The Results of Dean Blundell's First Spring Ratings Book at The Fan 590

Happy ratings day, my radio friends! Just this morning I was chatting with Roger Ashby in my basement (I can't believe I just typed that) and he had a deadline because of a meeting he had to attend, all because it's ratings day. It's a big day for everyone in radio, whether you're Roger Ashby or Dean Blundell.

Speaking of Dean Blundell, the spring book is now complete, and I've learned how Blundell & Co. fared on The Fan 590. As discussed in great detail last month, The Fan only cares about men aged 25-54. That's the only number I'll share, because it's the only number that matters.

Blundell & Co. fell to 5.6 in May 2015. That's down almost a full point from April 2015. That also means he managed a 5.5 for the past three months combined. Again, this is well below Rogers execs' expectations.

For a little perspective, The Fan 590 managed an 8.6 last year. This year's spring book for the morning show shows a decline of over three points.

Argie

I know CBC radio doesn't care about ratings but where did Metro Morning rank in the ratings (within that same demo)?

June 11, 2015 @ 2:59 PM

@Argie

I'd have an easier time hacking into the Pentagon than getting access to the whole book.

June 11, 2015 @ 3:56 PM

Argie

@Mike
OK. I suppose you could always ask Irv about hacking into the Pentagon. He knows people, don't ya know.

June 11, 2015 @ 4:09 PM

@Argie

I'm afraid to even joke about this topic.

June 11, 2015 @ 4:12 PM

Jillian

Is a one point change considered a big change? or do the radio stations expect ratings to go up or down by a full point? I think Blundell is still new enough at the Fan that they'll forgive this dip in ratings for his show....or not??

June 11, 2015 @ 5:49 PM

RJ

Seems to me Rogers hoped Dean and Co. would explode with a ridiculous number right off the bat. They didn't bring him in to build slowly.

June 11, 2015 @ 5:57 PM

Jose

Blundell is terrible. Ratings system is even worse. If they had an accurate way of measuring ratings it would show that no one listens to Blundell for more than 3 minutes without vomiting.

June 11, 2015 @ 6:44 PM

andrew

Blundell & Co. are pathetic &only reason I listen sometime is for guests on their show.
When guest comes on MANY times they seem confused with the questions they ask.

How much time does Blundell have? I gave up a long time ago but other option TSN is almost as bad.

Mike Richards on leave at TSN - Health problems or searching for another morning man.

June 11, 2015 @ 6:46 PM

Guy

I can't really understand what the Fan was going for with Blundell. I know his Edge show did well in it's heyday, but this isn't that show and doesn't include Jason or Todd. I don't remember anybody thinking Dean was the shining beacon of his Edge show. The fact that he doesn't know sports is just icing on the cake.

June 11, 2015 @ 7:54 PM

Gary

How come just about everyone predicted this except the execs who get paid a lot of money to make these decisions?

June 12, 2015 @ 6:48 AM

Anonymous

What a disaster! And we all saw it coming.

June 12, 2015 @ 7:46 AM

It's worth noting that the Program Director has left the station. The numbers for a morning show on The Fan 590 have never been lower in spring.

June 12, 2015 @ 8:35 AM

Argie

I thought the time was odd but they had Matthew Barnaby as "co- host" this morning. He was actually quite good.

I only heard about 30 minutes but I didn't hear Rusic this morning - vacation maybe? Hmm.

June 12, 2015 @ 9:28 AM

Anonymous

@Argie the only person who was "actually quite good" with him was Todd. But it appears he grew up and wanted away from his bs. Redwings sign Babcock. Delete.

June 12, 2015 @ 10:54 AM

Cheryl

Yes, Dean Blundell is terrible. My trainer liked him. Now he is even fed up with him. Anyway, forget the radio. Radio sure went down the tubes. Pete Griffin is turning over in his grave. CKOC is going all sports as if we don't have enough sports stations already.

June 12, 2015 @ 11:35 AM

Trugoy

I was a loyal listener of the FAN morning show since before the move down the dial to 590, through all the various hosting duos. I listened up until the last day of Brady and Walker and haven't listened since. I want to hear hard sports analysis on a sports radio station. I welcome some pop culture flavour, but Blundell can't deliver the goods from a sports perspective.

June 12, 2015 @ 2:08 PM

Dan

What is a point though? How many listeners represent one point or even 0.1?

June 14, 2015 @ 11:23 AM

Point = % share of total

June 14, 2015 @ 12:31 PM

Allan

Hey Mike. any results for Mad Dog from Virgin? With the new host Tucker, I wanted to see the difference. Thanks.

