The White Men of The Fan 590

During my conversation with Bubba O'Neil, the chat turned to race in Canadian sports media. He told me the best advice he'd received was from John Saunders who told him he'd have to work ten times as hard to make it, because he was a black man.

Blacks may be underrepresented in Canadian sports media, but a recent promotional picture from Rogers to promote their sports radio hosts on The Fan 590 have me wondering about that station in particular. Here's the image if you haven't seen it yet.

fan

For those wondering if Bob McCown and Stephen Brunt really did sit together for the photo, the answer is yes. All nine gathered and collected around a table for the photo shoot.

The "countless opinions" belong to nine white men. When you review their surnames, the lack of diversity becomes even more jarring.

• Brady
  • Price
  • Burrill
  • Cox
  • McCown
  • Brunt
  • Blair
  • Walker
  • Ennis

Herb Powell: You! What are your roots?
Exec: Well I guess you could say they extend to when the Anglos met the Saxons.
Herb Powell: In other words when white met bread.

Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?, The Simpsons

I have more questions here than answers. Without a doubt, this roster of sports talk radio talent is not representative of the world's most diverse city, but is it representative of sports radio listeners?

If one argues they are representative of sports radio listeners, is that a reflection of the fact all opinions are from a while male perspective? Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

And finally, does this matter? Should sports talk radio in Toronto feature a more diverse roster of talent? Does anyone care?

chris

Booby McCown runs the station & it seems obvious.
I don't listen to any of the sports stations on radio any more.
680 for news, traffic is my choice & I love all sports.

March 21, 2017 @ 7:04 PM

Rob J

Are women and minorities even allowed to call in to the FAN?

Seriously, if Rogers tried to make a fun parody ad for a 'white males only' station, they wouldn't have done anything different.

March 21, 2017 @ 7:11 PM

Ma Bell

Now in fairness, how about TSN?

March 21, 2017 @ 7:23 PM

@Ma Bell

Admittedly, that Twitter banner image prompted this entry about The Fan 590, but TSN 1050 is equally white. They do have one woman, however.

March 21, 2017 @ 7:34 PM

Gary M

I never realized before this moment that Andrew Walker isn't a black woman. Listen to 'him' and tell me that isn't 100% estrogen and soul.

March 21, 2017 @ 7:38 PM

Rob J

Sorry, me again...nearly every guy in that picture has been fired and rehired, demoted from TV, and-or been shuffled to another time slot due to poor performance. Surely these dudes aren't even the best *white males* available!

March 21, 2017 @ 7:49 PM

Glasgow Megasnake

What a line up of douchebags. McCown is a complete narcissist, Damien Cox is just a bald clown shoe, and Brady and Walker are as appealing as a car air freshener made from the scent of my smegma.

The only one there worthy of any airtime, or oxygen in general, is Hugh Burrill. He may be a white guy, but he just seems like a normal fella and pretty representative of the TO sports fan.

March 21, 2017 @ 8:33 PM

elvis

It's a problem. Hopefully this post makes them recognize it. They may not have been aware of it until this photo because the visual is stunning.

March 21, 2017 @ 8:34 PM

Rob

This ad is quite something. One of the reasons this station has gone downhill.... fast. I used to listen to Bob religiously and turn to the FAN regularly but in the past couple of years the station has fallen off my radar. Part of the reason is that Overdrive is just amazing radio and the other reason being that the FAN seems to have lost touch with the heartbeat of the city and only interested in blatantly pushing their own products. I'm not a fan of Tim and Sid but they did represent something different, something fresh. I guess they were to "radical" for the airwaves.

March 21, 2017 @ 10:19 PM

Pete

Does it matter? No.

Should there be a more diverse roster of talent? If it warrants it. I just don't see that talent out there though.

No one seems overly concerned that the majority of sports anchors hired these days are attractive white females.

So to answer the last question. Do I care? No.

March 21, 2017 @ 11:01 PM

j

i don't listen to sports radio - so i don't know how much of their audience is POC and whether they want representation or not.

it does matter, because that picture really does not reflect the reality of Toronto's population. I know quite a few POC who enjoy sports - so it isn't a stretch to think they may have listened to sports radio.

