Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 180: Jim Van Horne

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 180In this 180th episode, Mike chats with Jim Van Horne about his years as a jock on 1050 CHUM, being the first on-air hire at TSN, leaving TSN for The Team 1050, his years on Sportsnet, his reinvention as a teacher and his recent battle with bladder cancer. This episode is exactly 1:16:44.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Become a Patron

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

andrew

Great Podcast.
Mike, you are getting better with each podcast.
Jim was great, especially talking about 1050 CHUM.

June 17, 2016 @ 10:26 PM

Anonymous

Haven't listened yet. Did you ask him about that piece of human garbage, Frank D'Angelo?

June 17, 2016 @ 11:02 PM

@Anonymous

Aren't you confusing Jim Van Horne with Jim Tatti?

June 17, 2016 @ 11:06 PM

Sam in Pickering

Tremendous.

Another great episode. I loved hearing Jim, especially the 1050 talk and his experience with bladder cancer.

Keep up the great work!

June 18, 2016 @ 9:13 AM

Soctheo

First comment here but long time fan of the page. I love your podcasts Mike. I wonder if u can track down some of the older Muchmusic VJs for future podcasts like Erica Ehm, Master T, Kim Clark Champness or Michael Williams. Denise Donlon would be good too!

June 18, 2016 @ 6:02 PM

@Soctheo

Great idea. The only one I've had on thus far (from the older crew - not counting Ed the Sock or Strombo) is Steve Anthony.

I'll reach out to Master T and Michael Williams tonight. Then, eventually, the others.

June 18, 2016 @ 7:00 PM

Soctheo

Sounds good Mike! I enjoyed the Michael Anthony podcast.

Steve Warden (from q107 Rock report in the 90's), Kim Hughes from 102.1 (live in Toronto) and Elaine Loring (Global News) are also on my wish list for podcasts. Elaine probably has good Bob Macadorey stories. Maybe a couple of actors from the original Degrassi could be good like Mr. Radich. I Look forward to hearing more great podcasts. Good luck!!!

June 18, 2016 @ 8:32 PM

Anon&on

Great guest! Lots of radio dots connected, great stories.
TO Mike scoops! Interesting from beginning to end.

June 19, 2016 @ 8:21 PM

Barry

This was an excellent podcast. I came away from it liking Jim Van Horne a lot -- he came across as a good guy, and having dealt with some cancer diagnoses in our family, the discussion of his health was emotional. Both my wife and I have sat there while a doctor told us we had cancer; in our cases, they were completely treatable cancers, but that moment when you hear the word "malignant" is something you never forget, so when he talked about getting the word from the doctor, I was right there with him. I hope he does all right long-term.

June 21, 2016 @ 2:01 PM

chuck99

Mike, I really enjoyed the podcast. Jim was very concise in his descriptions and comments, so you were able to cover many aspects of his career in just one hour 17 minutes.
I was surprised that 14 years after his dismissal, that due to legal issues, he was unable to talk more about his days at the Team 1050, since the station is now owned by Bell

June 23, 2016 @ 3:18 AM

Al The Royal Pain

Great episode! Jim shared some great stories.

June 24, 2016 @ 8:46 AM