Open Mike

Welcome to this week's Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

Clem

Another high profile Leafs front office hire. This pretty much ensures yet another generation of the Leafs losing. Lets face it without Martin Brodeur the Devils would have been an average team.

July 24, 2015 @ 8:11 AM

Ryan G / hobogauntlet.blogspot.ca

From the "EVERYTHING MUST GO" department, I came across this ad while I was writing a Craigslist ad of my own for a tv I'm selling:

"Burial Plot for 5 Family Members at Park Lawn Cemetery:
Private sale of a burial plot for five family members (single plot, double depth, with space for a monument, two caskets and three cremations).
The plot is conveniently located at the Park Lawn Cemetery among many graves of those of Ukrainian and Polish descent.
Park Lawn Cemetery is located at 2845 Bloor St. West in Toronto.
The section where the plot is located is "Preferred Singles No. 9". Plot area is surrounded by beautiful mature trees, away from traffic in a quiet section of the cemetery that provides a peaceful resting place. Very attractive plot price, significantly less than purchasing directly from the Park Lawn Cemetery. I will pay the transfer fee. Email for details."

July 24, 2015 @ 9:06 AM

Lorne

Finally on vacation! On Tuesday, going to drive down to NYC to see some sights, catch some Broadway, eat some foods. =)

Has anyone done the TO => NYC drive? Any tips for routes to avoid, or restaurants to stop at on the drive there?

July 24, 2015 @ 9:34 AM

Sam in Pickering

Great summer weather wise in Toronto so far. Lots of sun and warmth.

Hallelujah.

July 24, 2015 @ 10:20 AM

Tdotter

Nobody is saying the Leafs are suddenly a good team. We still suck but at least we're hiring good people and sticking with a long term plan. I like what Shanny is doing.

July 24, 2015 @ 10:24 AM

Cheryl

Well, my Diamondbacks won last night. That's good. It's about time they won a game. My Orioles lost. Anyway, I need my Orioles to get it together and my Diamondbacks to go on a long winning streak. The Leafs won't go anywhere. Habs are winning the cup next year, trust me. You should start cheering for a good team like the Habs.

July 24, 2015 @ 11:04 AM

Early this morning, Elvis came over and we recorded episode 130. It's light and fun and I hope you listen:

July 24, 2015 @ 11:06 AM

Douglas

The drive to NYC can be boring or bordering on interesting and scenic, depending on the route. Mostly because it is not the New York State Thruway, my preferred route is I-86/NY 17 along the southern border of the state, especially if the weather is nice. The NYST may be quicker, but it doesn't wander through valleys and along the Chemung River. Unless you want to spend more time exploring west of I-390, take I-90 east of Buffalo, get off at Batavia and follow NY63 southeast to where it joins up with I-390. Have a great trip and tell us your highlights!

July 24, 2015 @ 11:18 AM

Douglas

Whoops. Above post is for Lorne.

July 24, 2015 @ 11:19 AM

Lorne

Thanks, Douglas!

July 24, 2015 @ 11:55 AM

4x4 Time

@ Lorne - If you have time on the drive, stop in Woodstock ( a bit out of the way) and stop in at Levon Helms barn for a concert. Very cool...

July 24, 2015 @ 6:39 PM

McNulty

@ Lorne

I've been to NYC twice recently. My drive was as follows:
Drive with luggage to City Hall.
Walk to shuttle bus.
Shuttle bus to ferry.
Ferry to airport.
Airport to New Jersey.
Train to NYC.

I know it's cheating. But Porter is cheap and easy.
Enjoy New York. I love it there. What show are you hoping to see?

July 24, 2015 @ 6:48 PM

4x4 Time

By the way, on travel have not had anything but good experiences with Airbnb for accomendations. Well worth checking out.

July 24, 2015 @ 6:53 PM

Amazing comeback win by Andre De Grasse in the 200m. Wow.

July 24, 2015 @ 6:54 PM

dale

Andre De Grasse & Jamal Murray just made Canada prouder again today.

Canada Proud

July 24, 2015 @ 8:26 PM

Cheryl

Not a good baseball night. My Orioles lost. It's awful. My Diamondbacks lost. What else can I say. Bring on some football. Oh well, not yet. Well, hot weather is on the way. I'll take it over snow. As long as I don't have to do much exercise in it, I'm fine with heat.

July 25, 2015 @ 7:12 AM

This Guest

Great race by Andre De Grasse. Wow. What a run.

Re N.Y. - The train winds through coastlines showing mansions on private islands from glorious days gone by. Also, believe it or not, it passes through SingSing penitentiary. You only see walls and wire but still it's a strange knowledge.