@pete - if it warrants it, but you don't see the talent? how would you, you're not their HR/hiring team. why would a POC bother to apply there, they don't seem very inclusive anyway. this is part of the problem - if these guys have been fired/rehired as @Rob J says - why keep reusing them and making them the focal point of your station?

No one commented here to say if they were a POC in any manner and to say if it bothered them - I am hoping someone does.

As an aside - why is the guy in shades, in shades? Does he have a vision problem?

March 22, 2017 @ 8:20 AM

Steve

When it comes to news and opinions be they sports or otherwise, there are only a few things that matter to me. Can I watch/listen to this person without wanting to do harm to myself, others, or the evil device that is making the transmission of this person possible? Is the news I'm hearing accurate? Is the opinion, even if wrong in my view, an informed one? Am I entertained? Engaged? Is having this person on in the background while I do other things a pleasant experience?

March 22, 2017 @ 8:21 AM

James Edgar

I'm lazy so i'm stealing a great quote from Steve " I don't care one bit what colour or gender someone is as long as they're capable of doing the job they're doing."

Having said that the Fan is pretty white male host wise. They have tons of guests who are not either white nor male but again the majority of the guests are probably white and male.

I do listen to the Fan but only during commutes and not even for the whole drive 99% of the time. Could they be more diverse ? You bet is this a deliberate attempt to create "All White radio"? Nope i don't think so. These are just the 9 guys that the management think will bring in the best ratings. Time will tell if they are right. I think they are killing 1050 ratings wise so maybe they are right.

Back to Steve's quote as a middle aged white male" I don't care one bit what colour or gender someone is as long as they're capable of doing the job they're doing." so bringing in diversity wouldn't change my listening habits 1 iota as long as they were interesting. Bringing in diversity just to be diverse no matter how good the diverse are would have me turning away far more frequently.

@J That's McCowen the glasses are part of his shtick and yes possibly he has a bit of light sensitivity.

March 22, 2017 @ 9:03 AM

j

@James- I always wondered if he had a vision problem or it was just a shtick thing.

I think my problem with people who don't think we need any diversity and that it isn't an overt attempt to stifle diversity - why is a subtle attempt any better?

If no one cares what gender, sex, or ethnicity/race their media hosts are - why do they always
end up being predominantly white (like here) for example????

People say don't be diverse on purpose just for diversity's sake - but sometimes you simply have to introduce something different to counteract the normal idea that being different is wrong/bad/a problem - or it isn't a problem but we don't go in that direction anyway.

March 22, 2017 @ 9:09 AM

Patrick

Let's not forget that the parent company (rogers) laid off all the women and people with "strange names" from CityTV's on-air staff in 2010 so it shouldn't be a shock to see another Rogers owned property have a similar thing going on with their staff.

That said, what really is sad is that these are the same voices we've heard for the last 5 years. I guess 590 is really an insiders "cool kid" club where no one really goes away.

@j - Bob has stated that he wears the shades because the studio lights for the TV simulcast trigger migraines for him. It's now become part of his "look".

March 22, 2017 @ 9:09 AM

Pete

@j. Thanks for pointing out I'm not part of the hiring team. I hadn't noticed.

But since you misconstrued my point, I'll explain. In all likelihood, they are not going to just pick a POC or a female and plop them into a time slot just so they can be politically correct. Or at least I wouldn't think they would. So I assume in this case it would be a talent that is "already in the system" and we already see out there. And that being the case, I, personally, can't think of any of the talents we see today where I think to myself that a) they could hold down a 2/3-hour radio segment; and b) I would listen to. Some may think otherwise, but instead of simply beating the drum of there needing to be a POC or female (beyond Andi Petrillo) on the airwaves, let's hear some suggestions. And if you're going to use the point of leaving that to the hiring team (which I'm not a part of, thanks again for pointing out), do you really think it makes sense that they just airlift someone into a spot without having had some previous experience/visibility in the market when lots of advertising money is on the line?

I also find the argument that there are no POC to be a bit of a stretch considering I don't see these people when I'm listening to the radio. I don't tune in, think to myself, "Hey, there is no POC, I'm changing the station." If the topics are engaging, I'll listen. If Damien Cox is on his soapbox, I'll change the channel. Simple as that.

