Toronto 2015 Pan Am Games: Still Underwhelmed

We're a little over a month away from the 2015 Pan American Games. Toronto's the host city and we'll be welcoming approximately 6,135 athletes from 41 nations who will participate in 36 sports.

The Pan Am Games are not the Olympics. The Olympics are the world's biggest stage for athletics, and I love following them closely, but the Pan Am Games fail to excite me. I keep thinking that the excitement will kick in at some point, because we're the host city, but I'm still completely underwhelmed.

I read recently that a million tickets remain unsold. That's out of 1.4 million tickets in total. That sounds about right.

Is anyone excited about the 2015 Pan Am Games?

not dennis hastert former Republican Speaker of the House and shush money king

I wish the athletes well. I hope they do their best and have fun showing their skills and meeting other athletes. If the stands are empty, well, dang it all.

June 3, 2015 @ 9:28 AM

hp

Since we have the Pan Am games, we lose out at hosting the women's world soccer tournament. I would guess if people were polled they would rather host the soccer tournament.

In my opinion, the Pan AM games was a huge mistake.

June 3, 2015 @ 9:33 AM

Argie

@hp
In almost everyone's opinion, the Pan Am games are huge mistake - and a rather costly one too.

June 3, 2015 @ 9:40 AM

Alison in Ottawa

I hope the city embraces the athletes and the competition and shows up to support them, I wish I was going.....

June 3, 2015 @ 9:43 AM

Anonymous

And yet people will line up to see permanent brain damage created in real time at NFL games.

June 3, 2015 @ 10:17 AM

Douglas

While I hope that everything goes very well for the athletes who get to show their best, and many of them will make it to the next summer Olympic games, I think these games are going to be another multi-Billion dollar boondoggle for Ontar-we-owe.

So, yes, I'm underwhelmed. I know that's a word, because I looked it up. Merriam-Webster.com: Underwhelm

June 3, 2015 @ 10:29 AM

Anonymous

It will be interesting. I had heard that typically the Pan AM games have been larger than the Winter Olympics in terms of overall attendance, so this should actually be the 2nd largest event Canada has hosted.

June 3, 2015 @ 10:35 AM

Ken

"Get most on oar". Consider last fall's TorontoPanAm-agrams puzzle of 10 Games themed anagrams.
Link: http://www.zillions-of-games.com/cgi-bin/zilligames/submissions.cgi?do=show;id=2300

June 3, 2015 @ 5:18 PM

J9

Definitely looking forward to it, especially rugby. Would love to get tix for Athletics, but they were out of my price bracket.

June 3, 2015 @ 7:43 PM

fourteen

Douglas: Sloan. Nice.

June 3, 2015 @ 8:14 PM

twins from bolton

I've already taken a week off for vacation during the Pan Am games. I work very close to the airport
& been told told access to my workplace may be disrupted with athletes arriving. I live in Bolton & the Equestrian event is in Palgrave 10 minutes north of Bolton. Already been advised that hwy 50 will be closed at certain times during the Pan Am's with athletes arriving.

This was a disaster waiting to happen & HOPEFULLY doesn't.

June 3, 2015 @ 8:20 PM

Cheryl

I am not excited. Not at all. I don't want Pan-Ams. My trainer is going on holidays a week before the Pan-Ams start. He is away from July 4 to 10. He is coming back just in time for Pan-Ams. I will be without him for a week already. Don't make me be without him for an extra three weeks or so. Does anyone know if he will have trouble commuting from Hamilton to Toronto around 5:00 or 5:30 a.m.

June 4, 2015 @ 9:53 AM

Ajax Mike

I was hoping to be out of town, but it turns out I'm coming BACK right before they start. I have no plans to do anything but avoid any traffic or crowds they cause.

June 7, 2015 @ 3:44 AM

Cheryl

The thing is I will need groceries. Well, I'm putting them in the earliest delivery window as possible 6:00 to 7:30 a.m., but who knows. Why don't they post a schedule of when these events take place because we think there will be games 24 7. I do not want Pan Ams at all. Cancel Pan Ams.

June 7, 2015 @ 8:01 AM