Edwin's Wild-Card Walk-Off

What happened in the 11th inning of last night's wild-card game between the Blue Jays and Orioles can be described in a series of tweets.

Edwin Encarnacion's 3-run homer in the 11th inning sealed the deal in a thrilling game at the dome. It was the first playoff walk-off for the Jays since Joe touched 'em all in '93.

edwin

While we're on the topic of last night's thrilling game, a dumbass "fan" embarrassed the city by throwing a can of beer at Orioles outfielder Hyun-Soo Kim. I quickly sent the following tweet.

I thought it was pretty funny and that every Jays fan would get it immediately. I was mostly right about that, but the tweet was RT'd many times and ended up in the feeds of Baltimore fans, less familiar with the Amish looking mafk from KC. Several of them responded as if this was actually the guy who threw the beer can.

Ryan G

When the O's tied it up, I thought our season was up as well. In fact, I made a proclamation a few weeks ago (it's even written on an old timey scroll) that the Jays wouldn't make the playoffs, but I'm very happy to be dead wrong here.

Funny tweet Mike. There is a certain type of dude who throws crap onto a field..rink..court..whatever. We've all met many of them in our time. And he's an even bigger greezball douchebag when he aims it at a player. I'm willing to bet he's the same sort of guy who would live-tv bomb a reporter and yell F H R I T P. Guys like that have been assholes their whole lives, and the only thing that might set them straight is a fine ass-kicking.

October 5, 2016 @ 9:17 AM

Faunie

The "fan" is an idiot but what about the people around him? When the police and Blue Jays personnel attempted to locate the beer can tosser no one around him would give him up! They should have tossed out the whole first row in that section and then perhaps someone would have pointed the finger.
Such disrespect to all the players.

On a happier note, THE home-run was awesome! However I did miss not hearing Buck say " Get up ball, get up!"

October 5, 2016 @ 9:29 AM

The best part of the never-in-doubt homer is that I was hoping for a sac fly.... so Eddy over-delivered.

I still can't believe Showalter didn't go to Britton.

So fun! Bring on the Rangers!

October 5, 2016 @ 9:32 AM

Cambo

I can totally see why he didn't go to Britton- because they're the visiting team. Why would you blow him on nothing but a tie- without knowing when it's going to end? Britton is only good for one or two innings at most. So, you secure your lead- THEN you bring him in for lock-down. You don't bring him into a tie situation when you're the vistiting team.

Did anyone else catch Edwin's interview in the clubhouse? He said- without prompting from Hazel- that he wants to stay in Toronto. Shapiro and clan need to make this happen. Give him a blank check.

And to the douche that threw a beer can? Thanks for tarnishing all of us, asshole.

October 5, 2016 @ 9:42 AM

@Cambo

I get the rule about using your closer on the road in a tie game, but Showalter put Britton in at the dome earlier this season in the ninth inning and kept him in for the tenth and Baltimore won that game.

So he's broken that rule before. This seemed like an odd time to leave the best pitcher in the AL on the bench.

October 5, 2016 @ 9:49 AM

Cambo

@Mike

...not that we're complaining ;)

October 5, 2016 @ 10:09 AM

@Cambo

No, sir!

I figured he was good for two shutout innings, so every time a different reliever entered the game, I breathed a sigh of relief.

October 5, 2016 @ 10:12 AM

Cambo

Yup. Every time he changed relievers I was thinking "please don't be Britton...please don't be Britton".

Then I figured he'd bring him in when Jimenez allowed the 2 singles- and thinking the same thing "please don't bring in Britton"... and he left him in. GIFT.

Onto Texas...which I suspect is going to be a very, very different fight.

October 5, 2016 @ 10:17 AM

Barry

Kinda glad I decided to get tickets for that game.

That was the fourth time, in my recollection, that I've gone to a game on October 4.

The first was in 1985. The Jays needed one win to clinch the east and my dad had two north grandstand tickets left from Dominion. (Back then, you could buy $1.50 tickets at Dominion that were good for any game you wanted to go to.) They had the lead in the ninth with two out when Henke gave up his first home run of the season -- a game-tying home run by Butch Wynegar. They won the next day, but I wasn't at that game.

The second was in 1987. I went down to Detroit with my dad to watch the Jays try to hang on in the AL East. We know how that ended up.

Yesterday was my third October 4th game. My dad passed away a few years ago, but on the way out the door I decided to grab the pin from the university he and I both graduated from and attached it to my jersey. It was my way of taking my dad to the game. I don't have any illusions about hands from above affecting anything, much less the outcome of a baseball game, but it felt good to think about my dad as I finally got to be there for a Jays clinching moment.

October 5, 2016 @ 11:44 AM

Barry

And by "that was the fourth time" I meant "that was the third time."

I'm a little tired this morning.

October 5, 2016 @ 11:47 AM

headsup

Did anyone catch Gibby's in-game comment after Jose's homerun? It was something to the effect that he was glad to see that Jose could be going out with a bang.
I am sure it is no secret that he will not likely be back next year, but it seemed strange to hear someone from the organization make a comment like that while Jose is still under contract.

October 5, 2016 @ 12:25 PM

headsup

P.S. Where's Cheryl?

October 5, 2016 @ 12:27 PM

Ryan G

@Barry. Nice story about your dad. I lost my own father just a few years ago as well, and I do the same little things. Great to have those moments in memory of your pop.

October 5, 2016 @ 1:08 PM

collingwood dave

@ Headsup,she is probably studying the lineup for her new favorite team, the Texas Rangers...

October 5, 2016 @ 1:26 PM

Marty

Where's Rob J at? Is he still out celebrating with the Jays Junkie Cultâ„¢?

October 5, 2016 @ 3:25 PM

Anonymous

@ collingwood dave For sure,and also her other new favorite team ,the winner of the Mets/Giants game tonight.
Who ever wins will be the best,I just know it.

October 5, 2016 @ 6:06 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Definitely wasn't for the faint of heart.

Only comment I have on the Ass hat beer can tosser is why do they give the cans to the fans? It has happened before, maybe they need to go back to just the sloppy beer in the plastic cups?

October 5, 2016 @ 9:17 PM

James Edgar

apparently they found the beer can Douche bag. He works for post media in hamilton if what i saw is correct. No doubt he'll be on the downsize list in the near future.

October 6, 2016 @ 10:51 AM

I've now watched the SkyDome Zapruder film a dozen times and I find it inconclusive. Am I the only one?

October 6, 2016 @ 10:53 AM