Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 427: Marc Weisblott

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 427In this 427th episode, Mike chats with with Marc Weisblott of 12:36 about the current state of the media in Canada. This episode is exactly 2:27:44.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

1236 and me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Palma Pasta, Fast Time Watch & Jewellery Repair, Property in the 6ix, Paytm Canada and BUKL. Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Palma Pasta   glb   Fast Time Watch & Jewellery Repair

propertyinthesix   BUKL   paytm

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Jody Thornton

WooHoo! Is it a new "quarter" already?

January 31, 2019 @ 7:56 PM

Urooj Islam

@Jody Thornton

I think they are doing these monthly now.

January 31, 2019 @ 8:35 PM

Jody Thornton

Cool! I didn't know that was already started.

January 31, 2019 @ 9:08 PM

Yes, we're going monthly now. Just too much good 12:36 content to keep it quarterly.

Marc returns at the end of February.

January 31, 2019 @ 9:24 PM

Urooj Islam

I'm confused (in a good way) by the story about the Sheriff song. Maybe some of our resident commenters who know too much about music history can check in (bsmntdwllr73, I'm looking in your direction, friend).

How does a song become so popular years after its release without the resurgence being triggered by it being prominently featured in a popular movie or TV show or it being covered by a currently popular artist? I just don't understand how it happened. So, like a DJ just decides in the late 1980s that he's going to revive an old song and somehow other radio DJs follow along?

Very interesting story.

January 31, 2019 @ 9:33 PM

@1236

@Urooj

if you want to listen to a whole other podcast to A your Q …
LINK

January 31, 2019 @ 9:41 PM

@1236

... and a correction on our last obituary subject, who didn’t die at 85, but 73

maybe next time there’ll be somebody older to include on the R.I.P. list …

January 31, 2019 @ 11:08 PM

Urooj Islam

@12:36

Thanks for that podcast episode recommendation, Marc. I will listen to it on 1.5X or 2X speed in your honour.

Also, I hope you told Toronto Mike to pull a Ben Shapiro and fit in a Palma Pasta read or maybe play a recording from Brian Gerstein during his next speaking engagement at Durham College.

February 1, 2019 @ 1:59 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Just a personal opinion, but I enjoy that certifiable Alias panty-dropper "More Than Words Can Say"
a hell of a lot more than that rather flaccid Sheriff ditty (it also helps that the former largely benefits
from having three original members of Heart's musical braintrust providing some tasty yet mostly
unobtrusive accompaniment). Furthermore, while it is great that the belated American success
of "When I'm With You" allowed for Arnold Lanni to upgrade his choice of automobile, a few years
later it also provided him with ample opportunity to mentor/produce an up and coming Our Lady
Peace. That is beyond unforgivable, as many grievous crimes against music were deliberately
committed by that Faustian partnership. Frozen Ghost were great, though. BTW, I'm still waiting
more than 30 years later for the powers that be to inform me of what I should see!!

February 2, 2019 @ 10:06 AM

Al The Royal Pain

I enjoyed this one as usual but man it was painful to listen to two navigate the Mike Taylor (Beard Guy) story.

It's a symptom of the fragmentation of where people digest their music these days because in our house Walk Off The Earth is a BIG band. They're played daily and no, not for their covers. They've got three solid albums and quite the world-wide following. So it wasn't a surprise to us how big a deal it was when Mike died. What a loss! He was definitely the most talented musician in a band full of very talented musicians.

They're definitely a Youtube phenomenon, but I would consider them an indie success story because they're touring the world without much record company support, from what I see they're doing it on their own terms using social media to great effect in building relationships with their fans.

February 2, 2019 @ 5:17 PM

@Al The Royal Pain

My excuse is I really thought they were just a fun cover band (think Pentatonix or The Royal Pains) until I caught Red Hands on the radio. It's a good song, popular, and a Walk Off the Earth original composition.

And like most people, i learned they existed because of their YouTube video for their cover of Gotye's Somebody That I Used To Know.

February 2, 2019 @ 5:26 PM

Urooj Islam

I just found out that UB40 is basically a cover band.

;) :(

February 2, 2019 @ 6:11 PM

@Urooj Islam

Indeed!

And hilariously, one of their rare original hits was entitled "Sing Our Own Song".

February 2, 2019 @ 6:31 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
And please don't forget about the great "If It Happens Again" and "Rat In Mi Kitchen", both original
songs, from 1984 and 1986 respectively. "Don't Break My Heart" from '85 is also a fine tune,

February 3, 2019 @ 1:44 PM

@bsmntdwllr73

I like "One in Ten".

February 3, 2019 @ 2:16 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Yeah, forgot about that one! Nice remix version by UK group 808 State back in '92 as well.

February 3, 2019 @ 3:54 PM

Al The Royal Pain

@Mike,

It's no slight, again just a reflection of how fragmented music discovery is these days. Like you said in a previous podcast, Some of those old music countdown shows would feature artists from all genres. Now it's near impossible to gauge which music is most popular and appeals most to the masses.

Makes having a cover band pretty tough now if you want to pick current songs most people will enjoy. It will all depend on how they consume their music. There is no more Top 6 @ 6 to inform us of that.

Unless something is a monster hit and predominantly featured in a commercial or a popular film or video game, it could go unheard by many.

February 4, 2019 @ 9:17 AM

Lou Schizas

Always an entertaining episode - NOW MONTHLY!

February 4, 2019 @ 6:24 PM

LieveFamke

Interesting as always! :)

I'm wondering if the monthly episodes from this point forward will go as long... I can understand the quarterly ones had to go long, a lot happens over a couple of months.. but how much can happen in one month!?!?

Also, @1236 - have you done a KOTJ episode? I can't remember.

February 8, 2019 @ 4:28 PM

@1236

... but everything in this episode was in one month! three fewer days in February so let’s see ... (no KOTJ yet, maybe in a month without enough stuff)

February 8, 2019 @ 4:38 PM

Urooj Islam

@LieveFamke

With the way media is downsizing and contracting in this country, there will always be stuff for Toronto Mike and 12:36 to talk about on these episodes.

One week into February and we already have Adnan Virk's firing from ESPN and Matt Gurney's firing from AM640. I'm sure there's more that's not coming to me at the moment.

February 8, 2019 @ 4:45 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@1236
Unsolicited opinion from the bsmntdwllng peanut gallery, but it would totally be great if you
were to consider participating in a KOTJ episode regardless. Someone needs to finally step-up
and perhaps represent some of the genres largely ignored on here to date, or at least attempt to
provide some keen bizarro musical appreciation a la the great Chuck Eddy!!

February 8, 2019 @ 4:46 PM

Don't forget classic Toronto Mike'd guest Kid Craig's firing!

February 8, 2019 @ 4:55 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
But how much time would a quality discussion around that (back of a milk carton) subject actually fill?!?

February 8, 2019 @ 4:58 PM

LieveFamke

Geez, you'd think the media is doing this just to keep 1236 talking for +2 hours!

February 8, 2019 @ 5:17 PM

A little string of bad luck for Toronto Mike'd guests.

Elliott Price
Kid Craig
Matt Gurney

Gurney and Price actually visited back-to-back last January.

February 8, 2019 @ 6:12 PM

LieveFamke

@Mike, not quite the Humble & Fred death chair..

February 8, 2019 @ 7:23 PM

@LieveFamke

On that front, it's quite the opposite. No guest deaths! Even Bob Elliott is doing well after his heart attack.

February 8, 2019 @ 7:44 PM

LieveFamke

@Mike, you have the "Juno" chair!!

February 8, 2019 @ 7:51 PM