Greg Brady and Jeff Sammut Fired from Sportsnet 590 The Fan

Rogers Media said they were cutting 200 jobs this quarter. They started last week, promising to finish as soon as possible, and today they delivered pink slips to two popular Fan 590 personalities.

Gone are Greg Brady from Brady & Walker and longtime utility host Jeff Sammut. It looks like 590 will air a show entitled Sportsnet Today The Andrew Walker Show from 1-4. No word yet on whether Sportsnet Today includes Andrew Walker, although that's highly likely considering he's still employed by the station.

Greg Brady visited my home on May 14, 2014. He appeared on episode 76 of my podcast, Toronto Mike'd, and he was entertaining, honest and an ideal guest. Part of what I like about Brady is that he doesn't pull punches. During this episode, he was brutally honest about why it didn't work out with former co-host Jim Lang. Recently, he went off on TSN Radio, which caused Mike Richards to strike back during his episode of Toronto Mike'd. Brady was always honest, perhaps too honest, but it made for interesting radio.

I knew Brady had rode in the Ride to Conquer Cancer, so when I was training for my first ride, I'd call Brady up and grill him with questions. He was very helpful.

Here's episode 76 with Greg Brady, if you missed it the first time.

Jeff Sammit visited my home on December 11, 2015. He appeared on episode 149 of my podcast, and it was a pleasure. When we finished recording, I looked at the software and saw it had crashed at the 1:02 mark. Luckily, I didn't lose that 1:02, but I had an episode without an ending. He was more than happy to re-record our last bit about his love of the Yankees and I learned a valuable lesson about recording software.

Here's episode 149 with Jeff Sammut.

This is a terrible time for members of the mainstream media. There are few options, and everyone is cutting staff. If it's not Bell Media or Rogers Media announcing cuts, it's Corus or CBC or Postmedia. Heck, CHCH fired everybody, just ask Mark Hebscher. Few are safe, job security is rare and good people who do good work are reduced to expendable numbers.

What an unfortunate state of affairs.

Jason from Sudbury

Wow, that's just crazy. Heard Greg Brady on the air this afternoon, didn't see this coming. As for Jeff Sammut, I enjoyed listening to him, hopefully he'll land on his feet soon.

February 10, 2016 @ 8:45 PM

Max power

Don't feel sorry any of these Rogers guys. The network is full of hacks and has beens. Who in their right mind would rehire gord stellick?? Brady sucks, glad he was fired, cybulski sucks should be fired, romanuck is the worst, Kevin Quinn? And ken Reid is an insufferable bore. McCown, brunt, cox and the hockey guys are good. After that it's a losers network. As bad as tsn is I have no choice. I stopped watching leaf games because of Paul romanuck.

February 10, 2016 @ 9:58 PM

Patrick

Under "Shows", the FAN lists "The Andrew Walker Show" in place. I see Sportsnet Today on the schedule as you do though. I have little respect to Brady, who was rude to me on social media then blocked me- but I am saddened by the Sammut departure.

February 10, 2016 @ 10:23 PM

Chris

Wow, Max, you seem like an awesome guy.

February 10, 2016 @ 10:27 PM

Il Duce

I'm never happy when anyone loses their job but not when it comes to people like Brady. He seemed like one of those assholes who believes they're the smartest person in the room when at the end of day all they are is just an asshole.

Sorry Mike but there is a difference between honest and nasty, Brady was the latter.

I'll never forget the time when Chuck Swirsky left the FAN to go back to Chicago. Brady went on the air and destroyed Chuck, shredded him. Meanwhile Chuck had to leave because of the personal storm he was going through at the time. Yet there goes Brady just destroying him on air. Review your interview with Mike Richards where he talks of Brady and how he should be careful of what he says.

The firing of Brady could not have happened to a more deserving person!

February 11, 2016 @ 6:43 AM

Nick

In all my many years Of following Toronto media, I never understood why anyone would be happy at somebody losing their job. I do something that's different, when I don't like somebody on the radio, I switch the station. I don't hope that the person is fired.

February 11, 2016 @ 6:46 AM

Argie

Unlike many I enjoyed listening to Brady. I didn't always agree with him but he brought energy to his show. He also knew his stuff and was entertaining - something that is lacking in media today.

No doubt, he rubbed many people the wrong way with his sarcasm and honesty - but for me that's what made me want to listen.

February 11, 2016 @ 8:19 AM

It indeed looks like the 1-4pm show will be The Andrew Walker Show.

February 11, 2016 @ 8:23 AM

Alex

To those who have come on here to post they are happy that Brady got fired, you are the absolute scum of this planet. If you don't like someone, that's fine. But to revel in someone's loss of a job means you have a certain kind of sickness. As if this person attacked you and ruined your life. I feel sad for you.

He "was rude to me on social media." Do you not see how whiny you sound? It also seems clear that most don't understand the term "radio personality."

But whatever - hope you have a great weekend, content in your own self-satisfaction.

