Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 168: Vic Rauter

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 168In this 168th episode, Mike chats with TSN broadcaster Vic Rauter about his years at TSN, the origin of his "make the final" catch phrase, Ron Burgundy, the many sports he's called and the unfortunate corporatization of sports media. This episode is exactly 1:35:32.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Become a Patron

20160419_130741

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

The Voice of Reason

Mike, just listening, Vic Rauter could pass for one of your distant relatives.

April 19, 2016 @ 1:59 PM

Edward

"Exploding butt hole". HA! Awesome stuff Vic Rauter. :D

April 19, 2016 @ 3:43 PM

Aaron

Love it! Make the final!

April 19, 2016 @ 6:02 PM

Andrew

He's one of the best in my opinion. Someone who can do it all when asked do it. He knows his voice is his tool and learned how to use it and control it. He's also a genuinely wonderful human being.

He always makes the people he works with better. He talked about giving way to the analyst - to let them describe what is happening or happened. I'll give you a great example of that from a few years ago. We were doing boxing at The Gardens (new MAC facility at the old MLG) and Vic was hosting with three analysts who had never done TV before and were nervous as all hell. They knew the sport, but didn't know anything about TV. Vic talked with them for what seemed like hours before our open hit to get them comfortable talking. You could see and hear him leading them to where they needed to be. It was quite remarkable to watch. During the broadcast you hear Vic leading them to talk - he would phrase questions in such a way as to make the analysts talk- it was like he was egging them on, but in a totally good way.

I love doing curling with him. As Vic said on the podcast, some of the guys on the crew have been there for as long as Vic has. It's a very tight knit family who knows the sport, knows the curlers and when that happens you get great coverage.

Thanks for having Vic on Mike.

Cheers,
Andrew

April 20, 2016 @ 9:04 AM

m m

Mike, big high-five for this, and great interview. Really great flow here. And a special big thank you for asking my question.

April 20, 2016 @ 2:56 PM

Anon&on

Good interesting insider commentary and opinion. Didn't shy away from any topics, just talked rationally about the state of media.

Mike, did you change your intro? The 'often with a Toronto flavour' was missing.

April 20, 2016 @ 5:36 PM

@Anon&on

I dropped that line heading into 2016 so I could fit in the line about Great Lakes Brewery.

I'm just glad I've figured out how to pronounce 'brewery'.

April 20, 2016 @ 5:38 PM

Rob J

Just too bad the Edna Garrett streak had to end

April 20, 2016 @ 6:20 PM

fourteen

Andrew, I enjoy your comments. Informative insights from the inside and behind the scenes.

April 20, 2016 @ 8:24 PM

fourteen

Mike, future guest suggestion; Andrew. And, if possible, the elusive, reclusive Elvis.

April 20, 2016 @ 8:30 PM

fourteen

Mike, I am a 100%'er. And I didn't recall those podcasts. I fear for my brain's future. Jeebus, is this what aging means?

April 20, 2016 @ 8:51 PM

@fourteen

And Elvis will be back... even though he's yet to appear in 2016. The last time he was scheduled to come on I had to cancel.

April 20, 2016 @ 9:12 PM

andrew

@Mike

Andrew from TSN/Sporstnet would be a great podcast.
Awesome with Vic.

April 20, 2016 @ 9:18 PM

Andrew

Hey all...

I appreciate the request(s) to come back and chat with Mike and he knows I'm more than happy to always come over and shoot this $hit. Mike has (had) such a great lineup of guests lately that I'm really enjoying listening to all of them. I think the next time I'll be on it, it'll be because something big has happened in radio or TV and I need to vent - see my Indie 88 episode :)

I'm always available when Mike asks - please keep listening to his show too!!

Cheers,
Andrew

April 20, 2016 @ 10:48 PM

Andrew will be back on, I just wanted people to know there are three episodes of him waiting for you in the archives!

April 21, 2016 @ 9:34 AM