March 22, 2017 @ 9:15 AM

j

I have always been curious about the glasses - thanks Patrick!

Pete - you're just talking like you know the ins and outs of hiring for radio, and that you know for sure they have looked for diversity but it is not there because the talent isn't there - you really aren't a part of their hiring team and don't work in the industry - neither do i.

so because you can't see them - saying there are no POC is a stretch? Mike made a whole post proving there are no POC, it shows in their advertising.

In order for there to be diversity, someone needs to decide to choose someone who is diverse and give them a chance - much like someone saw Bubba and gave him the opportunity. I am suggesting someone do the same, there are still radio broadcasting programs offered at schools right? It isn't a problem for you, because most of the media you consume - the people look just like you. I would like to see more and more diversity in media. I am not saying I want a token black, indian, filipino, east asian person plopped in there - but i find it hard to believe in this day and age, someone from the categories I listed isn't around to train and give a chance?

March 22, 2017 @ 9:22 AM

Jamally

A few items/comments.

I know about Brunt going on Blair's show and the whole Tim and Sid thing, but are Brunt and Bob in a fued? I assume they are still friends. Or was there some bad blood.

Also, the Fan590/sportsnet does not have a clue about the Toronto landscape

March 22, 2017 @ 9:35 AM

Pete

j -- I'm not talking like I know the ins and outs. I'm just taking the viewpoint that I don't think that both Rogers and Bell purposefully shun diversity. Do people really think that is the case?

"I am not saying I want a token black, indian, filipino, east asian person plopped in there - but i find it hard to believe in this day and age, someone from the categories I listed isn't around to train and give a chance?"

Actually, it does sound like you (and others) want a token person put in there. As to your second point, Donovan Bennett seems to be getting groomed on the Fan. He was a regular on the Tim & Sid radio show. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they considered him as a co-host for Andrew Walker. Hypothetically, if he were given that role, and he was in the picture above, does that alter anyone's radio listening?

March 22, 2017 @ 9:35 AM

@Jamally

David Shoalts in the Globe reported there was some bad blood between McCown and Brunt. We talked about it here.

March 22, 2017 @ 9:41 AM

j

my point is that there are opportunities to give POC a chance. so how often are they given the chance?

I said I want them to consider their options, be open to diversity - i did not say stick any old POC in there just so i can see someone who doesn't look white there.

you quoted me and still managed to assume i want just anyone there. no, i want POC to have the same opportunities and chances as these 9 dudes in the picture have been given - it is clear that isn't the case. and neither of us know if having more POC on radio changes listening patterns, but again no one is trying to explore that via the same methods used to give these 9 dudes a shot.

March 22, 2017 @ 9:43 AM

Ryan G

that photo is exactly the same as those 80's basketball movies where the championship team is full of nothing but crackers, like hoosiers and teen wolf.

as i said, exactly the same.

March 22, 2017 @ 10:28 AM

Steve

So this blog post has nothing to do with the post on the same topic that was done (better) on Toronto Sports Media(.com) on the weekend?

March 22, 2017 @ 11:33 AM

@Steve

This entry was born from this comment left on the entry about the Carly Agro podcast.

But I dig the guys at TSM.... had one over to my home and met the other several times for coffee or beer... glad they did it better!

March 22, 2017 @ 11:37 AM

Allyson

Elvis is right. It should matter and it does matter. Rogers should correct this oversight.

March 22, 2017 @ 11:40 AM

max power

this is why toronto sports radio is a complete wasteland.... all interchangeable robotic automatons, all vanilla, no chocolate... at least cox, blair and brunt are legit journalists, the rest are talentless blowhards. I wouldnt listen to those hacks if I was paid. thank god for sirius..

March 22, 2017 @ 11:41 AM

Justin

This is more of an indursty problem, and I'd shy away from zeroing in on 590. Taking the weekday hosts from that station is an extremely small sample size. How many people of colour host weekday shows on 1010, 1050, and 640 combined? I count 1 single person from all 3 stations combined.