February 11, 2016 @ 8:52 AM

Il Duce

Sorry Alex, I've never met Brady but he comes across as a nasty human being. He has hid behind the guise of 'honesty' to hack away at others in the biz on several occasions.

Case in point, eight years ago Chuck Swirsky left Toronto for personal reasons. Years later Chuck reveals why he left and the turmoil he was going through at the time of his departure. But when Chuck left I'll never forget Brady going on air and pissing all over Swirsky, completely destroys him. At that time I thought it was unfair of Brady to do so and thought even less of him upon learning of the personal storm Chuck was going through at the time.

So, sometimes nasty people deserve what’s coming to them and based on what I've been reading on other sites, a lot of people agree.

February 11, 2016 @ 9:24 AM

@Il Duce

Is it safe to say you're not sending Greg Brady lasagna?

February 11, 2016 @ 9:36 AM

Rob

Apparently, Brian of Indie 88 is longer with the station as well.

February 11, 2016 @ 9:54 AM

Alex

So someone deserves to lose their job because you don't like their on air persona? Even though by your own admission, you've never met him?

Chuck Swirsky was a cartoon character on the radio - totally out of his element (but great on basketball broadcasts). I'd never be happy if he lost his job.

Radio people get into the business knowing they have a limited shelf life - getting fired is part of the deal. Getting satisfaction from someone losing their job is well beyond that.

Also, it's great that you've found a number of internet trolls who support your view - that's really saying something. Unfortunately, the actual facts - the ratings - do not.

February 11, 2016 @ 9:56 AM

Patrick M

@Alex Did I once say I was happy he got fired? I never root for anyone to lose their job. I Simply said he was rude to me on social media, and therefore I lost a lot of respect for the guy. I hope the guy lands on his feet, but I don't have to listen. And yeah, he called me out personally very rudely on the B&W Twitter as well. Being a "radio personality" doesn't mean being awful to your fans- Dan Patrick strikes me as a very nice guy, and he's the number one "personality" on the radio in North America.

Also- We could be "scum of the planet" over an opinion? Please.

February 11, 2016 @ 10:16 AM

Patrick M

Also- We could be "scum of the planet" over an opinion? Please.

February 11, 2016 @ 10:16 AM

Alex

I'll defend anyone's right to an opinion - like Brady, or hate Brady, I don't care. But there are several who posted here that they are happy that someone lost their job, and yes, that's bottom of the trash can behaviour.

February 11, 2016 @ 10:35 AM

Il Duce

Brady on air dumped on others while taking glee in their demise - fact. Not happy when bad things happen to others, especially when people lose their jobs however when bad things happen to bad people, I'm okay with it.

Good ratings doesn't excuse poor on air behaviour... Mr. Ghomeshi had great ratings too.

February 11, 2016 @ 11:12 AM

Alex

Wow, so you're equating someone who is before the courts for assaulting women with someone who has a personality that rubs you the wrong way?

Your criteria for what makes someone a "bad guy" is pretty fast and loose, no?

February 11, 2016 @ 11:36 AM

Mel Preston

I'm sad to hear this. I really liked Brady & Walker in the morning. Actually still miss that. Not a fan of Dean's morning show - and was kind of hoping that experiment would be replaced by putting Brady and Walker back in the mornings.

Huge gap in morning sports radio here in TO. Nothing I can listen to.

February 11, 2016 @ 11:42 AM

Il Duce

Not comparing the two but to your point about actual facts (ie good ratings) excusing poor on air behaviour in the case of Brady imho.

February 11, 2016 @ 12:10 PM

Il Duce

...and I didn't know Swirsky either but didn't like how Brady ripped him(and many others), seemed nasty then. After having learned what Chuck went through during his departure from Toronto made Brady look unprofessional and just downright evil.

February 11, 2016 @ 12:22 PM

Samuel Minnella

Max power worked for the Fan for 100 years and has a lot of bitterness toward the station. His reputation in the radio business has a bigger dent than Greg Brady, who is also not well-liked. Unless you are McCown, can't be awful to people unless you can back it up like Bob does.

February 11, 2016 @ 1:11 PM

TheRealDeal

Their salaries must've crept up past $40,000/year...time to go!

Bring back Sam & Ted....radio-only listeners miss you!

As for the "Swirsk"...he would have butchered any athlete for going home for "family" reasons, then the wife said "Let's go" he said "Yes dear."
Salami and Cheese! KaBosh!

What's with these manly athletes caring what their family thinks? Family? Really? Get out of here! Anyone who cites family reasons is pussy-whipped and not due praise for masculine accomplishments...Shane Doan? Phoenix or nothing? Really? Steve Nash? My kids, my kids. Really? Mike Weir? Really?

Jeter and Sundin did it right, single until retirement. Those are real (smart) men.

Feel sorry for Sammut and Brady, once again destinies in the hands of corporate masters who are seemingly never held to account for their ridiculous programming decisions, simply shuffled to other portfolios.
Bunch of swallowing yes-men, reminds me of NHL and NFL hierarchy.

