Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 167: Retrontario

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 167In this 167th episode, Mike chats with Retrontario about Gord Martineau, Jennifer Peck Valentyne, the Amber Alert, Hammy Hamster, Blinky, Elmer the Safety Elephant, Uncle Bobby, Heather Conkie, Ron Oliver, Sam Taylor, Magic Shadows, Seeing Things and much, much more. This episode is exactly 1:22:07.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Become a Patron

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Elephant

Holy crap, that's quite a list of memory-triggering names. This might be my favourite episode ever, and I haven't even listened to it yet.

Though any talk of Uncle Bobby will remind me of the creepiness of Bimbo the Birthday clown and those creepy swinging dolls. I literally had nightmares about being chased by Bimbo and the dolls. I used to wake up screaming. My parents had to stop letting me watch the show for a while.

April 13, 2016 @ 4:04 PM

@Elephant

The Bimbo the Birthday Clown jingle is played in this episode.

And Retrontario drops some tremendous nuggets about our Uncle Bobby.

April 13, 2016 @ 4:14 PM

Elephant

I'll take that as a trigger warning.

April 13, 2016 @ 4:20 PM

If anyone wants to hear Retrontario's first appearance on Toronto Mike'd, and why wouldn't you, it's here: http://www.torontomike.com/2015/04/toronto_miked_podcast_episode_117.html

April 13, 2016 @ 5:14 PM

Rob J

Wow, that was great! Thanks for the 'Seeing Things' clip. It really is a heckuva tune and the show was fantastic. Like retrontario said, it was ahead of its time, but for teenaged me, it was must-see-TV, even though the CBC only aired 8 episodes per year. Another great TM episode!

April 13, 2016 @ 5:17 PM

Argie

I was at that final 1989 game at Exhibition Stadium. I remember there wasn't much of a big deal made about it - as there was later for MLG in 1999. Understandably so.

April 14, 2016 @ 12:11 PM

Anon&on

I'm going with rEDtrontario.
I had warm nostalgic memories of the Magic Shadows theme, but... without the visuals, it was super weird and unpleasant. Dr. Who theme always creeped me out too, and I never got into the show because of that.

April 15, 2016 @ 8:00 PM

Pete

All of those topics bring back memories... can't wait to hear the podcast.
Did Seeing Things star Louis DelGrande? Bald guy?
His name just popped into my head!

April 15, 2016 @ 8:25 PM

Greg in Clarkson

The Tears for Fears song you were trying to come up with: Sowing the Seeds of Love?

April 16, 2016 @ 11:06 AM

Not in Toronto

Good discussion. However as someone who grew up in the London area I am disappointed in how you think that "Retrontario" is a Toronto thing. Back before cable TV was mainstream the closest thing going we had to Toronto TV was a fledgling Global transmitting from Paris Ontario. We had local TV from London and Kitchener each with their own cast of local characters. Big Al had weekday cartoons and weekends talent show comes to mind. I know Toronto born people think that Toronto is the centre of the universe but a 2 hour drive will open to eyes.

September 25, 2016 @ 2:00 PM

James Edgar

@ Not In Toronto. I think the "Toronto is the centre of the Universe " thing is a bit over done , Most of us who live here know just how great things are outside the city.

Having said that.. how could you possibly disappointed that Toronto Mike's Podcast is kind of Toronto Centric?

September 26, 2016 @ 12:24 PM