Instead of picking on 590, who have undoubtedly NOT purposefully created an all-white lineup (they just chose who they thought would be best), we should be addressing the systematic problem within the industry as a whole.

March 22, 2017 @ 12:44 PM

Brian from Burlington

I think a lot of the issue stems from the sport that these stations tend to focus on. Hockey. They clearly want Hockey guys, who are all the typical middle age white dudes. Baseball is a bit similar, but to a lesser extent.

If they spent a bit more time covering the NBA or NFL, perhaps they could diversify their talent pool a bit. No reason a guy like Paul Jones shouldn't get a show (if he would want one). Guys like Bomani Jones, Stephen A Smith (even though I'm not a fan) and others on US radio are good to listen to, but a lot of their focus tends to be on Football and Basketball. They're certainly not talking much hockey.

You focus on Hockey, a middle-age-white-guy sport, and you get middle-age-white-guy broadcasters...

March 22, 2017 @ 1:33 PM

Omar

"Instead of picking on 590, who have undoubtedly NOT purposefully created an all-white lineup..."

Don't kid yourself. These things do not happen on a subconscious level.

March 23, 2017 @ 12:09 AM

Urooj Islam

I have to be honest, that ad presents such a strange visual in Toronto in 2017 that I can't help but laugh. It reminds me of the infamous Huffington Post Editors tweet.

March 23, 2017 @ 12:25 AM

Daniel

Its actually pretty funny the obliviousness of it all. That they put this advertisement up, and the people looking at it, all white guys I'm assuming looked at each other and said: This is gold, lets run it

I agree the best person for the job. But you mean to tell me that there wasn't one minority or woman better then Andrew Walker??? Not one? in all the radio stations in all of Canada?

Also I think its funny how much of a massive hypocrite Cox is, going on and on about how the HHOF and hockey in general doesn't recognize women while he's working on a station that doesn't recognize women, but he won't say a word about that

March 23, 2017 @ 8:42 AM

max power

looking at that picture again, its actually really embarrassing, not even a token ethnic white guy... it reminds me of a republican cabinet meeting without the power, money or influence, but the same amount of hot air bellowed...

March 23, 2017 @ 10:22 AM

GDB

In my opinion - The McCown/Brunt tiff is beyond childish.

March 23, 2017 @ 10:52 AM

Urooj Islam

Faizal Khamisa on tomorrow, will be interesting to get his take on this. Although, as a Sportsnet employee, he probably won't be saying much.

Although, I don't think it's as devious as some of you are making it out to be. Radio is not a thriving industry that is going to attract people from a lot of different backgrounds anymore as much as TV or something web based like podcasting.

March 23, 2017 @ 12:23 PM

Irvine

Hockey isn't a middle age white guy sport. I can't speak for Toronto, but the NHL is very popular in the EI community in Surrey & area in the Lower Mainland. Pretty sure CBC serves that market too with a Panjabi version?

Perhaps all this "whiteness" is the reason that other sports like soccer & basketball don't get the ratings hockey does? Because the fans have no connection? Somehow, according to this CBC post, the Raptors revenue doubled in 15 years. Yet they have tiny ratings? How's that work? http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/basketball-by-the-numbers-1.3438486

The fans will find their sport just not on whitey AM.

March 23, 2017 @ 12:25 PM

Rabbi Krustofsky

Elliott Price is Jewish so there's your "white ethnic" (but Jews never underrepresented on the Fan past and present).

March 23, 2017 @ 1:47 PM

Rob J

Surprised we haven't heard from "Anth--" I mean "Anonnyman" tut-tutting us for any number of message board infractions which tear at the heart of his sensitivities.

March 23, 2017 @ 4:07 PM

Steve

They make Augusta National look diverse.

March 23, 2017 @ 4:27 PM

Sam Etic

Jason Portuondo & Co. do an amazing job Saturday mornings on G 98.7, World Beat Sports, I believe is the name of show....

March 23, 2017 @ 4:43 PM

the brother

I'm pretty sure the visible minorities in sports broadcasting are on TV so the outlets can say they support minorities. What's the point of hiring visible minorities if you can show them on TV lol....sarcasm....just in case you needed confirmation

March 23, 2017 @ 5:54 PM

Anonymous

FFS, another White Knight post.

