Shomi Suggestions Lacking

When it comes to user experience, Shomi could learn a lot from Netflix. When I finish an episode of a series on Netflix, it anticipates that I most likely would want to watch the next episode next. In fact, it will auto-play the next episode if I let it. I find this awfully convenient.

On Shomi, when I complete an episode of a series, let's say episode 3 of season 3 of Californication, it suggests I watch random episodes from completely different shows. Why would I suddenly want to watch episode 5 from the first season of The Trip, a series I have never watched in my life?

20150606_123130

I mean, if I were going to suddenly start watching The Trip, wouldn't episode 1 of season 1 make more sense? And if you're going to list "You may also like" suggestions, episode 4 of season 3 of Californication really should be at the top of the list.

Shomi's interface sucks.

Rob from Ajax

Is that the Rogers box interface? Using the Rogers box is brutal, it doesn't save your show past 24 hours and doesn't indicate which episode(s) you've seen.

ShoMi has an Xbox app but that's marginally better. They just released an Apple TV app which is the best of the 3 options currently being offered but thats not saying a lot.

The overall user experience for Shomi has improved since it launched and hopefully it gets better as they expand their service to all Canadians. People ask me if it's better than Netflix. Nope, not even close. But it's a good companion to it. Kinda like an in-law.

June 7, 2015 @ 9:00 PM

@Rob from Ajax

Yes, that's using the Rogers digital receiver.

I didn't subscribe to Shomi, it just showed up as part of my internet package. I've enjoyed a few shows there, such as Transparent and Black Mirror, but the interface is just brutal.

June 7, 2015 @ 9:10 PM

Rob from Ajax

Oh yeah, the digital receiver interface is just horrendous. I was using the Xbox 360 app and it was just disgustingly unreliable. I sent them a long winded email that I was cancelling my free month. And I did. Then I upgraded the cable package, got it free for 2 years (like you im assuming) and then came back to it when the Apple TV option came online. They're working on a chrome cast option as well.

It's odd...if you're launching a service to 'rival' or, at the least, co-exist with Netflix, why not copy what they've done and add some unique features? Seemed sloppy to me.

But it's free for 2 years. So what the hell.

June 7, 2015 @ 9:27 PM

Lynne

Bell Fibe TV is even worse, Mike. I was using their HBO/TMN On Demand to watch the final season of The Newsroom on Saturday. I had just finished episode 5 of 6 and, while the credits were running, I got up to go to the kitchen. When I returned, it had bounced me back to the last regular TV station I was watching - right out of On Demand. I had to start all over again through the arduous journey through their idiotic menus: On Demand, HBO/TMN, Series, Scroll down alphabetically to The Newsroom (which takes about 25-30 clicks), find Season 3, select, find Episode 6, click play twice. (I tried "last" but it didn't work.) Good grief!

June 8, 2015 @ 10:12 AM

@Lynne

I'm sure there's a technical reason for the shitty interface, since it's not browser-based and all that, but it really is awful. First you have to find the show, then the episode, and the application never knows what you've watched and where you are in the series. So you hunt and peck until you find the episode you think you're at... then when it's over, it might kick you out or it'll do everything possible not to make it easy to start the next episode.

I'm sure the website it better, but then you don't have the advantage of saving bandwidth.

June 8, 2015 @ 10:16 AM

Icarus

Wow. You are quite the princess

June 8, 2015 @ 10:20 AM

@Icarus

Why shouldn't Shomi be compared with Netflix?

And what do you have against princesses?

June 8, 2015 @ 10:22 AM

Icarus

No reason why not. They are similar products/services.

I'm just surprised to see a fully grown man whine so much. The above post is right up there with "I wanted to shut down my computer but now I have to wait for updates to install."

Grow a pair!

June 8, 2015 @ 10:38 AM

@Icarus

This reminds me of the time I complained about the coffee mug size at my local brunch place.

