
Very good points!! And, yes, as I sort of mentioned in a jumbled way in one of my earlier
comments in this thread, The Supremes had first crack at "It's The Same Old Song", but then
again, almost all of the big Motown hits from the 1960s were often recorded by various groups,
almost like a musical version of Mortal Combat!: Another fun fact: The Temptations recorded
"War" before Edwin Starr turned it into an enormous hit.

March 1, 2019 @ 4:51 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Looking to listen to this Monday, have a long drive to Chatham and I know it will go quickly listening to Marc and you kibbitzing. I signed up for 1236's emails about a month ago, and truly enjoy Marc's quick(and humourous) abbreviated postings everyday.
Man would i love to hear Gary Dunford (dunf), miss his page 6 columns, and can't believe he signed off in 2005! Didn't think it was that long ago. Maybe if you can get Ann back in, give dunf a stool to sit next to her.

March 1, 2019 @ 8:35 PM

Justin

Really cool that Lowest of the Low will be playing at the next TMLX. I hadn't heard of them before discovering their music via this podcast and I really enjoy them now. Just got Apple Music a few weeks ago and have been listening through a lot of their catalog. Good stuff!

March 2, 2019 @ 11:37 AM

Urooj Islam

Toronto Mike is right, the death of a lead singer making the music of a band more appealing is definitely a thing.

Been listening to the James Renald version of Sky for the last 2 days.

March 2, 2019 @ 4:38 PM

@Urooj Islam

Should Hootie die young, I'll be listening to this jam on repeat.

March 2, 2019 @ 4:59 PM

LieveFamke

As always a great 12:36 episode!

And the mention of Kon Kan!?! What a blast from the past! Juan said who?!!? I found "I Beg Your Pardon" on YouTube and played it for him. He was shocked that they were Canadian - it was apparently a huge hit in Venezuela as well!

Whatever happened to them? Maybe an another episode??

March 3, 2019 @ 7:35 PM

LieveFamke

@ Mike, we listened to this episode over breakfast, when you mentioned the problem with pronouncing certain words, Juan said to me "so it's just not Spanish words Mike can't pronounce?"
I choked on my coffee laughing..

March 3, 2019 @ 7:38 PM

@1236

Kon Kan reunion interview two years ago https://youtu.be/Do6PsOhcSjs

Barry Harris soon enough racked up a lot of big remix credits, especially after this Whitney Houston one became the preferred version … https://youtu.be/tOglLklx8SU

thanks LieveFamke!

March 3, 2019 @ 7:46 PM

@1236

25th anniversary of John Candy’s death raises another error in this episode — he’s not buried in Toronto

March 4, 2019 @ 8:08 AM

jj

I listened to this so I could hear why I got a shout out - but I am still listening! You two together are funny, Marc is hilarious. I loved the part about the celebrities buried in Toronto/GTA. I knew about Gregory Hines, and his fiancee - I sometimes consider going to visit his gravesite - I loved him in Waiting to Exhale. I laughed out loud at a few other points too!

March 6, 2019 @ 1:00 PM

Jody Thornton

Holy Crap! The flagship Fast Time Watch Repair shop is right around the corner from me. I'm in the Bayview and Major Mack area, so that's kinda cool. Sadly, I haven't worn watches in the last few years.

At least I wouldn't have to pluck any eyebrows to go see your client Mike :p
(sorry JJ)

March 6, 2019 @ 7:54 PM

Jody Thornton

@Marc (12:36)

Was John Candy not buried in California? Perhaps I'm wrong. You mentioned a memorial that was here fro Candy and Tony Rosato.

Great Show. I always love your appearances.

March 6, 2019 @ 8:58 PM

@Jody Thornton

This was a rare mistake by @1236!

March 6, 2019 @ 9:06 PM

jj

Jody Thornton - it is worth the drive, they did a good job and it cost less than if i had gone to the bay!! :)

March 6, 2019 @ 10:00 PM

Jody Thornton

@jj

Well apparently my Dad (whose across the lake in St Catharines) has an old watch that needs some TLC. Perhaps I'll take a look.

March 6, 2019 @ 10:11 PM

Urooj Islam

@jj

I'm glad you are finally buying in because the @1236 episodes are an absolute Godsend for people like us who skew on the younger side of Toronto Mike's audience.

I learn so much about the media history of Canada and music in general. Plus, Mike and Marc aren't above any topic or anyone, they don't talk down to younger people who might not know much about what they are discussing.

March 9, 2019 @ 1:50 PM

jj

Jody Thornton - I changed a battery on a Kate Spade watch at the Bay in Yorkdale, pretty sure it was over $20! SO definitely worth a drive :)

Urooj - I was pleasantly surprised by all the little things I learned - definitely I am tuning in again. I died because Marc was just so funny, and got some great zingers in there. Yeah, they're very welcoming to audience members of all ages :)!

March 9, 2019 @ 4:09 PM

LieveFamke

@1236 , Thanks Marc for that link to the YouTube clip of Kon Kan. I still think Mike needs to hunt them down for an episode! :)

March 10, 2019 @ 1:53 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Fun fact: Just saw a cut-out (i.e., critic's copy) of that third quite hard to find 3rd Kon Kan CD for $7.99
in the new arrivals bin at Sonic Boom in Chinatown just the other day. Never made much noise
back in the day and was released on a local independent label after the band lost their U.S. record
deal with Atlantic.