I see PoCs and women all the time on Sportsnet and CBC hockey which is sort of under Sportsnet now. Most are young, i.e. just starting their careers. (Sorry, but I don't know all the names other than Khamisa)

They are not going to be put in a major role in a 2-3 hour talk radio slot; it's a specialist niche that requires experience and a strong personality. I think it's one of those jobs like writing that everyone thinks they can do until they try it. I'd be more concerned in 3-5 years if some of their current minority broadcasters aren't brought into the fold like Elliotte Friedman was.

There's also an upper middle class, clubby element there, especially with McCown, but I don't see that as racist/sexist per se. Having said that, I've always wondered why David Amber wasn't given Strombo's HNIC slot when MacLean was fired. Until someone spills here, or writes a tell all, it's hard to know.

March 24, 2017 @ 3:57 AM

Steve B

Bob McCowan is number one in Canada and has been for years. Canada is very diverse but ratings speak for themselves. So no, I don't have a problem with this.

March 24, 2017 @ 6:37 AM

Sal Sharpton

Maybe look at the grassroots here....

Ask Colleges how many minorities apply to radio and/or journalism programs. If the number of white people vastly outnumber minorities, especially on the sports side, radio stations have no choice but to hire the best candidate - which is the way business should be conducted.

Given Fan's recent hire for their morning show, they certainly aren't doing their due diligence in hiring the most talented or capable candidates. Recycling may not always be the best solution.

March 24, 2017 @ 7:44 AM

Chris

I would think it's only a matter of time before both the Fan & TSN radio get more diverse. I don't watch Sportsnet all that often but TSN has a pretty culturally diverse group of talent on the TV side.

I think it's important that everybody be able to turn on their TV, radio, computer, phone or pick up a book and / or magazine and see themselves reflected through the media. Unfortunately progress moves at glacial speeds.

March 24, 2017 @ 8:09 AM

Chris

@TorontoMike I'd say TSN is a fair bit less male & white than the Fan. They have a female host (Andi Petrillo) and the drivetime show; Overdrive is produced by a woman. Also, I believe Jamie McLennan is of aboriginal descent.

March 24, 2017 @ 8:25 AM

Whomever

These arent "white men" they are just men!!!! Im so sick of hearing the same nonsence over and over again. I bet if the entire panel was black nobody would care that there was not one white man. Should i be offended that none of the sur names are italian? No. Why...cause these men on the panel to me are just men that worked hard end of story.

March 24, 2017 @ 9:38 AM

j

TV and Radio are two different ballgames for diversity.

If it a specialist niche- then we're saying there have been no POC who have done enough sports talk radio to ever be hired here, and then we have to ask why?

there are overarching reasons/themes why majority of applicants to school programs may be white vs POC. if the majority of applications to programs are white men, then yes white men will get chosen more because literally there's more of them than anything else. and this is how the system works and it repeats itself.

wasn't there an article about how there is only one black student in the UofT med school program or something like that? that is really unfortunate, man. people just want to see themselves represented, but someone has to break the system somehow.

March 24, 2017 @ 11:21 AM

Smartest Person Here

BTW, what's a person of colour? Last I checked my skin had colour, a sort of pinkish/beige tone to it?

Perhaps the reason there are so few women and "PoC" in broadcasting is because they're not stupid enough to enter a dying trade and don't want to spend half their career in unemployment?

March 24, 2017 @ 1:56 PM

dave

Check out CP24, hard pressed to find a white male there.

March 24, 2017 @ 2:04 PM

Brian

Brian from Burlington nailed it. When all you talk about is hockey and baseball this is what you get. Tim and Sid at least offered something different, but without them the station is a joke. Unless of course you are a white dude over the age of 45.

March 24, 2017 @ 3:20 PM

Smartest Person Here

The bigger question is how many people will simply stop watching said stations? The answer is none. Just like all those people were going to boycott 102.1 after Martin Streek died and none did.

March 24, 2017 @ 4:43 PM

stephen

I don't care what colour or sex the talking head is.