June 15, 2015 @ 10:32 AM

Lee

I liked Brady and Walker in the morning. Tried Blundell, but too immature and not funny. (And we're the same age.) Tried Mike Richards, but not much better. Now I take work calls. Handsfree of course.

June 15, 2015 @ 9:00 PM

Lee

June 15, 2015 @ 9:00 PM

Roger

I don't mind a little repartee on a radio show but the mindless banter & stupid comments from Blundell are too much to take. Even when he has a good guest, he constantly talks over them & interrupts them in mid-sentence. No place for him on any media.
So Mike are you saying that Don Kollins was let go by the Fan? It's about time he has made enough mistakes to fill a lifetime.

June 16, 2015 @ 10:15 AM

@Roger

No, I'm not saying Don Kollins was let go by The Fan. I'm just pointing out that he's no longer there. As far as I know, he left on his own.

June 16, 2015 @ 11:41 AM

Jean

The show is horrible, not funny and often offensive. The don't know how to handle sports. George Rusic has a grating voice and his comments are insipid. He was hosting this morning and as a result I finally turned off. I won't be going back.

July 29, 2015 @ 3:23 PM

Jennifer

Dean is nothing without Jason...horrible at the sports show, I could not handle 5 minutes of it...Dean is now the cliche radio host he hated so much while at 102.1 The Edge. His fake laughs are horrible and his sports opinion is horrible...bad, bad show, the least entertaining thing on the radio right now. He should check his ego, because Jason really added to his popularity on 102.1 and now Jason is adding to 97.7 Biggs show. Barr and Biggs on 97.7 is a great show, they just don't do as much talking as the edge morning show, but I absolutely love every minute Jason Barr, Chris Biggs and even Pasty Jamie are on the air. Great team and great replacement for Dean Blundell. Thanks Dean for messing up because now I have a better show at 97.7 to hear every morning :)

September 15, 2015 @ 11:43 AM

Brian

Brady and Walker know sports. Blundell is not qualified. He stumbles all over the place. And Brady and Walker are funnier, wittier and and far more insightful. I feel like I'd be better than Blundell, I don't think I'd be any good. Can him.

September 25, 2015 @ 2:36 PM

Andrew

How low can the bar be set on a morning show? You could put two dogs and a cat in the studio and get more insight into the world of sports than you can from 4 hours of Dean Blundell. I have switched to TSN 1050 (which isn't much better) simply because they talk sports...all the time. No game shows or tangents from an uninformed radio host. It is painful to hear Dean stumble over himself and state inaccurate sporting facts on a regular basis. Getting the dates wrong on sporting events or butchering names of lesser known players isn't a huge deal but it speaks to the level of (or lack thereof) professionalism that Dean Blundell exerts. Hopefully this is all over soon and someone with a background in sports comes in to replace him.

October 1, 2015 @ 2:57 PM

Frank

Agree with several others comments - The Edge morning show w/Blundell was like an 18 wheeler going off a cliff. It was brutal and unbearable well before the end. How anyone thought his shenanigans would translate into ratings on a SPORTS TALK RADIO station is so far beyond me.

How have the Jeff Blair show ratings been since Dean took over? #BlairShow has become collateral damage on my radio dial. When I'm driving into work, I'm now streaming out of market Sports Talk Radio so that I don't have to listen to Blundell. That carries over to when I arrive at work - It doesn't even cross my mind to turn on the Fan590 in the morning anymore.

After lunch, I'm a huge fan and always make a point to put on Brady and Walker. They are very knowledgeable (with respect to SPORTS!) and witty - they just seem to work well together, the dialogues just flow.

December 2, 2015 @ 9:35 AM

dave the driver

I have been a faithful Fan 590 listener since Day 1. I listened to all the morning guys on the daily drive to work, but no more. A couple of months ago I abandoned the station for two reasons: Dean Blundell and his sidekick George Russick. I have moved over to John Oakley at Talk 640. Usually I remember to switch back to the Fan and Bob McCowan for the afternoon drive home, but not always. The Bobcat will not be happy to hear that those two AM clowns are costing him listenership. Anyway, I could write a book about the ineptitude Blundell and Russick display as radio show hosts but why bother. I will be back when they are gone, and not one day before.

Signed a--former--loyal listener in the desirable male demographic.

June 22, 2016 @ 2:43 PM

Stefano Marrone

Blundell lacks one ingredient to this show a big hit - talent

September 5, 2016 @ 3:31 PM