February 11, 2016 @ 2:40 PM

Walter from Woodstock

what do/did the ratings look like for the Fan590 shows? Personally, I can't imagine that the Blundell show was doing better than the Brady/Walker tandem.

When they brought Blundell in, didn't they try to push Brady out then too? Walker was going to the afternoon slot and they didn't know who his partner(s) was going to be...Brady didn't know what he was going to be doing...(if i recall that correctly)

Again, personally, the Brady/Walker show was becoming hard to listen to since the departure of Anthopoulis (sp?). I think it was Brady that attacked the 'other networks' and 'reporters' for them questioning how Rogers could let him go, etc. Regardless, 'defending the shield' wouldn't have gotten him in this sort of trouble, but still - the show has become difficult to listen to.

PrimeTime is the only bearable show on the Fan 590, and that's largely due to the guests that Bob has on.

I'd be curious to know what the ratings have looked like for each of the shows, recently... where does one find those?

February 11, 2016 @ 3:09 PM

@Walter from Woodstock

When Blundell got the morning show, Brady was always going to 1-4 but Walker was originally going to stay on the morning show with Blundell.

Then, they decided to keep Brady and Walker together at 1-4.

February 11, 2016 @ 3:12 PM

Walter from Woodstock

@Toronto Mike - thanks - I wasn't sure if I had that right, I could never keep them straight :-)

how about ratings, where would someone find those numbers?

February 11, 2016 @ 3:44 PM

John

Brady was a real ego maniac in the halls...wouldn't look you in the eye when talking, and just all around I have to say a pretty shitty team player to work with. Ask the Fan staff....I still work in the building

February 11, 2016 @ 4:20 PM

Jay

Ever since the Gm change about 5 years ago, the Fan has been on a downward trend. Outside of Jeff Blaire and the ever popular Bob Mcown, it really isn't that great to listen to. Tim & Sid were entertaining but have moved to TV. Andrew Crystal, remember that experiment in the morning? Replaced Landry and Stellick, at least they were funny and entertaining. The Dangle dial? Worst 30 seconds in radio. Maybe it's time to replace the guy that's replacing everybody, because he apparently doesn't do HIS job very well.

February 11, 2016 @ 5:05 PM

KevinJ.

It's never great to see someone lose their job especially when they have young kids like Brady, but.....he was un-listenable on the air. How many times do we have to listen to another Detroit story?! And as someone mentioned, Brady is the smartest guy in the room, just ask him and he will tell you, I guess a Western U. degree does that for you. Outside of that he was a total suck when Blundell took over too, he was never on board and really not the team player like Stellick was when he was fired.

Really, the only ones on the air for the Fan worth your time is Blair and McCowan, the rest are blah. Even the hockey guys outside of Freidman are stale too. In the past few years there is a long list of on air talent turfed and it seems any new decision is the wrong one.

February 11, 2016 @ 5:34 PM

Anon&on

pretty sure I predicted Walker was going to be last man standing.

H&F have the death chair, Mike has the pink slip chair.

February 11, 2016 @ 7:12 PM

@Anon&on

Haha.. I have lots of media people on, the very same industry that shrinks every month.

It's a numbers game....

February 11, 2016 @ 7:27 PM

Justin

Remember when the FAN was Brady/Walker - Jeff Blair - HC @ Noon - Tim&Sid - PTS? That was the BEST sports radio lineup I have ever heard in this city. Bar none. Then Don Kollins totally made a mess of things. They want Tim&Sid on TV? Great! WHY did you replace them with the BEST morning show the FAN has had since the 1990s? Leave em be! And WHY did you then have to replace them with the wretched Dean Blundell? I used to listen to the FAN every morning, but I honestly think I've tuned into Blundell's show ONCE since he's been on the air. Blundell has turned me into a loyal but reluctant Mike Richards listener. Now Brady gets canned and the duo is gone forever, when they should have been left alone as the morning show hosts.

Enjoy San Francisco Don "not my real name" Kollins. You made a mess of things and the ONLY show I listen to on the FAN now is PTS. Otherwise it's 1050 all the time. Never thought I'd be saying that 2 years ago!

February 12, 2016 @ 6:00 AM

Rod

@Jay
"Maybe it's time to replace the guy that's replacing everybody, because he apparently doesn't do HIS job very well."

He is a her, and nobody is sure why she is still there.

February 12, 2016 @ 8:20 AM

@Rod

Isn't it Dave Cadeau?

February 12, 2016 @ 8:23 AM

Saylem

With the amount of $ Rogers threw into the nhl rights...it's no wonder they must cut costs drastically
...

February 12, 2016 @ 1:35 PM

Anonymous

Sorry to see him go... Wish best for him...

February 12, 2016 @ 2:40 PM

Anonymous

Sorry to see him go... Wish best for him...

February 12, 2016 @ 2:40 PM

RD

I'm a Brady fan... but I have to imagine he wishes he didn't go on air and publicly blast TSN Radio many times over the past few months. He could have been "the guy", there.