I'm interested in 3 things...
Can the talking head make a point or ask a question quickly.
Can the talking head form and deliver an analysis that is both reasonable, and based on facts.
Am I wasting my time listening, or am I being informed and entertained?

That's it.

Proactive disclosure, yeah, I'm a middle aged white guy.

I don't listen/watch Ken Reid because he's white, it's because he's incapable of making a coherent point within a reasonable amount of time with information that is timely and/or relevant.

I don't listen/watch Stephen A Smith (a talking head on Sirius radio/network tv) because he's black, it's because his shtick is to make outrageous comments with little regard to facts, and then resorts to playing the race card to make incomprehensible arguments valid.

I have all the time in the world for Amy Lawrence (CBSsports- radio), not because she's a woman, but because she's informed, well prepared, and well versed on topics that she engages in.

I also have time for Hazel Mae, not because she's a woman, but because she knows baseball, she's paid her dues and has worked hard. She's prepared, and informed, and typically gets her point across, quickly and effectively.

Same to be said for Cassie Campbell, she knows hockey, no disputing that, but conversely, I've got no time for Christine Simpson, who is nothing but a glorified puck bunny well past her prime delivering puff pieces.

Do I care there's no cultural diversity on TSN or Sportsnet, clearly, I don't.
Do I care why there's no cultural diversity on TSN or Sportsnet, clearly, no.

That said, if I'm hiring on behalf of TSN or Sportsnet, I'm hiring Suneel Joshi because he's the best talking sports head not currently on-air. He's far and away, better than Ken Reid, Brennan Dunlop, Eric Thomas, Derek Taylor, and/or Bryan Mudryk ever could be.

March 24, 2017 @ 4:53 PM

Marc

Name me a POC sports personality that can beat these guys in the ratings that lives in Canada. That's what its all about, bottom line. Doesn't matter if it's TSN or Sportsnet, when someone starts a podcast or a youtube channel (like Tim and Sid did back in the day) and shows that they can beat these guys on SN or TSN, then the landscape will change. Until then, TSN and SN will bring these guys on to drive ratings and ad revenue. IT has ZERO to do with skin color.

Hockey Night in Canada has POC on and women, a ROGERS PRODUCTION. Sports Centre does as well, a TSN production. Both these companies have a diverse landscape in other areas, radio just hasn't caught up yet

March 24, 2017 @ 4:55 PM

AB to the C

For this discussion, I will shift it more to how I think that sports radio can better relate to the multiculturalism of Toronto. I think this issue is a very complex one. What are the demographics of those pursuing careers in sports broadcasting both culturally and in terms of women today? Also, does age factor into the equation and does it matter? I would think that Walker and Ennis are the only ones in that picture below the age of 40. How diverse would a Toronto College or University have been when Walker was growing up vs that of when Bob Mckown was growing up? The FAN590 continues to remain with an older group of hosts and without having a stats book with me, I would think an older age group is also a less multicultural age group vs that of the younger generation we see today in Toronto.

With my listening habits for the age of the host, I will only change the dial should that host not try to relate to the those outside of their own demographics . Stephen Brunt may have a few years on me but I think he is one of the best in the business. Some broadcasters of another generation will talk endlessly about the greatness of boxing and in turn, insult and/or refuse to give coverage to MMA even though it might acutually result in something called younger, more diverse listeners. I think it is great that the avid boxing fan Brunt ackowledges the popularity of MMA to a younger demographic and praises some of those who put in hard work covering the sport.

I will use the comparison of Tim and Sid with that of Bob McCown. For me, Tim and Sid better relate to a younger and more diverse Toronto. While I do like my 60s and 70s rock music, there is only so much of the musical tastes of Prime Time Sports The Cars Let's Go and Lady Madonna by The Beatles that I can tolerate. On Tim and Sid, I actually hear that genre of music called hip hop which is nice. In terms of issues related to race, I feel that Tim and Sid are more open to discussions on the subject, be it with issues related to broadcasters or athletes who may have been the victim of discrimination. This is not to generalize everyone in that picture as I feel these issues have been discussed by those radio hosts as well but I feel Tim and Sid push the boundaries more. Regardless of the cultural backgrounds of Tim and Sid, I think a multicultural Toronto can feel connected to these hosts because of the issues that they discuss. Sure I would like to see more diversity with the hosts but if the hosts relate to a multicultural Toronto, that is at least one positive. The humour of Tim and Sid only adds to their appeal.