There are over 12,000 entries on this site. No grievance is too small to write about.

June 8, 2015 @ 10:46 AM

Icarus

"No grievance is too small to write about."

You left out "for either a whiney man-child or 12 year-old girl"

June 8, 2015 @ 10:50 AM

@Icarus

Reading is completely voluntary.

June 8, 2015 @ 10:55 AM

Ben V

@ Toronto Mike: You are right Shomi is terrible. However Bell's version crave is slightly better, but Netflix is king.

Then again there is always popcorn time.

June 8, 2015 @ 3:28 PM

Icarus

"Reading is completely voluntary."

Indeed. As is acting like a child. which brings me to answer your second question - I have nothing against princesses. But I firmly believe adult men like yourself shouldn't figuratively dress up and act like them.

I'd go on, but it'd probably end up in a dedicated blog post...

June 8, 2015 @ 7:02 PM

@Icarus

For fun, I thought I'd review your wonderful comment history here.

As expected, most are in line with what you've posted here today. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

June 8, 2015 @ 7:05 PM

Lynne

@ Mike and Ben V

I haven't tried Crave on Bell yet. There aren't enough hours in the day to catch up on the HBO series we missed or left halfway through.

We ditched Rogers in March and now we have all these choices with Bell. Of course, Bell has ticked us off quite a few times as well, but those are the two mainstream choices for people in my neck of the woods, and the price was pretty decent with their "bundling" thing. They had a 2 year deal so we went ahead and signed up. Their PVR and remote seem to be far superior to Rogers' Nextbox. I'm not sure, but the sound might be better with Bell as well. The picture is about the same.

Rogers really blew it. We were with them for 22 years. Short of telling them right up front that we intended to cancel (that's when they usually transfer you to "retention"), we asked nicely - no we begged nicely - for a better price for the coming year. (They make you call every year to renegotiate.) This year it was different. They proceeded to insist on almost doubling what we had been paying previously. Then, after we cancelled, they wanted us back with all kinds of offers. We finally had to yell at them to make them stop calling us. Pathetic!!!

So far, our experience with Fibe TV has been quite positive, except for my previous complaint, which I can live with. I think I had better press pause before leaving the room, and run back in every 2 minutes or so to keep it where it's at.

I'm so busy with HBO, Netflix must think I died or something.

June 9, 2015 @ 8:15 AM

Chris

disclosure: I work for Rogers

Shomi doesn't suck. The interface on a Rogers box (or Shaw, or another provider) isn't perfect or even excellent. It's serviceable. Try the browser interface - you'll get the full experience and hopefully like the service a little more.

I like shomi. I've enjoyed a lot of the content they have that you can't get anywhere else, like Transparent and Black Mirror as Mike mentioned, among other stuff. It's free with my internet subscription, which is unlimited so I can use the web browser interface hooked up to my tv via a PC. There's very little I can complain about, but I'm biased anyway.

June 9, 2015 @ 1:49 PM

@Chris

I had a Twitter exchange with Shomi folks who explained they had no control over the interface on the box. Something to do with the technology.

To save bandwidth, I've only used Shomi on the box.

June 9, 2015 @ 2:26 PM

Steveo

the shomi interface is so bad on Apple TV.

There is no previously watched section.
It doesn't remember what you last watched,
won't check off what episodes you have watched, won't continue to the next episode,
When you navigate back to a show it randomly puts you at the first season on a random episode.

Did the developers not even try Netflix before making this? Did they not even bother to try it at all before releasing it.

October 26, 2015 @ 1:00 PM

C kenoras

It would be nice if you had bellator fights on your program

December 4, 2015 @ 10:27 PM

Stacy

Almost a year later and it still sucks. I don't have unlimited internet so I'm watching it on the box. It randomly shuts down on me mid-episode and then I get a error message when I try to even bring up the channel again. Poor service - but it's free with my pkg so I can't complain too much.

September 2, 2016 @ 9:29 PM