Election: How many people know their healthy child benefits cheque is taxable and they lose exemptions on their income tax. Ha. What a scam but a clever one.

July 25, 2015 @ 7:23 AM

Rick C in Oakville

My 26 year old son is getting married today to a wonderful girl (lady?) at their home they bought 3 years ago just south of Ingersoll and have been renovating. Looks like a beautiful day and if any showers looks like around 8 pm tonight.
As a parent you nurture, and guide them as best you can, today I couldn't be prouder!

July 25, 2015 @ 8:26 AM

@Rick C in Oakville

Congrats to your son!

July 25, 2015 @ 8:56 AM

LIz

@Rick

How wonderful for you and your family. Congratulations! Enjoy the day. Happy for you.

July 25, 2015 @ 11:44 AM

dale

@ Rick

Congrats to you & your family. All the best to the bride & groom.

July 25, 2015 @ 12:03 PM

Blind Dave

It's a beautiful, hot day here on the Prairies. I actually have a "down time" day for a change and I'm taking full advantage of it. I had a good one hour workout with treadmill and then weights, made a blender full of smoothies with fresh blueberries, we have salad with our own garden lettuce for supper, and a Sherlock Holmes movie (Basil/Nigel) lined up in the DVD player for my wife and I to enjoy this evening. What a lovely summer's day!

Regardless of whether the Leafs hire old talent or young blood they will always be criticized for losing until they start winning. Shanahan is doing the right thing by taking the slow, painful route. They now have an experienced management team that can pass the torch in a few years' time.

As for the "core" players, I'd love to see the last of the deadwood, but smart business says you still need something in return. This will also take time and eventually players will buy in. After that, it's a matter of having players who can play.

It will be interesting to see if Phaneuf, if he stays, can actually captain a group that wants to win and doesn't put privilege first. I just don't think Phaneuf has the authority and control that a good captain needs. Can you imagine Kessel dogging it in front of Mark Messier?

July 25, 2015 @ 3:51 PM

Anonymous

I spent the day watching the road racing at the Pan Am games. It was great. Canadian women won gold and bronze in an incredible finish and men got a bronze in what was also an incredibly close sprint at the end. I got a lot of great pictures from different spots on the track. I can't believe anyone would call these second rate athletes.

July 26, 2015 @ 12:32 AM

Cheryl

Congrats to your son, Rick. That's awesome. I'm happy for you. Orioles won last night. Miguel Gonzalez pitched a great game. Chris Davis hit a grand slam and David Lough hit an inside the park home run. 5 to 1 Orioles. Jimmy Paredes didn't play. I wonder if he will play today. Diamondbacks also won 2 to 0. Two run double by Paul Goldschmidt. That's great. Now let's do it again today.

July 26, 2015 @ 7:28 AM

Lorne

@Rick C: Congrats. And getting married at home is a beautiful idea. So very intimate.

July 26, 2015 @ 10:10 PM

Lorne

@McNulty: lol. My wife doesn't like flying; some really bad experiences as a kid. Personally, I refuse to fly anywhere America until they fix their shit with the TSA. Given the choice of getting molested or irradiated, I'll chose "fuck you I'm not flying". =)

We bought tickets to Phantom through Telecharge. Orchestra, row K (so there's aisles in front of us instead of That One Tall Person Sitting Infront Of My 5'3" Wife). We're going to try to get rush tickets for An American In Paris, too.

The rest of the time we're going to bike Central Park, go on some walking tours (including across the Brooklyn Bridge), walk along Fifth Ave and Madison to do some shopping / window shopping, and the rest play by ear. Take some trains (I've always loved watching the subway tunnels-- I still hate that the TTC got rid of the front window on the trains), walk around Grand Central Terminal.

Eat some good food-- though given the amazing cuisine we have in TO and the GTA, finding something that we don't have here is getting harder and harder. There's a Korean Fried Chicken place I know-- you just can't get good Koren friend chicken in TO. Maybe some Cuban food, don't have that in TO. And of course hit up all the bakeries and chocolatiers we can find, since we'll be walking everywhere. lol.

July 26, 2015 @ 10:17 PM

McNulty

@ Lorne

I haven't had an issue with security or TSA in a long time. Recently I got a Nexus pass and it is just so simple. Back around 2001 - 2003 I was always given a hard time but now it's pretty easy.

In New York I can't really say one place is great to eat. I always have lunch at Carnegie’s once but that's only for the pastrami. I haven't found it better in Toronto.