February 12, 2016 @ 10:05 PM

anon

Alex must also have lost his job for how else can u explain his constant rebuttals to people who have their OWN opinion of the matter.

4 posts.

Too much time on your hands, get a job Alex.

February 13, 2016 @ 10:57 AM

The Big Ate

Worked with Greg Brady at his first gig in radio. We all knew he was going to be a huge star in the industry. Bright, enthusiastic, very knowledgeable and a really nice guy.

Sad to see Rogers treat him like this. For the whiny bitch above who claims to have no respect for Greg because Brady was rude to him on social media, chances are, you earned it.

February 13, 2016 @ 11:34 PM

Greg

just think it's ridiculous that a knowledgable guy like Brady gets gassed yet a useless pilon like pj stock keeps his job ... he's not funny he's not smart ... why isn't Rogers cutting a guy like THIS? don't even get me started on Healy

February 15, 2016 @ 1:17 PM

Uncledropsi

So that's what happened to the 1-4 Brady & Walker.... The relationship analogies though useful at times, came out more often than I'd wish to hear 'em, but I still feel bad to hear that Brady got the axe... May you land on your feet quickly, Sir. Maybe I see ya around in the Realm of Cycling

February 15, 2016 @ 7:28 PM

MadBarker2000

I liked Greg Brady better in the morning slot on Fan 590. Way better than Dean Blundell. That guy should be the next to go...I heard Brady's ratings were better than Blundell's in the morning drive slot. Yet Brady gets the pink slip and Blundell remains? Perhaps the problem at Fan 590 is upper management, not the on-air talent...

February 16, 2016 @ 10:04 AM

roc

That's too bad Brady lost his job. Tim and Sid need to come back 1-4pm.

February 16, 2016 @ 1:19 PM

William

This was not really a surprise to me.. I wasn't entirely crazy about Brady &Walker in the morning..then to hear ..they were taking the aft slot from Tim &Sid..
The new morning show with Dean Blundell I quite like funny .. opinionated ..inforformative.. but like Tim &Sid.. it takes some getting used to.
As for Greg Brady..it's unfortunate that some lose their jobs and I never wish anybody that.. but the show was just Blah Blah Bluh.. quickly.

February 16, 2016 @ 1:57 PM

Chris

I couldn't agree more with Il Duce.

Greg Brady was an epic douche. His knowledge was mediocre and he loooooooved to listen to himself talk. The guy was cutting off guests left right and centre or asking a question and part answering the question for the guy.

I love sports talkshow guys with an edge. That guy was just a dick.

People on here are boo-hoo-hooing "how dare you be happy he lost his job!?". Nobody is 'happy' he lost his job, we're happy that he's no longer on the air!

At the end of the day, I could have gotten well past all that stuff IF the show was ANYwhere near the quality of Tim and Sid. It was ridiculous move by Rogers to move Tim and Sid up against McCown.

Midday I don't mind a bit of fun/humour with my sports radio. But by later afternoon, I am ready for McCown and good sports discussion. Case in point, that session yesterday with Bryan Colangelo was fantastic. Great questions, even better responses by Colangelo, no fluff, just a great informative session.

Brady and Walker were a minimal amount of sizzle....and ZERO steak.

The fact is...Andrew Walker is marginally better than Brady. To his credit, he put up with Brady, who seemed like he was always seconds away from picking a fight with Walker, so perhaps there is some hope that Walker than get to the next level of quality. To give him his own show is a horrible misstep though. He's done nothing to deserve that, or to prove that he has the ability to do that.

February 16, 2016 @ 2:09 PM

Samuel Minnella

Kollins' job was on the line, and his final act was hiring Dean. Don had a huge mancrush on Blundell and saw an opportunity to get him. Strange considering Don and Greg had a strong relationship. That also may explain why Kollins went to the Bay area to bring his brand of "great" sports talk radio.

The current PD at The Fan is driven to go up the corporate ladder. He isn't ready for it nor can he solve the problem The Fan is about to face post-McCown. The success of the Blue Jays allowed him to keep his job for now.

February 16, 2016 @ 2:18 PM

Jay bourt

"had rode" - are you kidding? You should be fired next.

February 16, 2016 @ 2:22 PM

jay bour

Good riddance to the show. It was an exercise in mediocrity. The lack of spontaneity, the endless monologues to start a segment, the excruciatingly juvenile repartee, the insipid attempts at wit - all these were contributing factors to the show's demise. I'm amazed that it lasted as long as it did.

February 16, 2016 @ 2:28 PM

William

CONCUR ... Jay Bour.

February 16, 2016 @ 3:03 PM

William

I think Dean and his little gang of Greassys are great !! It enjoy listening every morning...Laughing my ass off. HABS SUCKKKKKK !!!!!LOL

February 16, 2016 @ 3:20 PM

Nate

Most annoying, thin-skinned radio personality in Toronto, Greg Brady.

