Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 253: Alex Pierson

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 253In this 253rd episode, Mike chats with Alex Pierson about her years at City TV and the rise and fall of the Sun News Network. This episode is exactly 1:30:29.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Alex Pierson and Me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Property in the 6ix and Paytm Canada.

Great Lakes Beer propertyinthesix.com

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Doug

Was this the warm-up to the long awaited Ann Rohmer interview?
(speaking of which, has she retired yet again from CP24? Haven't seen her in a while)

July 20, 2017 @ 7:37 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@ Mike,
I can't believe how much I enjoyed this episode considering the fact that I was
rather dismayed when your guest ended up working for Sun TV. Always thought
that Alex was very attractive and intelligent , so it was good to hear her clear up a lot
of the misconceptions concerning the latter part of her career. Also, once again this
episode served as a sad reminder of what was lost when Moses Znaimer was removed
from CityTv and Bell completely destroyed the brand. If I have one complaint, it was when
you brought up the Christine Bentley/Kate Wheeler interview, as it reminded me how
uncomfortable I felt listening to that particular show.

July 21, 2017 @ 9:56 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

Rogers owns CityTV, not Bell. I don't blame you for getting confused... I always have to stop and remind myself that Rogers ended up with City and Bell ended up with CP24 and Much.

Please tell me why you were uncomfortable listening to the Bentley / Wheeler episode. I'm naturally curious!

July 21, 2017 @ 10:00 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike,
I can't believe I fudged up and blamed Bell for CityTv's decline, but I also do
believe that Bell has completely tanked the MuchMusic brand to the nth degree.
As for what upset me about the Bentley/Wheeler episode, I felt that the two of
them were overly arrogant even if they did both receive a raw deal in being
forcibly removed from their cherished jobs. I think that Anne Mroczkowski and
Liza Fromer covered the same beat with much more class and dignity. Plus, didn't
one or both of these ladies repeatedly complain about your basement while their
cameraman stooge filmed it for their online show?

July 21, 2017 @ 10:14 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike,
Oh, and one more thing: Sorry to be a nag again, but the length of the episode was
under-estimated by nearly 17 minutes.

July 21, 2017 @ 10:20 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

Haha... when you've reached the top of the mountain, it's tough to slum it some guy's basement. :)

The Anne and Liza episodes are exceptional #realtalk, but I learned a great deal from the Bentley/Wheeler episode as well. Firstly, there was the horrific story of Wheeler getting stabbed and then the revealing story about Bentley being told her time was up but they would spin it as a retirement so she could keep her dignity.

The fact is, they did visit and sit in my dark basement for a couple of hours, so I give them full marks and much respect!

July 21, 2017 @ 10:21 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

That's not being a nag, that's being helpful.

I'm always careful to get the length right in the XML but sometimes when I post these HTML updates I forget to change that variable. It's fixed now.

July 21, 2017 @ 10:23 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
As always, very happy to help. Wish I could do more!!

July 21, 2017 @ 10:25 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

I highly suggest all listeners pledge $10 / month here: https://www.patreon.com/torontomike

July 21, 2017 @ 10:27 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike,
Would be more than happy to financially contribute to your very worthy
cause, but sadly my posting alias isn't just a poor attempt at being clever:
Skid Row isn't just the name of a once mighty poodle-hair combo, it is also
my present and probably future address!!

July 21, 2017 @ 10:33 AM

Al The Royal Pain

Count me as someone who wasn't keen to listen to this episode and ended up enjoying it. Nice job!

July 21, 2017 @ 10:41 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

I'm just happy you enjoy the episodes.

July 21, 2017 @ 10:46 AM

@Al The Royal Pain

In the room, it felt like we needed a few minutes to get cooking. She was very serious, and I thought I was having a stroke when I couldn't remember the name of The Handmaid's Tale. I really don't know what happened there!

But by the 15 minute mark she relaxed and I relaxed and it felt great. Next thing you know, we're at 90 minutes...

July 21, 2017 @ 10:56 AM

Liz

Another hefty instalment! A pretty compelling conversation, that's for sure.

Once again, very well done, Mike!

July 22, 2017 @ 4:06 PM

chuck99

Your podcast is the only vehicle that will delve into the real issues in the radio and television industry.
I especially enjoyed the segments that dealt with the difficulty that more mature female broadcasters have in staying employed in the business and the plight that Sun News TV staffers face in finding work because the network was thoroughly discredited by so many. Keep up the good work.

July 24, 2017 @ 9:43 PM