The Windup, Pitch, and Classic Confrontation

The Windup

I was jazzed about this ballgame all day. The Blue Jays had never won 12 games in a row, but were riding an 11-game win streak. I had also never met the greatest Blue Jay of all-time, and that was on the agenda. I biked to the dome and found a great parking spot, and it didn't cost me a dime.

20150814_174048

This was my first Jays game from a luxury suite. I was a guest of Best Buy and Piper, and they were incredible hosts. I think I downed three hot dogs by the third inning.

I don't remember the dome being that loud and that intense since 1993. Here's a pic of my view. The entire building was electric.

20150814_221111

The Pitch

The free tickets and hot dogs and conversation with Roberto Alomar (did I mention I was hanging with Robbie?) came at a cost. I sat in on a demonstration of the Piper Wifi Surveillance Camera & Security System. It was actually really cool, and I'm seriously thinking of picking one up.

It's only $299 with no monthly fees, and you just plug it in and point it at entry point or the garage or wherever you'd want security. Then, from the mobile app, you create rules. For example, if motion's detected, you might want to start recording, get a text, turn on a light, or even sound an alarm. And at any time from anywhere you can check things out, watch the video, change the ruleset, or whatever. The Piper, developed right here in Canada, is actually pretty awesome. You can buy it from Best Buy right here.

Robbie Alomar has a couple at his place, and after he told us about that, I thanked him for hitting that homer off of Eckersley.

bestbuypiperevent_websize 088

The Classic Confrontation

The Blue Jays have still never won 12 in a row. As you know by now, the Yankees scored 4 in the eighth to ruin the party, but it was intense until the last pitch of the game.

With two on and two out in the ninth, Tulowitzki battled through 12 pitches. All 46,689 of us stood and held our collective breath for all 12 of them. But in baseball, you really can't win them all, and the streak ended.

As I was biking home along the lake, it was dark and quiet and beautiful, and that's when I remembered it was just a regular season baseball game. We'll be fine, Jays fans.

20150814_225733

Rob J

Awesome that you got to meet your hero, though I'd put my afternoon with the Bobcat at his winery up against Alomar any day!

August 15, 2015 @ 9:41 AM

Andrew

Glad you had a good time.... it was like playoff hockey/football/curling, you name it like atmosphere in the truck last night.

That was a helluva ball game and anyone who thought it sucked that the Jays lost, doesn't appreciate sport. There was no head hunting, no name calling, no guffawing - just straight sport.

The crowd was amazing - I hope it came across as loud and as exciting as it did in my audio room. It was such an amazing experience for me to mix that game. I know today and tomorrow's game will be the same atmosphere... I only hope they can open the lid today.

Ratings come out Monday - but I'm guessing we did 1.5 - 1.7 million.

Cheers!!
Andrew

August 15, 2015 @ 9:42 AM

I'm back there Sunday. Hopefully we're looking to take the rubber match!

August 15, 2015 @ 9:45 AM

twins from bolton

In your pic Mike - I can see my son at last nights game - 1st base side 10 or 12 rows up - LOL

August 15, 2015 @ 9:57 AM

Lou

If u have anyone to blame about the loss its Jerry Howard & Wilner. Both of them were talking about that 12 g winstreak all game on the radio. Its like a goalie has a shutout going, u never talk about it or a pitcher has a no-hitter, never talk about it. Its called the JINX.

Miss Tom Cheek.

August 15, 2015 @ 10:52 AM

elvis

Thanks for nothing Mike.

August 15, 2015 @ 11:45 AM

@elvis

Remember, I attended the junior hockey gold medal game and Canada still won.

August 15, 2015 @ 12:08 PM

fourteen

Did you tell "Robbie" the spitting thing is zero class?

August 15, 2015 @ 2:01 PM

Teena in Toronto

So jealous you were there ;)

August 15, 2015 @ 2:08 PM

andrew

Mike - you're a jinx AGAIN.
Go with the flow, TOO much HYPE. Tomorrow is another day. Wait, Mike is going, Oh $h!t.

August 15, 2015 @ 5:13 PM

@andrew

There's no such thing as a jinx.

August 15, 2015 @ 5:15 PM

andrew

@ Mike

If not a JINX you are BAD LUCK commenting & going to games, just like the Laffs.

August 15, 2015 @ 7:27 PM

@andrew

Bad luck also does not exist.

August 15, 2015 @ 7:31 PM

Speysidephil

@Mike

Yes Mike bad luck does exist. Take off your blinders.

August 15, 2015 @ 8:32 PM

@Speysidephil

But you'll agree jinxes don't exist, right?

August 15, 2015 @ 9:27 PM

Speysidephil

Yes I agree jinxes don't exist.
Those Damn Yankees!

August 15, 2015 @ 9:31 PM

@Speysidephil

It's really a semantics thing. Of course, some people have more bad things happen to them through no fault of their own. Is that bad luck?

When I say there's no such thing as bad luck, I mean there aren't people who attract bad things like a magnet. I guess I'm saying you can have bad luck, but it's nothing personal.

August 15, 2015 @ 9:36 PM

Speysidephil

@Mike

Have to disagree.
You have heard the saying "If you didn't have bad luck you wouldn't have any luck at all "
There is reason For that .
It's nothing personal, but some people do attract bad luck, whether through circumstance or their own stupidity . I have seen it and lived it through friends of mine.
Go Jays Go! And make sure they win tomorrow.

August 15, 2015 @ 9:50 PM

@Speysidephil

Aye, but that's not luck. Luck is success or failure brought by chance rather than through one's own actions.

When bad shit happens to people because they weren't prepared or were stupid, that's not luck.

Bad luck is when a non-smoker finds out he has lung cancer, is hit by a drunk driver on the way home from the hospital and arrives home to discover his house has been hit by lightning.

August 15, 2015 @ 9:54 PM

andrew

You're still Bad Luck & a jinx. JMO.

August 15, 2015 @ 11:00 PM

Rob J

How is the jays losing to a team better than them bad luck or the result of a jinx. Fans that talk about jinxes forget that every NHL team grows beards for luck yet 15 of the 16 dont win. Neither captain touches the Wales or Campbell trophies before the Final(s) yet one will lose. Prove theres a connection between announcers discussing streaks or nohitters and those things being ruined. Besides, Vin Scully says -nohitter- when theres one in progress, and no one has called more successful ones.

August 15, 2015 @ 11:40 PM

Kathy 'K' Armagh

bad luck often acts as a catalyst for change. you lose almost everything and rebuild as a different person. the only hope in this is that it's 'almost' everything. there are people who lose everything.
now that's real bad luck.

August 17, 2015 @ 8:35 AM

Al The Royal Pain

Relax everyone! My son and I went to the game yesterday to counter Mike's powers of misfortune and it worked! You're welcome.

August 17, 2015 @ 9:07 AM

McNulty

Bad luck does exist....

For example....I used to travel for work a lot and the keycard to my room wouldn't work almost every time I checked in. Different hotels, different chains. I would get to my room and the card wasn't programmed correctly. No fault of my own but I had a long streak of this happening. That's just bad luck.

I was also "randomly" selected at security every time I travelled. It was to the point my former boss didn't want to travel with me because he noticed it was always happening to me. Again, not a jinx, not karna but just a bad run of luck.

If good luck exists, then bad luck must as well.

August 17, 2015 @ 10:34 AM

Geekus Maximus

Shhhhh...the boys at Rogerz or MLSE may start charging for bike parking if too many people start talking about it.

Speaking of which, Mike: what's your opinion on those electric bike/scooter things?

August 18, 2015 @ 9:34 PM