If there is a way for the FAN 590 and I will also add the FAN 960 in Calgary to reach a younger, more diverse Canadian audience it would be to stop taking jabs at basketball. How about trying to have some hosts that are actually knowledgable about the NBA so your arguments on the sport do not sound illogical. Look at the ACC when the Leafs and Raptors are playing and tell me what looks to be the younger, more multicultural fan base. MLS anyone? Or will we continue to hear stories by some about how pathetic that nil nil tie was? The FAN 960 in Calgary talks about how their ratings go down when they talk basketball. Well if you did not make fun of the sport, maybe you might actually get some more listeners. Worldwide appeal with names like Kobe Bryant and Yao Ming might resonate more to immigrants in Canada vs that of Crosby and Ovechkin.

I know everyone will not agree my comments but there they are. Opinions can change over time mind you but these are the impressions I have developed while being an occasional listener of sports radio in Canada. Continue the great work with your site Toronto Mike

March 24, 2017 @ 6:06 PM

j

everyone identifies differently re: what is a POC - I am a person of colour, but i also have light skinned privilege because i am not as dark as another black female, my hair isn't kinky, you can't tell i am black per se. never been an issue for me with hair, or skin tone.

all i want is for my nieces and children to see media that represents them. but i can leave talk radio to these dudes for sure.

i'll hope the movies and tv shows and other forms of media are more reflective of the friends and family that i have surrounding me.

the concept is hard to grasp, again because most people who say "we're all human, it doesn't matter if we are black, brown, blue, purple, yellow" - never have to ask themselves, why the movies and tv shows they watch don't have anyone that looks like them - they always do.

March 24, 2017 @ 7:05 PM

Jason

Rogers cares about pushing their products on the fan590, which is primarily Hockey and Baseball. These two sports tend to lean older, white male. I don't listen anymore, but when I did, it was 90% hockey and baseball. If you like sports like basketball, soccer etc ifan590 is not the station for you.

March 27, 2017 @ 1:37 PM

Anonymous

Is it really an issue? What Toronto sports-related viewpoints are being ignored because of it? Would more women tune in if there were more female voices and viewpoints? Not likely. I'm not sure this a real problem. I think it's more just stirring up controversy for controversy's sake. (That's not a judgment on you, Mike- you were pretty open minded about the issue. Others, however, are definitely trying to stir something up)

April 2, 2017 @ 8:39 AM

Rob J

People that discuss an issue to say it's not worth discussing are fun. (Are you still a regular on the TSM site?)

April 2, 2017 @ 8:21 PM

Tom

Why don't I like McCown? Because he and his sidekicks sound like Don Imus, Charles, Sid and the others. A lot of it is just ego. I'm No. 1 and make millions. What the hell's YOUR excuse? No thanks.

August 23, 2017 @ 9:54 PM

Tom

What if Colin Kaepernick retired and moved to Toronto? Would the FAN hire him? If not, why not? He's informed, and he's not afraid to put his butt on the line for his beliefs. Just because you're a pro athlete DOES NOT mean you give up the right to have opinions and express them. Then again, what do many NFL agents tell their clients? You want the big money? Keep your damn mouth shut.

August 23, 2017 @ 9:59 PM

Rob J

...unless you're Tom Brady (white male) who supports the current US president (9 out of 10 on the a**hole scale)...then it's a-ok!

August 23, 2017 @ 10:32 PM

9 out of 10?

9 out of 10?

You're being much too kind Rob J.

August 23, 2017 @ 11:00 PM

Rob J

I see your point...I'm sure by next week he'll reach 10 comfortably.

Amazing though, that the Patriots actually gave him a Super Bowl ring (!) yet that political statement barely causes a ripple.

August 23, 2017 @ 11:10 PM

Rob J

Five other NFL owners besides the Patriots' Kraft donated a seven-figure cheque to Trump's campaign. Kaepernick's definitely looking more and more like the reasonable one.

August 24, 2017 @ 7:40 PM