If you have the time I would recommend going to the Comedy Cellar, if you like comedy. It's a great mix of new comics and seasoned ones. Sometimes you get huge star. I did once but found the new ones a lot funnier. It's a relatively cheap night but a lot of laughs. Plus you get to see the Village at night and it's always a good show for people watching.

July 27, 2015 @ 7:52 AM

Cheryl

My Orioles won yesterday. That was great. Jimmy Paredes was not playing though two days in a row. That's a very long time to sit a player. Anyway, Caleb Joseph homered. Wei-Yin Chen got the win. My Diamondbacks also won. I got two wins twice in a row. Let's keep it that way.

July 27, 2015 @ 11:08 AM

This Guest

R.I.P. Flore MacDonald.

July 27, 2015 @ 12:29 PM

This guest

a not e, rather

July 27, 2015 @ 12:30 PM

Cheryl

Another lucky night. My Orioles won. Matt Wieters hit a walk off home run to win it. That's great. No Jimmy Paredes though. This is his third day off in a row so I have a bad feeling that something is going on. Maybe a trade or DFA. I have no idea. Anyway, my Orioles won so that's the most important. My Diamondbacks won as well. That's great. Let's see if we can have another night.

July 28, 2015 @ 6:29 AM

markosaar

I accidentally walked through a crime scene leaving my building this morning, though I have to assume the police were done with it.

Blood trail down the stairs, some forensic markers, and finally police lines. The problem is once I realised what was going on I was past a one-way door and couldn't exit any other way.

It was alarming to say the least. Been looking at news sites and the police news releases, but nothing has come up. So hopefully it was "merely" a stabbing and not something fatal.

July 28, 2015 @ 9:08 AM

Argie

@mark
There has been a lot of gun and knife crime this year in the city. I'm not sure how many murders we're up to yet.

July 28, 2015 @ 10:53 AM

If I'm reading this right, we're at 25 homicides. 8 stabbings, 11 shootings and 6 other.

July 28, 2015 @ 10:57 AM

this guest

Unreported subway deaths also. But those don't include victims except by ones' own hand.

July 28, 2015 @ 12:09 PM

this guest

17,894,332 mosquitoes as well (not counting eggs).

July 28, 2015 @ 12:10 PM

this guest

4 aliens in High Park during a crash landing (MEDIA BLACKOUT).

News source: 'Jimmy Bob @ Sheligh's Diner.'

July 28, 2015 @ 12:13 PM

Willy

Looks like Corus is gutting Q107, with several on-air & other staffers being shown the door.

July 29, 2015 @ 1:17 AM

Cheryl

Well, my Orioles won again. That's great. Jimmy Paredes did play last night. He went 1 for 4 with a walk. Hey, walks count because they get you on base so he went 2 for 4. He scored a couple runs. Chris Davis homered twice. Ubaldo Jimenez pitched a shaky beginning, but came around and got the win. Wonderful. My Diamondbacks won as well which is also wonderful. Anyway, my Orioles will hopefully at least get a wild card.

July 29, 2015 @ 6:10 AM

I've heard Q107 let go the following people:

Jeff Woods
Dominik Diamond
James MacPhee
Nails Mahoney

They also let go the promos guy who has been there for decades.

July 29, 2015 @ 8:36 AM

Jason from Sudbury

Ok so I know this is wishful thinking on my part but here's hoping Q107 goes back to the hardrock/pure rock format.

July 29, 2015 @ 1:34 PM

dale

I actually emailed Q107 yesterday as they sent me an email for another music survey - the 4th in 4 or 5 months. I emailed them back saying I refuse to take it which I did in the past. "I refuse to take another survey as your music selection regardless of this survey will not change. Your DJ's as old & stale - Derringer & Mitchell especially & I can almost predict what song is next with your same old, same old & seem to on a music loop".
Q is the only station I can receive with decent reception at work.

I see changes today - Jeff Woods & Diamond were good in my opinion. Why let go of a Promos guy.
Too bad people lost their jobs, but the wrong people were dismissed.

July 29, 2015 @ 6:11 PM

Cheryl

My Orioles won again. That's great. They won 2 to 0 with homers by Jonathan Schoup and JJ Hardy. Chris Tillman got the win. This is great. My Diamondbacks also won, but I don't know if they could be in the playoffs. It doesn't look like it.

July 30, 2015 @ 7:00 AM

Corus also let go my pal Kelly Cutrara from her gig at Fresh FM in Hamilton.

July 30, 2015 @ 7:02 PM

And Kim Mitchell's contact at Q107 will not be renewed. His last day is tomorrow.

July 30, 2015 @ 7:29 PM