Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 176: Ingrid Schumacher

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 176In this 176th episode, Mike chats with CHUM-FM's Ingrid Schumacher about her 39 years at the station, what's changed in the industry, her broadcast the night John Lennon was shot, Ticketmaster and why she loves radio. This episode is exactly 1:16:30.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Become a Patron

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

dale

1 of your top 3 or 4 podcasts. Ingrid was great.

If you could get Andy Frost that would be awesome as he is a relative with a great family freind of my passed away parents who I still keep in touch with.

June 1, 2016 @ 9:51 PM

brother neil

Loved listening to Ingrid on chumfm since I was a kid recording the latest songs on cassette off the radio. I have fond memories:

-1984ish when they were still heavy on the rock currents but also crossed over into the chum 30 playlist and I could record a clearer FM version of a Springsteen or Van Halen song to make my 'mixtapes'. I think Ingrid did weekends at the time and counted down the chumfm album chart on Sunday morning (1050 had the singles chart on Saturday morning and the preview on Thursday night before the charts were published in the Friday Star)

- 1986 after the famous crash of 1050 Chum. At the time, I just couldn't bring myself to switch to CFTR so I flipped to 104 more frequently and followed Roger to the FM side (I believe Mike Holland and John Majhor carried the torch until June 1986 on AM after Roger left)

- the Lost 80s Lunch when Ingrid inherited middays from Dale O'Neil (I think?) and after many years of weekends and swing finally had a day job and made the show her own! I also remember exchanging emails with her debating the topic of whether Europe's 'The Final Countdown' was actually featured in Rocky IV...yeah I'm not a nerd haha

- the expansion of the Lost 80s format into the brunch and the occasional Lost 80s Long Weekend with intros from various chumfm announcers. Boom has since done a great job with the Totally 80s Long Weekends (sorry Ingrid they are my go-to for an 80's fix nowadays lol)

- the drop of the Lost 80's when stations like EZ Rock and Star 102 (Buffalo) were countering with 'the 80's show' and 'BackTrax USA with Kid Kelly'. Unfortunately, there was a point when the format fizzled and there was no lunch/brunch before it was revived as the 'Back In The Day Brunch' but I remember being so peeved when the programming department cut the show back from 3 hours to 2 more recently...not sure if this was for syndication format purposes?

I had also shared with her when our family's garden was featured many years ago on Mark Cullen's HGTV show and she thought it was cool and taped and watched our clip :) and now she does a gardening blog on chumfm for Sheridan Nurseries, very cool!!

Thanks for being part of Toronto radio history, a 'reel' person and an amazing announcer, Ingrid.

June 2, 2016 @ 12:46 AM

@dale

I reached out to Andy Frost via Facebook and Twitter, but no reply yet.

Correction: StubHub is owned by eBay, not Ticketmaster. I got bad intel.

June 2, 2016 @ 8:32 AM

James Edgar

I've never been a Chum FM person , they were too commercial for me even in the 70's .

I do know of Ingrid Schumacher and have to say her voice is amazing!

So far I'm only 15 minutes in but pretty interesting

June 2, 2016 @ 10:19 AM

Jason from Sudbury

I have to admit, I've never heard Ingrid on the radio because I never listen to Chum. But I'm still looking forward to this podcast just because she's been around so long and I'm sure she's got some interesting and amazing stories.

June 2, 2016 @ 1:23 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Awesome podcast and probably one of my favorites.

June 2, 2016 @ 4:27 PM

Anon&on

Excellent guest! Wow, those soundbites were awesome, love hearing the old concert listings. Oliver Heavyside, Malcolm Thomlinson ...
Looks like Thomlinson just passed away in April.
Instant voice memory hearing Ingrid and Larry Wilson. There may have been a hint of Sudbury in her voice back then. I think Wilson was doing mornings against Pete & Geets towards the end of their run. When P&G were crashing with the whole Chinchilla bit, we'd switch over to Wilson with his weather chimp spinning the weather wheel.

June 2, 2016 @ 5:58 PM

Jody Thornton

@Brother Neil:

Was it Dale Smith? I remember he came from Thunder Bay. I'm trying to remember his name too.

June 3, 2016 @ 5:58 AM

the brother

hi jody, yup you're right Dale Smith.....my bad. where is he now? :)

cheers,
the brother

June 3, 2016 @ 12:28 PM

the brother

jody:

according to RRS, Ingrid came on middays in '99 after Lee Eckley vacated.

my bad, for some reason I thought Dale was in the slot first before leaving chumfm.

apologies to all.