Taking pot shots at other media members and other media outlets proves that point. Even got in a pissing match with a Toronto Sun columnist (Strobel). Anyone remember that one?

His holier-than-thou routine was old a long time ago.
If you didn't hear that bleed thru the radio, you weren't listening closely enough.

What's so wrong with being content not to hear this blowhard anymore?
He'll land on his feet somewhere, just hopefully nowhere near my ears.
Show was terrible with him, will be just as bad without him.

February 16, 2016 @ 4:21 PM

Daniel

I'm always curious as to the timing when moves like these are made. In this case AFAIK there wasn't a recent ratings book to try and justify these dismissals was there?

Seems to me someone higher up the food chain at Rogers was looking at the expenses and decided to make reductions (Jeff Samut struck me as a decent fill in host, but was never someone I would go out of my way to listen to)

As regards to Greg Brady, Unfortunately due to the nature of my job listening in the afternoon is not a possibility so when Brady and Walker were moved to that slot from the morning shift I was quite disappointed as I enjoyed them in the mornings.

Not having heard first hand the rants that Brady went off on I can only say that as long as he is at peace with what he said and the consequences (Brady surely knew that throwing grenades at the competition, whether accurate or not, was a sure fire way to ensure that bridges were burnt to a cinder) who are we to judge him for that?

As Ye Sow, So Shall Ye Reap

February 16, 2016 @ 7:08 PM

Dixon Muff

I'm very sorry to see Greg Brady go. I started listening to him in the mornings and I especially liked the "worst tweet of the day". Then I listened to him and Walker in the afternoons.

He was quick and witty and I loved the 80's and 90's culture references, one of the best on the radio, sorry to see you go, you will be missed.

February 17, 2016 @ 11:15 AM

Don

How does Brady get fired when Jeff Blair is still on the radio. Blair loves to hear himself speak, and while he is talking, he usually picks out something he says as being very smart, and keeps repeating it all show long. If you listen to him for more than 10 min. you will hear him repeat himself about 15 times. I have to turn the dial when he comes on

February 17, 2016 @ 1:41 PM

Fred-Barrie

Dons comments on Jeff Blair are so true it's scary. I've listened to this station since it went all sports. Jeff will go down as the all time worst ever.

February 17, 2016 @ 2:50 PM

Ron Kennedy

Glad to see Brady gone. He would never take a breath as though he was being paid by the word. And all he spewed was an assault of crap. Poor Andrew Walker having to listen to it I chose just to turn the radio off at noon to 4 PM every day so I didn't have to listen to those ego maniac buffoons other than Kypreos on 'Hockey Central', either.

And like some others here I agree that Brady thought he was the smartest guy in the room and had conquered big market radio. But he was just an insufferable A-hole. I would also fire the clown who hired him.

Also want to offer that somebody must have tuned up Bob McCown as well because he acts like less of a c--t to those around him than he used to. Seems he actually watches some games now. I remember when he was quite proud of himself for not watching. Too big a deal to watch, I gather.

And joey Vendetta is still gets work around there...........i mean really.........Gimme a break ........you can't do better than that?

The FAN lineup is pathetic these days. I listen to Jeff Blair , McCown and Roger Lajoie. That's it.

Jeff Sammut, I'll miss. Heknew his stuff and put forth an honest effort and was obviously respected by many of his guests.

February 17, 2016 @ 3:31 PM

Tucks

Unfortunate forsure but it's a ruthless business. Now it's time for George Rusic to start packing his boxes. Destroying the morning show

February 17, 2016 @ 5:50 PM

steve

Sorry to see Brady go. Not familiar with his beefs with TSN or any personality in particular.
Swirsky flat out sucked. Tim and Sid are the worst combo ever. Thank Christ they arent on radio. Its like Mccown calls them "idiots". And Rogers gives them that TV set? Lmao
I remember Mcillaef when he was with The Score. He was good. Sid is unlistenable..shoulda been born a mute.
Blairs arrogance oozes outta the speakers for crying out loud.
TSN is unlistenable...so its 590.
Cmon Spring training.
Go Jays go!

February 18, 2016 @ 11:03 AM

Vic

I frankly enjoyed Brady on the morning show. But I seldom listened once they moved to the afternoon. It was not that I didn't like him or Walker... although many of the comments above are valid criticisms...I am not a fan of Dean and his crew on the morning show, and since Blundell went on the air I moved up the radio dial in the morning, and seldom moved it back.

I have been listening to the FAN for many years, faithfully. Although they may have a "stronger" stable of talent now, the overall product is marginally better. Their competition has improved dramatically. I no longer choose who to listen to based on who I like better....now its based on who I dislike least.

I am not outraged nor happy with the dismissal of Greg Brady. But I don't think they have really improved the radio station in any noticeable way.

Let's not forget Jeff Sammut...he may not have been the station's superstar, but he was respected enough to fill in for almost everyone!

February 18, 2016 @ 1:25 PM

kevin

I grew up in St.Thomas and lived in Windsor for 9 years and now in Hamilton so Ive sort of taken the journey with Greg Brady from his London years to Detroit WDFN AM1130 and then Toronto. He's a great listen. Loves me some London and Detroit stories.

