How Josh Donaldson's Walk-off Sounded

Rays TV and radio, Jays TV and radio and the Spanish broadcast. Unfortunately, no French this time.

markosaar

Sidenote, really loving mlb.tv and the companion phone-app. Mysteriously their local-blackout thinks I'm in NYC so I can stream the Jays games just fine without having to use a proxy or VPN.

Disappointed I had to miss watching yesterday's game, but having the app send me updates whenever someone scored was great.

It's only $4 right now, but I'm not sure if it's going to be of any use during the play-offs. It sounds like they get blacked out North America-wide.

September 28, 2015 @ 8:56 AM

Al The Royal Pain

I really wish they would get rid of that annoying horn. They don't need it. Not now anyway.

September 28, 2015 @ 9:11 AM

@Al The Royal Pain

I actually like the horn. It's like bringing a little hockey mentality to the ballpark.

September 28, 2015 @ 9:16 AM

Al The Royal Pain

I don't really like it in hockey either. It's just compensating for a quiet crowd, which the Jays don't really need these days.

September 28, 2015 @ 9:36 AM

Douglas

Since some people are averse to the word "hate", I'll say that I intensely dislike the boat horn - in any venue, at any time.

By far, the best sound in sports is the cheering of the crowd when the home team scores, wins, etc. The boat horn came in "thanks" to American arenas in which the home team was playing to crowds of single-digit thousands. I appreciate what the team and/or arena owners were trying to do, but there are so many teams and venues where that damned horn is absolutely unnecessary.

Ban the boat horn.

September 28, 2015 @ 10:55 AM

@Douglas

You're allowed to hate the horn.

September 28, 2015 @ 10:59 AM

thesaurus minded

I find the cross-reference between a 'goal' and a 'run' amusing. The boat-horn itself reminds me of the Great Lakes. Which is 'sort of' connected to hockey. Much like the moon is connected to love songs.

September 28, 2015 @ 11:22 AM

Argie

Is the term "walk off" new? I've had a few peripheral ball fans ask me recently "what the hell does it mean?"

I've been watching baseball for almost 40 years (not a hellava lot in the past 20 yrs) and I've only noticed it in the past few years.

September 28, 2015 @ 12:21 PM

@Argie

You're right, we never called Joe Carter's homer a walk-off in '93.

"Walk-off" became popular in the late 90s and early 2000s.

September 28, 2015 @ 1:03 PM

McNulty

Is there a better way to win a baseball game? Who hasn't dreamt about that when playing baseball as a kid?

Always fun to watch (unless it is against you).

September 28, 2015 @ 2:22 PM

Andrew

I might be biased, but Buck's call is the best....

;)

Cheers,
Andrew

September 28, 2015 @ 2:26 PM

Douglas

@Andrew - Bias or not, you're right. Buck just gets more excited and enthusiastic than most (TV) play-by-play guys (without getting stupid about it). I really noticed that this year from watching various American national, regional and local feeds. Toot your horn - Sportsnet's game broadcast audio mix is one of, if not the, best. My humble opinion.

September 28, 2015 @ 4:37 PM

Andrew

@Douglas,

Thanks... much appreciated. What Buck said on air yesterday about the audio got me all choked up. I take pride in my work and to know how much it is appreciated by Buck, Tabby our producer and director really means a lot.

We don't get a lot of 'feedback' in this industry, so it's nice that people enjoy my work.

I did have a guy from MLB.com message me to say we have the best sounding show in the league, so, as Karl would say, "I got that going for me!" :)

Enjoy the last 7 games!

Cheers,
Andrew

September 28, 2015 @ 5:02 PM

headsup

@Andrew

You should take pride in your work. As someone who relies solely on the audio, I appreciate the way you capture the atmosphere of the park. Buck and Pat's voices are an excellent narration of the soundtrack you create.

I must also thank you for not throwing in tons of those annoying and disruptive bleep, boop, and swish sounds that some networks mix in when stats or a graphic pop up on the screen. Fox is the worst offender here, I think. Those sound effects are like fingernails on a chalkboard, and if anything, take away from the game experience. So thanks for creating the best audio in MLB. Your attention to detail shows and makes a difference. Keep it up.

September 28, 2015 @ 8:31 PM

Andrew

@Headsup

Thank you for your kind words. It really means a lot, especially from someone who relies on sound.

The "Fox Box" is the worst! Both Sportsnet and TSN have moved away from all the bells and whistles that litter the broadcast spectrum... not everything needs to make a noise!

I'll be back next season... for now, I move on to curling!

Cheers,
Andrew

September 28, 2015 @ 9:14 PM

markosaar

Damn Mike you're fast at updating that number

September 28, 2015 @ 9:44 PM

markosaar

I randomly have a new zipcode determined by mlb.tv, and am now watching the end of the Yankees game haha.

September 28, 2015 @ 9:48 PM

@markosaar

I'm having great fun with it. I publish it the second the win is in the books. Hope to be updating it again tonight.

Giddy-up!

September 28, 2015 @ 9:48 PM

headsup

Wow Mike, you don't miss a beat with the Magic Number Tracker!

One thing I neglected to mention previously is that, although this was an amazing walk-off moment, there is still a great satisfaction in hearing the Yankees' broadcasters facing the agony of defeat, that is just not there for the Ray's broadcasters.

September 28, 2015 @ 10:16 PM

Douglas

@Andrew - I missed hearing what Buck said (got a clip?), but I'm sure that what he said hit a home run, er, hit home with you.

For a contrast, and don't get me wrong, I think that TSN has done and continues to do a great job for the CFL and its games, check out a CFL game on TSN. I know it's not just my setup at home. Most people sit back several feet from their television, more often than not closer to their rear speakers in a 5.1 (7.1) setup than the front ones. For your baseball game audio, the game and audience is all around you, and the play-by-play call is well mixed in, easily heard. For most CFL games, the game and audience is all around you (and if you're sitting close to the rear speakers, you can often hear players talking on the field), but the play-by-play call is too often difficult to hear (yes, there is closed captioning, but it has to lag, and the action being what it is, words get left out of the text). To me, it seems like it is at too low a volume level, and concentrated on the front middle speaker. As a viewer, I should not have to adjust the audio settings on my receiver just for one show. It seems that everyone else, you as an excellent example, gets it "right".

September 29, 2015 @ 3:30 PM

Andrew

@ Douglas,

No, I don't have a clip, but what he said really meant a lot to me on a personal level. I was very touched.

As for TSN CFL - there are lots of factors as to why you're having trouble hearing the announcers in 5.1. Do you have trouble hearing them in stereo? TSN passes the Dolby Digital signal straight from the mobile production truck to the viewer at home. There should be no discernible change between what the mixer is doing and what the viewing is hearing at home. I've mixed the CFL on TSN and haven't noticed anything. Most centre channels would have an increase in +3 db for most setups. If your surround amp has multiple "modes", try playing around with them or turn the mode to off and let the metadata settings that TSN uses adjust your system.

Give that a try and see if that makes a difference. I can't speak for other mixers about how they setup their show or mix, but in my case, I don't add any effects to the centre channel and only have vocal dialogue. Some guys will use something called centre channel divergence, which adds just a hint of EFX to that centre channel, but I don't.

Hopefully that makes sense :)

cheers,