February 18, 2016 @ 3:42 PM

david

I hope somebody from the Fan 590 brass is reading this because I want you to know that I did something two weeks ago I have not done in over two decades of listening to your station....I changed the dial. Dean Blundell is the worst morning show host of all time!! McCown, Derringer, Marsden, Landry, Stellick, Brady, Walker, Krystal (yes, even Andrew Krystal), etc. are all preferred to Blundell. He has no clue about sports, he is long-winded, he is a duffus, and he cannot conduct a competent interview, though he does do a good impression of a drunken Englishman. Despite the latter talent it was not enough to prevent me from changing the dial, and I will not be tuning back in for morning drive until Blundell is gone. His partner George Russik is even worse if such a thing is possible.

McCown is still pure gold and though I was never a huge Greg Brady fan I could tolerate him. When he was partnered with Jim Lang he dominated the mic and was mostly insufferable. He was better when Andrew Walker became his sidekick, though I put this down as much to Walker's talent as to Brady himself.

Please, oh pretty please, get rid of Dean Blundell now--I am not listening until that fool is gone.

A loyal two decade + listener.

February 18, 2016 @ 7:19 PM

tim

have to agree with david
dean blundell is a joke no knowledge of sports at all very insulting also
can't say much about mike richards in the morning either
now tsn is changing their schedule dave naylor michael landesberg in the morning can you say crash & burn ????

it is true you must choose the best of two evils in most time slots now in toronto sports radio
it is true brady never shut up & he & his partner would fight like 2 girls
it was very classless when he ran down tsn on air
used to really like brian hayes but now he is very insulting & keeps pushing his own opinion
leafs lunch becoming 2 hrs of hearing about their personal lives I TUNE INTO HEAR ABOUT SPORTS!!!!!!!!!!
heres an idea give ray ferraro his own show hayes always backs down when ray challenges him
mccown is on easy street now going against those guys

but the worst of all is mike wilner the baseball expert
it really is a sad state of affairs when you have to keep changing the dial

February 18, 2016 @ 8:07 PM

kevin

It's bad enough I have to listen to Jeff Blair in the mornings ever since AM 550 dropped Colin Cowherd...But now no Greg Brady? Im sorry but Walker cant do 3 hrs alone in the afternoon. He needed Brady.
I on the road all day and am tired of all the changes for nothing.
Thank god for Jim Rome and Funny 820.

February 18, 2016 @ 8:40 PM

Gus

Better Brady than Walker if you have to choose someone to give the bullet to. I was listening the day Brady went off about how horrible tsn/bell was for saying things about the Blue Jays and Rogers. (we have all the content baseball hockey .. and you guys are reduced to a 2nd rate outfit cfl network) I thought you better not get fired coz you just chopped off a huge amount of job opportunities in one stupid loud mouth swoop. He'll be ok didn't Walker always kind of tease him that his wife had a better job than he did anyways. I really never got why the network would take Dumb and Dumber out of the 1-4 and put them up against their strongest show PTS?

If they are still looking to gas some ppl get rid of Grange, Madani and please cut Healy's mike.

February 19, 2016 @ 3:53 PM

Derek Johnston

We should all watch maxs show.. im sure its very intelligent and worthwhile..

February 22, 2016 @ 12:30 PM

ledoG

i think Brady and Walker were good foils for one another, and i hated that they had to move time slots to make way the not-funny-at-all Dean Blundell. i don't have any strong opinions about Sammut, his departure was unknown to me until i found this thread.

what really bugs me is that guy above who hates Ken Reid. not sure how that's possible, or maybe you just have to be "of a certain age" to get why he's so great. i had no distinct opinion of Ken Reid, TV Sportscaster until i came across Ken Reid, Radio Personality. THAT guy is comedic gold!

February 22, 2016 @ 3:41 PM

Ray

Greg Brady was a horrible radio personality. He tried too hard to be funny and was a complete geek. Glad he's gone.

February 22, 2016 @ 4:06 PM

Ray

Will miss Sammut. He was good.

February 22, 2016 @ 4:09 PM

Damian

Walker and Brady in the mornings imho was a terrible show. Listening to them made me get into the Mike Richards show which was decent at best. Greg Brady came across the airwaves as an arrogant know it all, which is not the worst quality (MCCown) but your show has to be of a high quality. The shifting at TSN/Sporstnet hopefully will lead to better overall quality on the radio and Brady is just one of those personalities that needed to go.

February 22, 2016 @ 5:08 PM

pat

I seen it coming Brady is horrible walker is not far behind...just a boring show with a lot of sarcasm..good call rogers

February 23, 2016 @ 11:26 AM

Ted

Sports commentary is a very tough gig but at the end of the day only Bob McCown, Jeff Blair, Elliott Friedman, Stephen Brunt and Michael Grange say anything worth listening to. Jeff Sammut was embarrassing.

February 23, 2016 @ 5:55 PM

About time

I like many others posted here don't want to see anyone loose their job

But I agree that Brady had to go. I purposely turned off 590 to 680 or 1050 between 1-4 in hopes that they would make a change.

He's got to loose the overly exaggerated radio voice, it grated on me. Agree with the previous poster...waaay to sarcastic. Not to mention it sounded like he had an erection any time he talked NFL.

February 23, 2016 @ 11:24 PM

Mark

I thought Brady was okay, and let's never be happy when anyone gets fired. As for the pathetic and juvenile Dean Blundell, now i can't ask for him to be fired. Perhaps switched to the midnight shift? Cable 10 talkshows?

February 24, 2016 @ 2:00 PM

Brenda

Rogers is a joke. Brady and Sammut are both excellent broadcasters. And they keep clowns like Dean Blundell and Ben Ennis. Blundell is useless to anyone who wants to hear a show that borderline on intelligence and has legitimate views on sports news, instead of uneducated fan boy opinions. Also, no offense but I don't think Ennis is a very good radio guy. His opinions are a little off IMO. I also feel this way about joey vandetta.

All this to say greg brady is one of the last guys I would have fired. And I always enjoyed hearing Sammut on Sportsnet tonight. I officially have no reason to turn on the fan 590 on saturday night. If I wanted to hear anything from CBS I would just listen online.

February 24, 2016 @ 8:21 PM

Brenda

And I really like Walker but his show has been mildly awkward without brady.

February 24, 2016 @ 8:25 PM

Pork chop

Brady talked too much, wouldn't shut up, felt he had to make every statement a joke. I remember when Millman was boss at the Fan telling Brady to slowdown take a breath.

February 24, 2016 @ 9:24 PM

Millennials are killing radio

Brady was the only one of the two I could stand, Walker uses "Just saying" as an argument non-starter way to often just to play devils advocate on a topic that didn't need or he was getting his @ss handed to him on.

Sammut was ok, not my cup of tea, one of many goofy audience pandering C-Team types that fill voids and fill in. The best of which is Roger LaJoie (who doesn't overly pander). Once Bob McCown leaves Rogers which, because Rogers are turning to more ADHD twitter generation pandering schlock like Tim and Sid directly opposite him, then TSN will sign him, put him with Dave Hodge and the two best radio personalities in Canada will unite for the greatest intellectual sports program ever, and Fan590 will be devoid of any intelligent discourse, only audience pandering and dumbed down twitter barf.

February 25, 2016 @ 4:01 PM

Jason

Disclaimer: Not happy Brady lost his job.

But I am happy he's off the air. I found his forced, frenetic, arrogant, verbal diarrhea style insufferable. Don't care how "knowledgeable" he might have been, his delivery and style rendered him awkward and unlistenable -- I'd frequently turn off the radio after only a few minutes of his awful monologues.

Walker isn't much better. Sometimes I couldn't even tell who was prattling on as they have similar voices and contrived, in-your-face, hyper styles that came off as completely disingenuous.

The fact that the majority of comments on Brady are similar to mine says something. As does the fact that he can't seem to hold down a show, a time slot, or a partner.

Hope he quickly finds employment, just not on the air.

February 28, 2016 @ 4:47 PM

Jason

Sorry Sammut is gone. He might not have been the most interesting or talented on-air personality, but at least I didn't find his personality to be a persona. He seemed genuine and likable, unlike most of the station's hacks, save for Blair, Brunt, McCown, Friedman and Cox.

February 28, 2016 @ 4:54 PM

brent

So…he's gone. I see no one's floated the idea that maybe Brady got fired for a reason. Considering he was openly critical of the station's moves with jibes on-air (see: Blundell, Dean) and didn't have the cache or schtick that McCown does, it wouldn't entirely shock me.

Dude made fun of McCown when he was on 640 and, perhaps tellingly, thin-skinned McCown wasn't a guest when he was on (as observed by yyzsportsmedia).

The famously prickly Brian Burke, half-jokingly said "Who's being interviewed here, me or you?" after Brady asked a long-winded question that was more observation and opinion. The grain of truth in his joke stuck with me.

He (and Sammut) had the worst word-to-UUUHHHHHHHHHH ratio(s) on the station, he couldn't finish a sentence during a monologue to save his life and too often had long-winded vaguely relevant references to youthful relationships.

His sing-song radio guy voice was absolutely comical. I found myself mimicking it while driving because it was so fun. "This COFF-ee is toOO HOT!"

Also, he had the shiniest face on television. Regrettably, they never released dogs into the studio so we could tell if he rubbed an open-faced bologna sandwich on it before he got on air. Sportsnet: invest in some powder. Please.

Like he was a graduate of the Damien Cox school of tweeting, he was an ass to fans and spoke down to them which affected my opinion of his show. Looking at his feed now, you can feel the emo bleeding through. For someone who was such a douche towards people who disagreed with his "opinion" or called him out on things he'd said, it's hard to feel bad…and yet, I do.

He was better than whatever they'll trot out next. And let's be fair…whoever takes his spot (because we all know Walker won't carry it on his own for long) is going to be equally tolerated and loathed by many—seldom loved. He was was smart, did tonnes of research and he tried to be fun; It was often terrible but, nevertheless, fun. Maybe the SN brass want more serious talent? Like Ken "sure thing Bawb!" Reid? (Nevermind.)

I"m sure he's not destitute, but he's got kids. Job loss is shitty in whatever form it comes. I wish him whatever he wishes for himself next. Selfishly, I'm glad I don't have to hear obscure name references in attempts to be funny and "Oh my heavens" on 590 anymore. The station, however, will be poorer for it.

February 29, 2016 @ 11:04 PM

Mbeale

The sad thing is that only one got fired. Brady and Walker turned out to be the most boring show on air. My comments to them when they first started were answered in the most rude manner. Won't miss either of them.
A

March 3, 2016 @ 6:05 PM

Mbeale

A

March 3, 2016 @ 6:05 PM

J Ireland

Tim and Sid were the best in the afternoon. Hard to watch them on TV when you're driving. Too bad. I only list to PTS now and Hockey Central at noon is good. Time for Tim and Sid....Time for Tim and Sid.....bring them back to radio....

March 3, 2016 @ 11:49 PM

Darren

There are FAR too many media personalities who believe they are right all the time. They put fans down and engage in negative social media exchanges when they shouldn't be reading their notifications. I rarely listen to any Sportsnet or TSN radio due to the arrogance of their on-air personalities. I don't like seeing people lose their jobs, but on the other hand, I don't think a person should get to keep their job if they're being combative & confrontational on the air or in social media. They should be viewing themselves as Customer Service reps not larger than life stars. Many media don't understand they are representing a brand and their confrontational and arrogant behaviour is no way to represent their employer. Do it on your own time on your own account. (I always laugh when I see "opinions are my own" on their Twitter accounts. Yeah, no sh*t they are your own, but that doesn't mean you don't represent your employer when your not at work. It's 24/7 job much like many other jobs in the world. Apparently some members of the media need to find their place in it.

March 10, 2016 @ 11:29 AM

Jeremy

Greg Brady was a conceited S.O.B. Sports knowledge was abysmal. Walker had to carry that show n he's not much better. Walkers sports knowledge was a bit better but, to be fair they fell into a time slot that was previously ran by two of the greatest co host Tim n Sid. Pretty big shoes to fill n they never came close to doing so.
Tim Hortons would probably refuse hiring Greg Brady cause he would go in there on his first day n act like like he's from Columbia n been a bean farmer for half his life. The peruvial nail that closed the coffin with me n Brady was him paying over a G note to go see Blue Man group.... Never trust any man that would even go see those clowns for free let alone pay money to go see an....

March 18, 2016 @ 11:01 AM

Jeremy

March 18, 2016 @ 11:01 AM

Jim

People seem to forget that this is an entertainment business driving by ratings. Go back to the Don Landry firing if you want to know why Brady was canned. Arrogant know-it-alls with no time for dissenting opinions. You can get away with that if your hauling in McCown's numbers; but when you get turfed from the morning show, you should really take a look at the reasons from every angle and admit that one them might have been that people didn't like you. So when you get another chance at the 1:00 slot, maybe you ought to eat some humble pie for lunch each day before you go on the air.
Now, if somebody would look beyond the daytime shows and apply the same scrutiny, we just might see the last of Mike Wilner! THE biggest, smuggest a-hole on either Toronto Sports Radio station!

May 16, 2016 @ 3:57 PM

DJ Thanksgiving

Boy am I glad I came across this article!... It’s quite unbelievable the turnaround that The Fan 590 made within a year. Personally I could listen to the station beginning with Jeff Blair all the way through to hearing what Bobcat is saying on the drive home. Then they go ahead and put the two morning show plugs in the afternoon slot and hire Dean Blundell who knows just as much about sports as mother Theresa. Just when you think they're done they move the very entertaining Tim and Sid show to a television spot running simultaneously with Bob Mcowans show. It’s only a matter of time before Bobcat is gone I can only assume.

I've ended up tuning into TSN Radio recently just being so annoyed with the Fan team. Too bad Michael Landsberg is just as annoying on the radio as he was on TV… Jeff Blair and Bobcat are still top notch though.
Great work TorontoMike!
/end Rant

May 17, 2016 @ 3:27 PM

Jack

There's no shortage of arrogant swelled-head a-holes on 590, from Dean Blundell in the AM who is pathetic, to whiny Jeff Blair who has trouble formulating an uninterrupted, coherent sentence, to Mike Wilner who thinks he's a baseball guru but isn't, to supposedly highly-paid Bob McCown who is a name dropping egomaniac and a huge bore, Not on this list: Stephen Brunt and Kevin Barker. Sometimes I wonder how these two can sit through the crap thrown their way.

September 17, 2016 @ 8:01 PM